Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Post by mercalia »

I wonder what would have happened if Cameron/Osborne were still in power?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Something else that struck me today, is the thing about ramping up the testing. BoJo thinks ( quite rightly) this is a fabulous idea, and wants it done ( good move ) certain folk are coming out with all sorts of weird and wonderful excuses for why it isn’t a good idea. If you increase the amount of testing, you ( pretty much ) guarantee to find a lot of people who have the virus, but never show symptoms, or very mild symptoms. Why would anyone be concerned about that? Hmmmmmm I wonder :roll:

Random sampling would give you a pretty good idea of where we were at.
I don't understand why we shied away from it.

Currently it looks as though massively more folk have it than the numbers suggest because unless you're unwell enough to go to hospital nobody is going to test you (which also explains the high mortality rate with regards to "closed" cases.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I wonder what would have happened if Cameron/Osborne were still in power?

A referendum on whether we wanted the bug or not.
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Suggestion, please for a forum 'Supreme Being'.

After myself (of course) I'd go for either Cug or Mick, both of whom amuse and entertain me with their posts.

Having thus suggested, there are quite a few useless wafflers on here that I'd send down to the Fiery Pit.

The things we think about, to try and keep things lighthearted. Happy days,
Attachments
Our new office girl.....jpg
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Moderator note:

Ignoring government and medical advice, or recommendations to others to do so will be removed from this thread.

Folks are welcome to discuss the science, contributing factors, etc., but not wilful disregard of government guidelines.

Thanks for understanding.

So you're saying that anything which challenges or questions whether to obey the diktats of Boris Johnson will be removed?

Not at all.

Specifically with regard to social distancing, self-isolation, etc.

If someone posts advice to flout the rules, the posts will be removed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

kwackers wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Something else that struck me today, is the thing about ramping up the testing. BoJo thinks ( quite rightly) this is a fabulous idea, and wants it done ( good move ) certain folk are coming out with all sorts of weird and wonderful excuses for why it isn’t a good idea. If you increase the amount of testing, you ( pretty much ) guarantee to find a lot of people who have the virus, but never show symptoms, or very mild symptoms. Why would anyone be concerned about that? Hmmmmmm I wonder :roll:

Random sampling would give you a pretty good idea of where we were at.
I don't understand why we shied away from it.

Currently it looks as though massively more folk have it than the numbers suggest because unless you're unwell enough to go to hospital nobody is going to test you (which also explains the high mortality rate with regards to "closed" cases.

Quite right. If you increase the numbers of people who are infected but asymptomatic / very mildly effected, it dilutes the ‘panic factor’ because the infection / deaths / serious illness ratio drops, making it look more like it actually is. That’s the issue. Reduce the panic, reduce the ease with which you can justify the draconian control measures to the masses. Add in the fact that more is made of the situations in Italy and Spain, the reasons for which are only now being realised / widely publicised. The disproportionate severity in those country’s, is down to a mixture of increased median age, and culture ( far more ‘Cafe culture’ for example) and you start to see things in a slightly different light.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

So you're saying that anything which challenges or questions whether to obey the diktats of Boris Johnson will be removed?

Not at all.

So if someone posts something which suggests not following Johnson's diktats it will be removed?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:Currently it looks as though massively more folk have it than the numbers suggest because unless you're unwell enough to go to hospital nobody is going to test you (which also explains the high mortality rate with regards to "closed" cases.

You have to be a priority case to go to hospital. If you're not they won't take you. This lady here was seen by ambulance staff called to her home. They didn't take her to hospital because she wasn't a priority case. Unfortunately she died the next day. We should be told what a priority case is.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... t-priority
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

As I said over in another place, Spain has spent a lot of money buying tests for the public but now it's being reported they basically don't work:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MacaesBruno/ ... 9928554496

I don't know, what possible reason could Bodge have for giving loads of money to pharmaceutical companies for basically no extra information?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:So if someone posts something which suggests not following Johnson's diktats it will be removed?

It's fair enough to remove it from this thread, isn't it? Advocacy of law-breaking doesn't add anything to a discussion about how serious c19 is. Go start another thread "why we should break the c19 lockdown law" but take care not to break any of the forum rules while doing it. You'll be pleased to know that unlike many forums, this one doesn't have a blanket ban on all discussion and advocacy of illegal acts - only certain ones.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Not at all.

Yes but we’ve seen these same people adapt to skirt the rules with even more insidious tactics. Their willingness to deliberately lie and disinform should mean they are barred from reading the forum. This is a critical time and the greater good is paramount. Who cares if these malignant clowns ride a bike or not.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:So if someone posts something which suggests not following Johnson's diktats it will be removed?

It's fair enough to remove it from this thread, isn't it? Advocacy of law-breaking doesn't add anything to a discussion about how serious c19 is. Go start another thread "why we should break the c19 lockdown law" but take care not to break any of the forum rules while doing it. You'll be pleased to know that unlike many forums, this one doesn't have a blanket ban on all discussion and advocacy of illegal acts - only certain ones.

You've completely missed my point.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

mjr wrote:

As I said over in another place, Spain has spent a lot of money buying tests for the public but now it's being reported they basically don't work:

I don't know, what possible reason could Bodge have for giving loads of money to pharmaceutical companies for basically no extra information?

He is advised by a team of experts from Imperial College. I assume everything he does is recommended by them or government medical staff.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

nsew wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Not at all.

Yes but we’ve seen these same people adapt to skirt the rules with even more insidious tactics. Their willingness to deliberately lie and disinform should mean they are barred from reading the forum. This is a critical time and the greater good is paramount. Who cares if these malignant clowns ride a bike or not.

Care to make a list of those on the forum you consider "malignant clowns"?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
mjr wrote:

He is advised by a team of experts from Imperial College. I assume everything he does is recommended by them or government medical staff.

No it's recommended by Dominic Cummins who may or may not follow the advice of people you describe. I'm guessing you're old enough to rememeber Sooty on the television. Cummins = Harry Corbett , Johnson = Sooty. That's how it works.