Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Takeaways are still open, I believe. And pubs can do takeaways.
....... and sit in the garden.
Doing this this evening.

This is an odd one - they shouldn't be allowing you to use the garden, even the MacDonald's have closed off the outdoor seating areas, they're still on the same premises, you haven't taken it away.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick f knows best.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PH wrote:You may be mixing up food and alcohol. Acting as a takeaway has always been a matter of the premises planning permission rather than any license, the only license is a Food Business one and covers all elements and is held by the business or individual and not tied to any premises. The Government has relaxed the planning permission regulations for the duration, so all food outlets can offer takeaways.

Yes, takeaway can't be seperate issue otherwise many restaurants could not allow food to be taken away in a doggy bag, which I've seen on numerous occasions and not just in restaurants which have a parallel takeaway service.

Sometimes I've seen a container/box/bag used which clearly identifies that this is not 'normal' practice, not saying it's unhygienic, just that they evidently don't order in hundreds of boxes for that eventuality.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Psamathe wrote:I've been a bit shocked/surprised over the last few days talking to a few people who voted for Boris (who don't even know who their constituency MP is and regarded their vote for Boris). And they are now saying how he is totally out of his depth and handling things disastrously. And this is people who supported and voted for his relatively recently!

Ian

See this link from yesterday which reports of an opinion poll which shows that the majority of the population have confidence in Boris.

It also reminds us that the Conservatives have their highest opinion poll ratings since 1983.

Perhaps you should widen the circle of people you speak to. By Skype or similar methods of course until we can all go out to speak to people in person again.

https://order-order.com/2020/03/21/majo ... nce-boris/
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I've been a bit shocked/surprised over the last few days talking to a few people who voted for Boris (who don't even know who their constituency MP is and regarded their vote for Boris). And they are now saying how he is totally out of his depth and handling things disastrously. And this is people who supported and voted for his relatively recently!

Ian

See this link from yesterday which reports of an opinion poll which shows that the majority of the population have confidence in Boris.

It also reminds us that the Conservatives have their highest opinion poll ratings since 1983.

Perhaps you should widen the circle of people you speak to. By Skype or similar methods of course until we can all go out to speak to people in person again.

Your maths are skewed yet again, it proves no such thing.

All you can say is that those who answered that question are in favour. As with your "Population" claims for Brexit earlier, your claims about MP majorities, the facts do not support your claim.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cunobelin wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Ian

All you can say is that those who answered that question are in favour. As with your "Population" claims for Brexit earlier, your claims about MP majorities, the facts do not support your claim.

I'm happy with opinion polls. They aren't always correct but they usually are, and they are rarely as wrong as they'd need to be to make these particular results incorrect in their claims about Boris's popularity and support for the Conservatives. Given the scientific approach well known opinion poll companies have in choosing their sample of voters your claim that opinion poll results represent nothing but the opinions of that sample is not credible and perhaps indicates a determination not to face facts.

Several other recent opinion polls have shown high support for both Boris and the Conservatives. There can be little doubt that both Boris and the party enjoy widespread support from the voters of this country at the moment.
PH

Post by PH »

carpetcleaner wrote:

Ian

We live in troubling times, we need leadership that makes the right decisions, surely even you can see the difference between that and popularity.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

PH wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Ian

We live in troubling times, we need leadership that makes the right decisions, surely even you can see the difference between that and popularity.

The question on the poll was 'How much confidence, if any, do you have in the following to make the right decisions when it comes to the corona virus outbreak'?

Boris was way out ahead of the others on 53% who answered a lot or a fair amount of confidence.

Of course, pollsters choose a representative sample of voters, something which won't please those clever and educated people who don't think the uneducated and ignorant should be asked about anything important. They'll claim the poll result should be ignored, just like they did with the result of the 2016 people's vote.

For the majority of us who respect the opinion of all voters the result does have significance.
PH

Post by PH »

carpetcleaner wrote:
PH wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

The question on the poll was 'How much confidence, if any, do you have in the following to make the right decisions when it comes to the corona virus outbreak'?

Yes, if you agree with the actions being taken then you'll have confidence in them, that's popularity.
I've been reading about the change in policy over the pubs and other venues being closed down, the medical advice remained constant, it was known to be better for people to stay away. The experts differed on the behavioral aspect, with the idea that people would be more likely to conform to restrictions they'd placed on themselves. They were wrong, hence the change in policy, but the ideas have taken hold and it's harder to impose restrictions now than it would have been earlier.
This isn't intended to be party political, or even anti Boris, I'm not suggesting the policy wasn't made with the best intention, I don't know, I hope it was. But when it's demonstrated to be wrong, they should come out and say so to mitigate the error, that might dip the opinion polls, but IMO it would be strong leadership.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

I'm happy with opinion polls. They aren't always correct but they usually are, and they are rarely as wrong as they'd need to be to make these particular results incorrect in their claims about Boris's popularity and support for the Conservatives. Given the scientific approach well known opinion poll companies have in choosing their sample of voters your claim that opinion poll results represent nothing but the opinions of that sample is not credible and perhaps indicates a determination not to face facts.

Several other recent opinion polls have shown high support for both Boris and the Conservatives. There can be little doubt that both Boris and the party enjoy widespread support from the voters of this country at the moment.

You are still making ridiculous claims. Your maths has been proven dodgy on so many occasions, yet you come back with the same claims yet again.

Lets look at the way this works

Here is a breakdown of a YouGov Poll with the details of how the votes were cast.

Boris is considered competent by your majorities by more 39 stating he is fit and 37 saying he isn't fit. However if you look at all the numbers 62 do not consider him fit for the role

It will be that same with the third-hand quote you have used.
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

There can't seriously be anyone happy with the way boris and bankrollers are handling this crisis ??

Also thanks tory voters for all those "unneeded" beds slashed by the austerity maddened ministers. If you voted for cuts you should be last in the queue
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Opinion polls must always be viewed with suspicion. The question asked and how it is framed can be made to generate answers that suit the questioner. I am not an expert on this but I have seen a lot of polls that are a bit dubious to put it mildly.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ambodach wrote:Opinion polls must always be viewed with suspicion. The question asked and how it is framed can be made to generate answers that suit the questioner. I am not an expert on this but I have seen a lot of polls that are a bit dubious to put it mildly.

Hadn't got to that bit yet, also the reason, I gave the numbers

CC has a habit where if his agenda has one more 'vote" then they claim a massive majority of the population is on their side. Something that has been proven to be deeply flawed on multiple occasions.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Johnson says he will do whatever is necessary at the right time.

Like about two weeks ago.
John
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cunobelin wrote:
ambodach wrote:Opinion polls must always be viewed with suspicion. The question asked and how it is framed can be made to generate answers that suit the questioner. I am not an expert on this but I have seen a lot of polls that are a bit dubious to put it mildly.

Hadn't got to that bit yet, also the reason, I gave the numbers

CC has a habit where if his agenda has one more 'vote" then they claim a massive majority of the population is on their side. Something that has been proven to be deeply flawed on multiple occasions.

Can you show me one instance of this alleged habit of mine?

I don't claim that small wins in votes mean a 'massive majority' for my side.

Some people on here claim that any sort of majority for their opponents is no indication of public opinion or any indication of who the public wants to rule the country.

That kind of arithmetic desperation is deeply flawed, and most amusing too. I look forward to more examples of it on this forum.

This Twitter account tells me a lot of things I like to hear at the moment.

https://twitter.com/britainelects?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor