Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Morzedec

Re: Corona virus - impact on European tours in next 3 months?

Post by Morzedec »

There is a rumour going around that people will not be allowed to use tandems this summer .........

Happy Daze
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Lockdown here, cycling "strongly discouraged" and in any case limited to the immediate vicinity of one's home. Cyclists reminded that the ICUs don't need extra patients. Having come a cropper myself on Monday (pre lockdown) I can see the sense of that.

There's no guarantee that the summer months will bring any change; and in any case, if the last couple of years are anything to go by, it'll be too bloody hot to be out.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Apropos the cycling ban chat, the Guardian's Coronavirus live blog just posted the following:
Laura Laker, the Graun wrote:The cycling industry will join forces to call on government to exempt cycling from any ban, due to its strategic role in the nation’s resilience - not only as transport but a form of exercise, the Bicycle Association has said.

Italy and Spain banned leisure cycling in the last week. The industry wants the UK to avoid cycling bans, and it wants bike shops exempted from shop opening restrictions as it believes cycling has a strategic role to play in mitigating some of the impact on peoples’ lives of restrictions on transport and access to the outdoors.

This follows 30 prominent health and transport experts’ calls to protect cycling and walking plus keeping parks open, and warns of the risks of confining otherwise healthy people to their homes.

Getting outside for fresh air and green spaces could be crucial in maintaining physical and mental health in the population during these times, they say.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Given the lock down of entry to European countries, I think it's safe to say all touring is off for the immediate future.

The entry restrictions to the EU from third countries doesn't apply to the UK during the transition period, but the temporary internal restrictions and border controls between some EU members like Germany and most neighbours will hinder things and probably make touring impractical.

One difficulty is that some of the restrictions have no end date. Summer tours through France aren't definitely impossible yet, but it looks unlikely to me.

Looking at China and expecting a broadly similar trajectory, I wouldn't plan anything before autumn and be prepared for disruption till next spring. Bear in mind this is the first phase of a totally new disease but most similar viral infections come in multiple waves, usually seasonal.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Morzedec wrote:There is a rumour going around that people will not be allowed to use tandems this summer .........

Happy Daze

Long wheelbase would be OK

2m separation between Pilot and Stoker
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cunobelin wrote:
Morzedec wrote:There is a rumour going around that people will not be allowed to use tandems this summer .........

Happy Daze

If you happen to be two folk who share a bed, sharing a tandem is neither here nor there.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I moved a few posts to the general corona virus topic. Please try to stick to the impact on touring in this topic.

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

pwa wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Happy Daze

If you happen to be two folk who share a bed, sharing a tandem is neither here nor there.

Oh dear times like these some levity is required :lol: We were trying to work out how to race our tandem this weekend as the (at the time) CTT advise was to exercise social distancing at events... that was before we moved to full cancellation.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Eil, hello,

I've been doing my best recently to post lighthearted nonsense, so as to counter all the 'doom and gloom' merchants - but would you believe it, I've had abuse from some of them for 'not being serious in this time of crisis'. Senses of humour absent, methinks (that's if they ever had one).

Happy days (mine still are),
Attachments
Who needs panniers .....jpg
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Happy Daze

Was not a serious post
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Morzedec wrote:Eil, hello,

I've been doing my best recently to post lighthearted nonsense, so as to counter all the 'doom and gloom' merchants - but would you believe it, I've had abuse from some of them for 'not being serious in this time of crisis'. Senses of humour absent, methinks (that's if they ever had one).

Happy days (mine still are),

Keep it up Morzy!

(are those loo-rolls in those boxes ... )
robing

Post by robing »

Never mind Europe. Looks like we won't even be able to leave our front doors at this rate.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

One impact seems to be a lot of us having more time to post on threads like this. :?
So what are the plausible best-case and worst-case scenarios? Best case, next three months, I'd think, is day rides and perhaps some very secluded overnight wild camping. Worst case, could be the end of next year before we can do much at all. Views?
robing

Post by robing »

I really wanted to go on a solo camping trip with the bike next week somewhere quiet like Welsh borders. Either wild camping or find a quiet campsite if they're open. Obviously with pubs and restaurants closed I would have to rely on my stove and takeaways. Not sure if it's a good idea now. Shame as weather looks great!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Caravan and Camping Club and Caravan and Motorhome Club both seem to be keeping their camp sites open for the moment, with messages about extra cleaning.
So campsites may still be open in the UK.

I don't think we will know for sure what restrictions are going to be in place for the next few weeks.
Government still seems to be making it up as they go along. We may know more by the end of March.

We have cancelled our late April tour to the Dutch bulb fields because of disease risk and the very high chance of everything being cancelled anyway.

My personal view is that we have had it for the next three months (original topic) and by the beginning of June we should have a view of what will be possible in the next 3 months.

One interesting thought crossed my mind.
Allegedly there are tests being developed to show if you are infected by CV, or if you have been infected and recovered.
Assuming further that if you have been infected and recovered, and are therefore not a risk to yourself or anyone else, then should you be exempted from travel restrictions?
I could speculate that a certificate of CV recovery might be something that would be required for travel and access to pubs and restaurants.
Gradually as more of the population are infected and recover the majority of normal activities could resume.
It does require something close to a Police State to implement it, though.