Touring Russia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
brianleach

Touring Russia

Post by brianleach »

http://www.rctc.ru/tour.html

Rather like the idea of this next year.

Can I get there by train. I feel some research coming on.

Brian
MartinP

Russian tour

Post by MartinP »

I cycled across into Russia from Finland / Vyborg to St Petersburg and on to Moscow. Can answer any questions you may have. Beware of dogs that accompany the many mushroom pickers! Also get use to not being smiled at - it's nothing personal and the Russians I met were reserved but friendly.
Martin
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Having looked at the cost it seems prohibitive. Did you go independently Martin or in an organised group. Any quick hints or tips would be helpful if you have a moment.

Many thanks,

Brian
raybo

Post by raybo »

This page has 4 links to information about bike touring in Russia.

One of the links is the same as in the original post (to the rctc -- the Russian Cycle Touring Club). The other three are to tour journals/pages about Russia that might be of help to you.

Ray
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
MartinP

cycling in Russia

Post by MartinP »

Helo Brian, I cycled solo, not with a group. Very straightforward really, got sponsored by contacting Vladimir at RCTC. $50 I seem to recall. sent my passport to Russian Embassy for the Tourist Visa. You have to register at a recognised admin. office within 3 or was 5 days of crossing the boarder, this costs a further $20 unless your Hostel / Hotel offers the service free. I could have actually bought the tourist visa at the russian/finish boarder (I turned up 24 hours before my visa was valid and got detained for a few hours at the control point) i was eventually given the option to purchase, they wanted dollars not rubles. . . Camping is a far better option than some of the so-called hotels which were mice infestered and rank. I cycled to Moscow (from Norwich) and flew BA back to UK. I did go down with a tummy bug so beware of the water / local dishes. try and stick to bottled water which can be purchased. Obviously St. petersburg, Moscow and places like Novgorod, Ostashkov, Tver are ok with decent hotels but elsewhere I just wild camped and came to no harm. Be aware in forested areas of the dogs - usually with mushroom pickers - I had 2 bad experiences - take Mace / dog spray with you! (I picked it up in Kentucky where I also met mad dogs)!
MartinP

Cycling Russia

Post by MartinP »

Brian, beware of rip-off tour guides, you dont really need them, just do it! I ran out of tarmac just once and only for 20 miles. Not sure about trains, I have heard that you have to package your bike up and it goes seperately from you so beware. I found the local helpful but reserved. good luck
Martin