Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: Some groups did not read the memo!

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
mjr wrote:Local CTC member group has cancelled, as has klwnbug, but one CTC affiliate group is currently discussing on social media how to subvert the advice. :evil:

They should be ashamed. Just like the hoards that crowded the pubs, their smartarsery will get us all banned.

You and the rest of the sheeple should be ashamed for being so easily duped by politicians and liars like WHO.
WHOs own global (underestimated) influenza figures prove that flu killed over 137,500 people since Jan 1st to date - in fact higher due to Northern Europe/Americas winter period.
Wake up fgs, you're being sold a massive lie!
C.19 is less dangerous than flu, and if you won't lockdown or ride in singles for flu then forcing people to do so for C.19 is hypocritical at best.

Have you been in that 4chan again!? :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Judging by this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

it's time all cyclists got off the road. Last place you want to be right now is in hospital, and even less so in an ICU.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Cug, thank you for the explanation, which I now understand in minute detail. Or I think I do, but then sometimes I think I am, but then who knows who I am? - philosophy has always confused me.

Sort of 'One flu over the Cuckoo's Nest'?

Happy daze,
mjr

Post by mjr »

Audax67 wrote:Judging by this:

it's time all cyclists got off the road. Last place you want to be right now is in hospital, and even less so in an ICU.

No, it's time all non essential motorists got off the road. Remove the perpetrators not their victims. At the least, install a 40 mph national speed limit apart from motorways and trunks to reduce the numbers hospitalised by driver error.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Morzedec wrote:Cug, thank you for the explanation, which I now understand in minute detail. Or I think I do, but then sometimes I think I am, but then who knows who I am? - philosophy has always confused me.

Sort of 'One flu over the Cuckoo's Nest'?

Happy daze,

More "Non-flu in the cuckoo's rest" which is driving the CUK cuckoos to be more cuckoo than usual. These COVID threads are a fine source of behavioural and mind-state data for amateur cyclocologists and Manthro-apologists everywhere!

I yam tempted to begin a thread on "How to Manage Without Toilet Roll". The short answer is: "bidet, fingers, soap and a towel" but this may cause a run on bidet-buying and perhaps also on soap and towels.

Meanwhile I am avoiding Snowdonia, not so much to prevent contraction of the filthy disease but to keep up my long-time policy of social distancing, motivated by an unsupressable social dislike of 99.9% of human doings. Happily the tracks and lanes of West Wales and it's fforests are as empty of other people as they always are. Well ... there is a dirt bike event in Fforest Brechfa today but we are all excluded for the weekend anyway, because of danger of death by knobbly tyre and flying metal rather than by badbug.

Cugel, about to go out on a bike ride in the sun (for a change) down the empty lanes of nowhere I'm telling anyone about.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Watch out for Twm shon catti and the Tylwyth teg, little people :wink:
Walked home late from the train station, not much traffic, most exceeding the maximum speed limit :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

Definitely less busy today, on the trunk roads and lanes. I would expect it to be busier had things been normal with mums and grans being ferried to cafes and tea shops here and there. You have to feel for the owners of those establishments. This weekend must represent a much needed boost to income at the lean end of the year and a fair few have probably already invested in and prepared for the coming season, and for what?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Went out for a couple of hours on the tandem for exercise this mothers day morning. Completed 2 loops around our village for a total of 27 miles with a coffee break at home after the first circuit. This is a list of other road users we passed. 104 cyclists, biggest group was 4 apart from a lot of family groups with young children, 24 motor vehicles of which 9 were monster slurry pulling tractors, 6 joggers, 5 dog walkers, 3 horses with riders, 2 ramblers judging by the maps they carried.
These are rural roads in Somerset so social distancing was not a problem. Let's hope some of those overcrowded honey spots don't spoil it for everyone else. Our village has its share of 2nd homes and some have relocated here to get out of London.

Stay safe. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

It's time personal motoring was banned, this is the direct cause of tens of thousands of people being put in hospital every year just in the UK, in fact ban walking as this does more direct harm to others than people riding bike, we know this is factually true, the governments own lackey who tried to prove that cycling was dangerous in her 2018 paper had to put the facts down despite her uneducated bias rantings about cycling incidents going back decades.
grufty

Post by grufty »

mjr wrote:

No, it's time all non essential motorists got off the road. Remove the perpetrators not their victims. At the least, install a 40 mph national speed limit apart from motorways and trunks to reduce the numbers hospitalised by driver error.

+1
Time for private vehicle speeds to be restricted to HGV limit, and blanket max 15-20mph in urban areas?
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Coming back home tonight I was passed by heroes that made my 60mph look positively pedestrian, so no. The announcement all those weeks ago by boris.gov.uk that the ecilop will ignore low level crime seems to have only emboldened and encouraged the wannabe Hills and Couthards. I fear the probable rise in crime more than the coronavirus now.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

mjr wrote:

I'd agree with this, mjr. Lower driving speeds means less "accidents". Wouldn't want to be a motorist hospitalised, either, at the present time.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Rush hour in the village today. You can gauge the size of these monsters by how they reach the upstairs windows of the cottages and the size of the front wheels which dwarf the cars. They are used to cyclists and give them room :D unless they are on the mobile, and they don't hang around. I caught these 3 in the space of 10 minutes. Theres fleets of them coming and going or should that be convoys. Good job they are depositing there loads upwind. :lol: :(
tractor 1.JPG
tractor 2.JPG
tractor 3.JPG
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

The air quality is noticably better.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Talking of air quality.... I'd not realised how many jet aircraft are 'background noise' constantly even here in rural Norfolk - I can hear the birds singing in all their glory and the aircraft are conspicuous by their absence! :D