Cattle grids...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cattle grids...

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:Your state pension and your navy pension comes from England though!
Anyway.......you're Welsh!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's put this to bed.

My OAP and my Service Pension come from UK as everyone's government pensions do.
I was born in Wales and have a Welsh birth certificate. Mum and Dad were from Wigan. We moved back to Wigan when I was less than three years old.

If my mum and dad had been astronauts and I was born on Mars, would that make me a Martian?
Answer this question please.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Your state pension and your navy pension comes from England though!
Anyway.......you're Welsh!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's put this to bed.

My OAP and my Service Pension come from UK as everyone's government pensions do.
I was born in Wales and have a Welsh birth certificate. Mum and Dad were from Wigan. We moved back to Wigan when I was less than three years old.

If my mum and dad had been astronauts and I was born on Mars, would that make me a Martian?
Answer this question please.

You can be whichever you want Mick. You don't have to have one rigidly defined identity.
I gather you are a bit Welsh, a bit Lancashire, and lately rather Cornish. In fact the mixture is one of the factors in your makeup.
And yes, if you had been born on Mars, you would be in a sense a Martian, and famous for it back Earthside. At the same time you would be plainly human.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Bmblbzzz wrote:What do people reckon on flat v round bars?
You'd think the round bars would be less juddery but in practice I find they're often more so, as the gap between the tops of the tubes is greater than then gap between square bars.

The only time I have met round bars (on Skye) I was on a Brompton and had to cross on foot - very frustrating as there were an awful lot of such grids!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

If you're not sure dismount, you're not in a race, you've nothing to prove, weather conditions, tyre choice on the day/pressures, your experience and knowledge all factor in but ATEOTD a few seconds lost time can save you a heck of a lot of grief if you have any doubts.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again utility
Sometimes the bars are old railway rails, I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

LollyKat wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:What do people reckon on flat v round bars?
You'd think the round bars would be less juddery but in practice I find they're often more so, as the gap between the tops of the tubes is greater than then gap between square bars.

The only time I have met round bars (on Skye) I was on a Brompton and had to cross on foot - very frustrating as there were an awful lot of such grids!

I've never been to Skye but I've met a few with round bars. Can't really remember where though. :( I'm sure there's a bit of local variation.

Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again utility
Sometimes the bars are old railway rails, I think

Yes, I think you're probably right.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mikeymo wrote:This causeway is one of the few bits of straight two way road at our usual holiday hideaway. So some of the locals drive a bit fast along it (and some of the trippers if they're rushing for the ferry). The cattle grids at each end give a nice audible warning of a fast vehicle coming from behind.

If I'm feeling nervous about the grid, I just hop on a passing otter:

Orkney?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

foxyrider wrote:
mikeymo wrote:This causeway is one of the few bits of straight two way road at our usual holiday hideaway. So some of the locals drive a bit fast along it (and some of the trippers if they're rushing for the ferry). The cattle grids at each end give a nice audible warning of a fast vehicle coming from behind.

If I'm feeling nervous about the grid, I just hop on a passing otter:

Orkney?

It's the causeway from Eriskay to South Uist
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Back to the topic.
Anyone noticed the difference between cattle and sheep grids?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They're all the same here.
Mind you, there are far more sheep hereabouts than cattle.

They're ALL called Cattle Grids though.

Strictly speaking the word "cattle" comes from the word "chattle" meaning belonging to you, so any livestock is cattle including sheep.
It's the usage of the word that has changed.
Mick F. Cornwall
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, Ride a Tricycle then you won't give a monkeys! :lol: :lol: :lol: MM
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Cattle Grids

Agree with others about going straight and not too slowly.

Well when I first came across a cattle grid in the 1970’s I rather foolessly slowed down and stop on one. I discovered how difficult it is to extract myself from this situation.
Many years later I told a friend to ride at right angles and to keep their speed up what did they do ride at angel and braked. They fell on down on the grid that on a sloop. They now have to dismount and walk over them.

In the 1970’s a group of us were riding alone the access road to YHA Wilderhope Manor, Longville in the Dale, Much Wenlock TF13 6EG one of our party riding a fix wheel jump over the cattle grid, he was very strong rider, he no long with us.

One for MikeF from Devon/Cornwall boarder country. Whilst I lived in Plymouth, I had the pleasure to experience going over a cattle grip both going up and down on a bead on the Yelverton to Princetown road. I am now unable to find it on google earth. MikeF Any ideals if it still there?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Tinpotflowers wrote:One for MikeF from Devon/Cornwall boarder country. Whilst I lived in Plymouth, I had the pleasure to experience going over a cattle grip both going up and down on a bead on the Yelverton to Princetown road. I am now unable to find it on google earth. MikeF Any ideals if it still there?

I can't think of any on the road between Yelverton and Princetown, but there is one further back towards Plymouth, near Clearbrook which fits your description. It's halfway up a steep hill, so you crawl up it on the way out from Plymouth and whizz over it on your way back:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.4629897,-4.0783578,3a,75y,80.57h,68.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s62qTVaeggxDW3wtYdrVQFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yelverton to Princetown road is the B3212.
Cattle grid near the top of Peek Hill.
Been up and down it hundreds of times.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51065 ... 384!8i8192
Mick F. Cornwall
hercule

Post by hercule »

I’ll confess to being a wimp... if I’m on two wheels, I walk. I have a very active imagination which causes me to be terrified of the possibilities. When I was younger and perhaps less worried about pain I would jump them at speed.

On three wheels I’ll charge on regardless though.