Money during Covid

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brooksby

Re: Money during Covid

Post by brooksby »

Tiberius wrote:
With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.

Yes, it'll be much better when the banks and - through them - the Govt can track every single transaction you make, cut you off electronically (even by mistake), etc, etc.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Makes perfect sense to me.Why carry something you don't need?
I rarely carry cash now.I use contactless but also have Apple pay on iPhone and iWatch.I've not used the Applepay yet as I just take my bankcard with me but I'm going to give it a go at some point.
I don't believe it's an age/generation thing either.I see plenty of older folk using contactless.
I think it's more of a stubborn/stick-in-the-mud/Luddite thing :wink:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

100%JR wrote:Makes perfect sense to me.Why carry something you don't need?
Which is why I don't routinely carry cards when cash will do.
I think it's more of a stubborn/stick-in-the-mud/Luddite thing :wink:
Probably. Cash is tactile, like reading a paper book versus an ebook. If I cannot use cash I suppose I will have to take my shoeboxes full of tenners to the bank just so I can use contactless. :lol:
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

tatanab wrote:Cash is tactile, like reading a paper book versus an ebook. If I cannot use cash I suppose I will have to take my shoeboxes full of tenners to the bank just so I can use contactless. :lol:

Cash is fine if everything is a rounded figure.£5,£10 etc.Call at a cafe on the bike,pay then get coins and they rattle about in your pocket :roll:
A card is the same no matter how much something costs.My bank app then notifies me how much I've spent and how much I have in my account.What's not to like?
Regarding your book reference I don't read books so can't compare but I do read magazines online now instead of a physical copy.

There's a new(ish) eating/drinking complex opened in Sheffield at Kelham Island where no cash is accepted at any of the bars etc.Brilliant!No waiting for change,just order,pay and walk away 8)

Thankfully nowhere accepts cheques any more.Now that was annoying!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Blimey that's a lot of paranoiac stuck in the mud people here :(
One thing is for sure moving with the times means you will never end up in a situation where you can't pay for something.
I can't help it but I was in the scouts and the boys brigade and maybe it comes for me not having any money in my youth, that I carry all means of payment, what's not to like for a few grams.
I think I have use contactless just a twice.
But it's nowhere near as bad as the first time I used an aqualung at a swimming pool.
The more you do it the easier it is.
Put it this way let's say you are miles from home something goes wrong with your bike so you can't ride it and you can't contact anybody either, it's tipping down with rain and your cold.
You stumble across somewhere to eat and you need a taxi to get home?
Get real.
Tinfoil, Well some used to years ago wrap their sandwiches in didn't they :)
I do also wonder how I ever survived so long collecting money for paper rounds.
If you're old and you ain't dead yet what's going to kill you? A toxic old penny :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:If you're old and you ain't dead yet what's going to kill you? A toxic old penny :P

If it really was copper then you’ve a 4 hour window of risk.
It’s not so you’ll hold on to that opportunity for longer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:One thing is for sure moving with the times means you will never end up in a situation where you can't pay for something.
Still handy having cash available and acceptable. I recall the local co-op having a computer crash or something like that. They continued by using cash only and noting down how much had been spent. Certainly made stock control difficult but kept them open for customers for the couple of days it took to fix. Same would apply in the case of a power cut.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

tatanab wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:One thing is for sure moving with the times means you will never end up in a situation where you can't pay for something.
Still handy having cash available and acceptable. I recall the local co-op having a computer crash or something like that. They continued by using cash only and noting down how much had been spent. Certainly made stock control difficult but kept them open for customers for the couple of days it took to fix. Same would apply in the case of a power cut.

Hi just to clarify, I always carry cash card et cetera.
Yet to use Apple Pay?
How is Apple Pay safeguarding on your phone?
As well as notes I always carry change just in case you in-counter one of those paid to P machines.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

well that's me out, I don't have a smart phone
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:[
Yet to use Apple Pay?
How is Apple Pay safeguarding on your phone? .

It needs your face or thumb recognition or a PIN number if you prefer. That’s why you can scan for over £30 as you’ve already done your PIN on your own personal machine.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cugel wrote:How much gets added to the cost of a thing by prattle-gizmo payment, by the way?

A few pence flat fee at most I've seen, but it depends on the seller's bank terms. I suspect it costs most shops less than the cost of banking cash.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

brooksby wrote:Yes, it'll be much better when the banks and - through them - the Govt can track every single transaction you make, cut you off electronically (even by mistake), etc, etc.

This is why anonymous prepaid cards are important. Keep 'em guessing!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Called at our local farm shop / butchers this morning and the sign outside said: "wait at the door, we will come to you" and "please pay contactless, if possible".
The lady came to serve me and I asked if they were coping.
"What you see is what we've got" she replied.
I looked inside and the two counters, normally fully stocked, contained one piece of belly pork - that was all.
So, no contactless or cash required.

Popped into town and my favourite coffee shop had a sign outside saying takeaway only.
Went inside and sign said contactless only.
Ordered my takeaway (first time ever) and paid contactless.

My favourite barista had told me last week that she was finishing in a couple of weeks and moving away.
She told me that the coffee shop would be closed from tomorrow and got a bit upset when she realised this would be her last day.

Went outside to drink my takeaway coffee (nowhere near as good) but decided to call back in and give her a fiver tip as thanks for her friendly service (she always asks about Mrs.Copy since her hip op).
Thankfully, she was happy to take cash for that. :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Tiberius wrote:With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.
I was once roundly told off for using the words "with respect" to start off a post. I was told it was extremely rude and tantamount to trolling.

Perhaps you should consider this. And lay off the patronising!

I'm 62, does that make me 'the elderly' ?
Well, I'm nearly 70, so I'm older than you. And possibly a bit wiser. :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

661-Pete wrote:
Tiberius wrote:With respect, get used to it. It is the way it's going and it suits me just fine.
I was once roundly told off for using the words "with respect" to start off a post. I was told it was extremely rude and tantamount to trolling.

Perhaps you should consider this. And lay off the patronising!

I'm 62, does that make me 'the elderly' ?
Well, I'm nearly 70, so I'm older than you. And possibly a bit wiser. :?

"Tiberius". Pseudonyms say a lot all by themselves, eh? :-)

Cugel (look it up).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes