Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
carpetcleaner

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Post by carpetcleaner »

pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
mjr wrote:As I said over in another place, Spain has spent a lot of money buying tests for the public but now it's being reported they basically don't work:
https://mobile.twitter.com/MacaesBruno/ ... 9928554496

I don't know, what possible reason could Bodge have for giving loads of money to pharmaceutical companies for basically no extra information?

He is advised by a team of experts from Imperial College. I assume everything he does is recommended by them or government medical staff.

No it's recommended by Dominic Cummins who may or may not follow the advice of people you describe. I'm guessing you're old enough to rememeber Sooty on the television. Cummins = Harry Corbett , Johnson = Sooty. That's how it works.

Oh, I see.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
He is advised by a team of experts from Imperial College. I assume everything he does is recommended by them or government medical staff.

No it's recommended by Dominic Cummins who may or may not follow the advice of people you describe. I'm guessing you're old enough to rememeber Sooty on the television. Cummins = Harry Corbett , Johnson = Sooty. That's how it works.

Oh, I see.

Good. I'm pleased to have enlightened you.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
nsew wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Not at all.

Specifically with regard to social distancing, self-isolation, etc.

If someone posts advice to flout the rules, the posts will be removed.

Yes but we’ve seen these same people adapt to skirt the rules with even more insidious tactics. Their willingness to deliberately lie and disinform should mean they are barred from reading the forum. This is a critical time and the greater good is paramount. Who cares if these malignant clowns ride a bike or not.

Care to make a list of those on the forum you consider "malignant clowns"?

Those rules didn't come into force until today when the required legislation was finally passed. I believe all your posts which might now be called skirting the rules were put here before that time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:Those rules didn't come into force until today when the required legislation was finally passed. I believe all your posts which might now be called skirting the rules were put here before that time.

My posts were done with the intention of pointing out the stupidity of the situation.
What I wasn't expecting was the "OMG that man will kill us all" screams of terror and outrage from the forums inmates. Some of whom were so terrified they'd rather shut down all debate rather than face the truth of it.

Obviously I admit fanning the flames a bit but I rather enjoy winding up old clocks.

I still think it's stupid btw.
Only one type of exercise whilst you're out, but if you fancy mixing with others in the off license then be our guest...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:Those rules didn't come into force until today when the required legislation was finally passed. I believe all your posts which might now be called skirting the rules were put here before that time.

My posts were done with the intention of pointing out the stupidity of the situation.
What I wasn't expecting was the "OMG that man will kill us all" screams of terror and outrage from the forums inmates. Some of whom were so terrified they'd rather shut down all debate rather than face the truth of it.

Obviously I admit fanning the flames a bit but I rather enjoy winding up old clocks.

I still think it's stupid btw.
Only one type of exercise whilst you're out, but if you fancy mixing with others in the off license then be our guest...

Yes it is stupid or, rather, ill thought out. How does running for an hour and cycling for an hour give an increased risk of catching the virus over doing either activity for the two hours. Anyone care to explain the science behind it?
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

So in the midst of all this, with over 100 people dying in this country today, you admit to a bit of light trolling.

classy.
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

mjr wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Something else that struck me today, is the thing about ramping up the testing. BoJo thinks ( quite rightly) this is a fabulous idea, and wants it done ( good move ) certain folk are coming out with all sorts of weird and wonderful excuses for why it isn’t a good idea. If you increase the amount of testing, you ( pretty much ) guarantee to find a lot of people who have the virus, but never show symptoms, or very mild symptoms. Why would anyone be concerned about that? Hmmmmmm I wonder :roll:

As I said over in another place, Spain has spent a lot of money buying tests for the public but now it's being reported they basically don't work:
I don't know, what possible reason could Bodge have for giving loads of money to pharmaceutical companies for basically no extra information?

Why would you give £13,800,000 to a ferry company with no ferries? It's what they do isn't it? :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

100%JR wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like NHS staff and doctors are being advised to conceal their identity as some are being mugged ( in London) for their id to get free food.

sickening?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/nhs-staff-warned-to-hide-id-after-spate-of-targeted-muggings?

Those trying to steal ID badges are thought to want them to obtain the free coffee, pizza and other products that high street chains such as Leon, Domino’s, Costa Coffee, Pret a Manger, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Greggs have begun offering NHS staff to thank them for their efforts in dealing with the coronavirus epidemic.

My wife is not allowed to leave the Hospital in uniform.Never has been.Her ID tag is in her bag once she leaves the Hospital.Nurses do however ignore this.
I'm pressuming it's the same for all NHS staff but hard to enforce?

All staff in my area were told this week there would be a zero tolerance policy on wearing uniform outside work.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Syd wrote:
100%JR wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like NHS staff and doctors are being advised to conceal their identity as some are being mugged ( in London) for their id to get free food.

sickening?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/nhs-staff-warned-to-hide-id-after-spate-of-targeted-muggings?

Those trying to steal ID badges are thought to want them to obtain the free coffee, pizza and other products that high street chains such as Leon, Domino’s, Costa Coffee, Pret a Manger, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Greggs have begun offering NHS staff to thank them for their efforts in dealing with the coronavirus epidemic.

My wife is not allowed to leave the Hospital in uniform.Never has been.Her ID tag is in her bag once she leaves the Hospital.Nurses do however ignore this.

All staff in my area were told this week there would be a zero tolerance policy on wearing uniform outside work.

And rightly so.Surely this should be policy regardless throughout the NHS and not differ from Trust to Trust?By regardless I mean not just when there's an epidemic about.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Something else that struck me today, is the thing about ramping up the testing. BoJo thinks ( quite rightly) this is a fabulous idea, and wants it done ( good move ) certain folk are coming out with all sorts of weird and wonderful excuses for why it isn’t a good idea. If you increase the amount of testing, you ( pretty much ) guarantee to find a lot of people who have the virus, but never show symptoms, or very mild symptoms. Why would anyone be concerned about that? Hmmmmmm I wonder :roll:

As I said over in another place, Spain has spent a lot of money buying tests for the public but now it's being reported they basically don't work:

Maybe Patrick Vallance is behind it and money will be going to his pals at Glaxo.
Syd

Post by Syd »

100%JR wrote:
Syd wrote:
100%JR wrote:My wife is not allowed to leave the Hospital in uniform.Never has been.Her ID tag is in her bag once she leaves the Hospital.Nurses do however ignore this.

And rightly so.Surely this should be policy regardless throughout the NHS and not differ from Trust to Trust?By regardless I mean not just when there's an epidemic about.

It has been policy everywhere I have worked but is often disregarded and seldom enforced.

It takes something like this for them to clamp down on it.
RH20

Post by RH20 »

It seems that Italy, Spain, and France appear to be in almost total lockdown, yet still the number of people contracting coronavirus is rising. Could anyone explain this? If more and more people are confined to their homes why are the numbers rising?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Ellieb wrote:

So in the midst of all this, with over 100 people dying in this country today, you admit to a bit of light trolling.
classy.

I think you've missed his point?
Anyway when you actually look at it the total number of C-19 deaths is not great considering:-
The provisional number of deaths registered in England and Wales in February 2020 was 43,653; this represents a decrease of 13,053 deaths in comparison with the previous month and a decrease of 2,143 deaths in comparison with the same month in 2019.

Source:-
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... lresidence

OK so yes people are dying of this but people are dying every day anyway.The average ranges from 30,000+ per month to 50,000+ per month year on year.

Maybe if people used the "lockdown" to calm down look into statistics and facts there wouldn't be so much conflict?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

RH20 wrote:It seems that Italy, Spain, and France appear to be in almost total lockdown, yet still the number of people contracting coronavirus is rising. Could anyone explain this? If more and more people are confined to their homes why are the numbers rising?

I guess some combination of

1. Lag time: takes a week to show symptoms, then another week to get serious enough to get into hospital and show up on the stats

2. Intra family transmission. One member unknowingly has it at the start of shutdown. Once symptoms show. next person gets it etc

3. Shutdown isn't total

4. Some people will be flouting it

Have a look at the China stats on the john hopkins dashboard. I think it took about 3 weeks before there was a clear slow down.
nsew

Post by nsew »

There will be those who disregarded the warnings, using up the ventilators of those that didn’t. These people will not be best remembered.
Last edited by nsew on 26 Mar 2020, 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.