Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by pete75 »

djnotts wrote:With new restrictions hoarders don't look so stupid. Wish I'd bought some more food - and a freezer!

Yep they may well avoid infection by not having to go out to shops and supermarkets for a while. I was criticising them but I've changed my opinion now - they are wise and prudent people.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
djnotts wrote:With new restrictions hoarders don't look so stupid. Wish I'd bought some more food - and a freezer!

Yep they may well avoid infection by not having to go out to shops and supermarkets for a while. I was criticising them but I've changed my opinion now - they are wise and prudent people.

maybe just as well as they have all probably got the virus thru having scrummed around at the supermarket doors before they open just to get first dibbs at the meat/loo paper/soap/tins that were just put out on the shelves?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have only four T-rolls left, going to the store yet again today in the hope of snaffling some, more exposure for me caused by the hoarders :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have only four T-rolls left, going to the store yet again today in the hope of snaffling some, more exposure for me caused by the hoarders :?

I'm gonna get me one of those 'Japanese' posh loo seats. They wash, dry and generally pamper ones nether regions.

When you think about it, it's a bit odd that bidets fell out of fashion. They were all the rage amongst the aspirational middle classes at one point.
col2019

Re: Bike Shops Closing Due To Virus

Post by col2019 »

every one should do the right thing,and stop panic buying,and filling the garages etc in my opinion any one caught doing this should have the food taken away and given to the vunrable
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Police in Cornwall have today reported that a commode has been stolen.

Apparently, they have nothing to go on.

(Just how old can a joke be?)
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Bike Shops Closing Due To Virus

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

col2019 wrote:Every one should do the right thing,and stop panic buying...

Bike shops have not really suffered with panic buying interms of stock piling.

But, many have decided not commute by public transport and have rediscovered their bike, an improvement in the weather and perhaps a desire for exercise have probably added to the increased workload for cycle store workshops. Some of these people, the new commuters especially I have seen something that resembles panic.
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 24 Mar 2020, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I did go shopping today briefly. Some perishables we really did need. Waitrose were operating a "one-out, one-in" procedure, to limit crowding in the store. And the queue waiting outside wasn't over-long, and was well spaced out and orderly. I think that's a good plan. As long as people don't mind waiting - for now. I suppose one will get used to it.

It's those who are still working, like the medics, who will lose out. Those who don't have time for lengthy waits at the supermarket.

I might also add, Waitrose were giving away free flowers to all their customers. I suppose they got a lot in for Mother's Day, and then no-one bought any. I politely declined the offer (no room in my panniers) - but if they'd been offering, say, nasturtiums, I might have taken some :) . Nasturtiums are edible.... at least, the leaves are :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Costco in Haydock was pretty quiet.

No shortage of stuff, if anything it looked overstocked given the number of people wondering around.
Tons of fresh fruit and veg, tins etc.

Even lots of bog rolls although it was a max of "One bale per customer" - don't know how many is in a bale but I'm pretty sure we're still on the bale I bought over a year ago.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Morzedec wrote:Police in Cornwall have today reported that a commode has been stolen.

Apparently, they have nothing to go on.

(Just how old can a joke be?)

they should get off their backsides and find the culprit
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There's a follow-up to the recent story about the solid gold toilet recently stolen from Blenheim Palace.

Apparently the thieves have returned the toilet intact, but have now stolen all the toilet paper.

Police now have something to go on, but are unable to clean up the case....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

kwackers wrote:I'm gonna get me one of those 'Japanese' posh loo seats. They wash, dry and generally pamper ones nether regions.

Please post a review when you get it ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

One possible suspect, of American descent, apparently said when questioned, "It's a bum rap".

Policeman replied, "If you own up, we will be able to wipe the slate clean"

Second suspect, of Australian descent, apparently said, "G'Day, Sport"

Happy days,
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:I did go shopping today briefly. Some perishables we really did need. [...]

Likewise. It was the last fresh food market for the forseeable here today. Probably because some traders would already have ordered stock before last night's late announcement, the council sensibly allowed the market to proceed, but there were only food stalls and not even all of them, so they were well spaced out. People were queuing with a very large gaps. The same gappy queues could be seen outside banks and Boots, while Superdrug were operating their doors manually and they have a large store so there was not a queue.

After a quick grab of soup and a few other things in a bucket shop, I went to a supermarket in an attempt to restock long-life goods used over the last two weeks, but it was less shopping and more like a game of "food hide and seek". I feel the store had been hit by another round of panic buyers because, for example, the main area of tins of beans and so on were bare, but the world food ghetto which has some beans, often under unfamiliar names, still had them. In salted water rather than plain but close enough when there's no choice. Sadly, toilet roll isn't also stocked under some Caribbean Spanish name!

With any luck, next time I go shopping won't be just after Boris the Bringer of Panic flaps his chops and I'll be able to restock more long-life things.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:With any luck, next time I go shopping won't be just after Boris the Bringer of Panic flaps his chops and I'll be able to restock more long-life things.

But isn't that every single day now? :shock:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.