Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Travelling by train, sitting in an old-fashioned compartment, alone :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gaz wrote:..
Much less traffic. More speeding. Some very inattentive driving.

-1, more motor crime
We know such changes well enough
Could the roads be narrowed to slow the terrorists? Maybe they are already narrowed by millions of unused parked vehicles?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gaz wrote:..
Much less traffic. More speeding. Some very inattentive driving.

-1, more motor crime
We know such changes well enough
Could the roads be narrowed to slow the terrorists? Maybe they are already narrowed by millions of unused parked vehicles?

in Bogata they have actually closed some of the motor roads and designated them as cycling roads instead to ease congestion on public transport, an extra 47 miles of roads closed. They already close a substantial amount f roads every Sunday between 7am and 2pm and have done so since 1974 and they report 1.7Million people, a quarter of the cities population, use the roads by cycle in this period! :shock:
We could learn a lot from this thinking!
https://www.smartcitiesworld.net/news/n ... pread-5127
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:
mjr wrote:It was light traffic here most of yesterday, but then heavier than usual in the evening. I suspect the reports of Londoners heading for second homes on the coast now that schools have closed are true. Lynn had its first two C19 deaths confirmed yesterday. They won't be the last.

Congestion charge has been lifted by the anti cycling mayor, hardly surprising that London roads might be busier at times.

I'm near the coast, about ten miles inland, on the shortest route from that London.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Travelling by train, sitting in an old-fashioned compartment, alone :wink:

Do any remain in UK mainline service except sleepers?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Re: Some groups did not read the memo!

Post by Oldjohnw »

mjr wrote:
PH wrote:
Carlton green wrote:Maybe I’m wrong, but when we became Cycling U.K. we diluted something special that the CTC had and gained folk who had different attitudes (like me first and go faster regardless).

Those who like to knock CTC/CUK never seem to pass up an opportunity to do so, but there is nothing in the OP to suggest these groups had anything to do with the CTC.
My local CTC group (very much still CTC and doing what it’s done for nearly 100 years) cancelled the entire five rides a week program was soon as advised to do so. As far as I’m aware the neighbouring MGs have done the same.

Local CTC member group has cancelled, as has klwnbug, but one CTC affiliate group is currently discussing on social media how to subvert the advice. :evil:

They should be ashamed. Just like the hoards that crowded the pubs, their smartarsery will get us all banned.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Travelling by train, sitting in an old-fashioned compartment, alone :wink:

Do any remain in UK mainline service except sleepers?

ICE Berlin - Hamburg 230 kmh :wink:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The utility cyclist wrote:Congestion charge has been lifted by the anti cycling mayor, hardly surprising that London roads might be busier at times.

The Mayor thinks the reverse will happen!

All road charging schemes in London are to be suspended to help critical workers move around the capital during the coronavirus crisis.
Transport for London (TfL) said the congestion charge, ultra-low emission zone and low emission zone would stop operating from Monday until further notice.

The mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, asked for the suspension to ensure critical workers, such as NHS staff, could get around easily. The move will also help ensure supply chains, including for supermarkets, could continue, as well as keeping roads clear for emergency vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/london-road-charges-suspended-to-clear-routes-for-critical-workers
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
The utility cyclist

Mike Sales wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:Congestion charge has been lifted by the anti cycling mayor, hardly surprising that London roads might be busier at times.

The Mayor thinks the reverse will happen!

All road charging schemes in London are to be suspended to help critical workers move around the capital during the coronavirus crisis.
Transport for London (TfL) said the congestion charge, ultra-low emission zone and low emission zone would stop operating from Monday until further notice.

The mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, asked for the suspension to ensure critical workers, such as NHS staff, could get around easily. The move will also help ensure supply chains, including for supermarkets, could continue, as well as keeping roads clear for emergency vehicles.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/london-road-charges-suspended-to-clear-routes-for-critical-workers

I don't believe anything he says, he's massively stymied cycling at every avenue, he's done sausge all since coming into the mayor-ship and has no inclination to force councils to stop being anti cycling when they block any advancement for safe cycling.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The utility cyclist wrote:I don't believe anything he says, he's massively stymied cycling at every avenue, he's done sausge all since coming into the mayor-ship and has no inclination to force councils to stop being anti cycling when they block any advancement for safe cycling.

Is it a matter of Khan's credibility?
The idea itself is incredible: that removing the charge to drive in the Zone will result in less traffic.
How can anybody credit such a piece of motivated reasoning?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
The utility cyclist

Oldjohnw wrote:
mjr wrote:
PH wrote:Those who like to knock CTC/CUK never seem to pass up an opportunity to do so, but there is nothing in the OP to suggest these groups had anything to do with the CTC.
My local CTC group (very much still CTC and doing what it’s done for nearly 100 years) cancelled the entire five rides a week program was soon as advised to do so. As far as I’m aware the neighbouring MGs have done the same.

Local CTC member group has cancelled, as has klwnbug, but one CTC affiliate group is currently discussing on social media how to subvert the advice. :evil:

They should be ashamed. Just like the hoards that crowded the pubs, their smartarsery will get us all banned.

You and the rest of the sheeple should be ashamed for being so easily duped by politicians and liars like WHO.
WHOs own global (underestimated) influenza figures prove that flu killed over 137,500 people since Jan 1st to date - in fact higher due to Northern Europe/Americas winter period.
Wake up fgs, you're being sold a massive lie!
C.19 is less dangerous than flu, and if you won't lockdown or ride in singles for flu then forcing people to do so for C.19 is hypocritical at best.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mjr wrote:Local CTC member group has cancelled, as has klwnbug, but one CTC affiliate group is currently discussing on social media how to subvert the advice. :evil:

You and the rest of the sheeple should be ashamed for being so easily duped by politicians and liars like WHO.
WHOs own global (underestimated) influenza figures prove that flu killed over 137,500 people since Jan 1st to date - in fact higher due to Northern Europe/Americas winter period.
C.19 is less dangerous than flu, and if you won't lockdown or ride in singles for flu then forcing people to do so for C.19 is hypocritical at best.

1. I get a flu jab.
2. If I should have flu I would isolate. I see no virtue in passing any illness on
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mjr wrote:Local CTC member group has cancelled, as has klwnbug, but one CTC affiliate group is currently discussing on social media how to subvert the advice. :evil:

Your rants range from slightly amusing to completely annoying, but this one wins the prize for being criminally stupid.
You take a little bit of information, add your own paranoia, mix it up with the knowledge that you know better than everyone else and offer the sort of advice that gets people killed.
This is nothing like flu, go educate yourself.
Here's the first google hit to dismiss the crackpot theory that it's some big conspiracy, though you will no doubt know better and consider it more lies:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... 4845498574
Don't like that one? here's another
https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-co ... -in-common
Or another
https://www.verywellhealth.com/coronavi ... es-4798752
pwa

Post by pwa »

Walking on our local lanes yesterday, the number of vehicles was well up on a usual Saturday. We live beside the Glamorgan Heritage Coast and I am guessing that the traffic was people trying to get to places where they can walk about safely. Out of about twenty vehicles that went past on one stretch of lane, about a third were camper vans. The small VW type, or similar. And as per usual they were less willing to slow down for pedestrians than the average car would be around here.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Morzedec wrote:Um: Cug, a translation, please? Sorry if I'm a little dim or slow, but if this is important then I'd like to join in.

Happy days? - Not too sure.

Well ... working out the slightly obscure train of references to the slightly obscure social entities and the slightly obscure connections atween them is all part of the fun. A bit like posting pics of mystery-places we must all try to recognise. :-)

The CTC became CUK. That lad I quoted (or it might be a lass) alleged the change of name induced a change of behaviour in the members from better to worse. Now why would that happen....???

So I conjured up the theory that the habitues of 4chan - a toxic on-line "message board" full of the nastiest posters you could imagine and several much worse than that - saw the title CUK and therefore joined us, as, "You cuk", is the prominent insult hurled within 4chan, standing for "cuckold" apparently. All the cuks join CUK, as they will feel at home with like-kind, see?

Now, as this theory is obviously "made-up-stuff" of the mad conspiracy kind (often found in 4chan, apparently) my post drew the conclusion that such made-up-stuff theories are the only sort that could explain the notion that the CTC change of name to CUK caused worserer folk to join then do their worserer things. Yes, a bit like astrology; or The Doctrine of Sympathies.

You've spoilt it now, though, with your wanting all the rhetoric-mech laid bare!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes