Free beer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Free beer?

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:
fullupandslowingdown wrote:cue the next environmental disaster :- loads of alcoholic fishes

drunk-fish-white-background-50509657.jpg

hahaha
I think it's twenty liters of water to make one of beer (I could be wrong, but it's a lot) so it's well watered down even before it goes for treatment.

I used to make my own beer and virtually all the water you us ends up in the beer.

So what are you going to do with the hundreds of barrels returned from the closed pubs?
Obviously I answered the question in the context it was asked. I'm not even going to bother explaining or Googling for a link, feel free to do that yourself, there'll be plenty of information out there. I'm no expert, but I've been on a couple of tours of the local Burton upon Trent breweries and I'm absolutely sure my original answer will hold up to scrutiny.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:hahaha
I think it's twenty liters of water to make one of beer (I could be wrong, but it's a lot) so it's well watered down even before it goes for treatment.

I used to make my own beer and virtually all the water you us ends up in the beer.

So what are you going to do with the hundreds of barrels returned from the closed pubs?
Obviously I answered the question in the context it was asked. I'm not even going to bother explaining or Googling for a link, feel free to do that yourself, there'll be plenty of information out there. I'm no expert, but I've been on a couple of tours of the local Burton upon Trent breweries and I'm absolutely sure my original answer will hold up to scrutiny.

Hmm the beer I made is about 5%, 9 gallons , around 40 litres. If'd done what you suggest and used 20 litres of water for every one of beer I'd have ended up with over 800 litres of slightly brown tinted water. Have you ever made beer? I have and know exactly how much water I used.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:
pete75 wrote:....
I used to make my own beer and virtually all the water you us ends up in the beer. For example making 9 gallons you'd use about five and a half gallons for the mash then use about one and a half gallons to rinse the grains making it up to about seven gallons. You then boil this with the hops for about 90 minutes. Then strain off into a fermenting bin and top up to nine gallons with water. Making allowance for evaporation in the hop boiling, liquid staying in the hops it's still likely under ten gallons of water to make nine of beer.

Rinse the grains !!!! hats of to you for doing it the proper way.
I use a wilko's kit and add an extra 5Kg of sugar to a 25L fermentation bin :D
I noticed most of wilko's beer and wine stock was gone this week, as I was thinking of another wine brewing. Put that copper pipe I've been collecting for 4 years to good use 8)

Years ago I bought a book called Brewing beers like those you buy written by a chap called Dave Line. It's got recipes for all sorts of beer , including one for the original Ruddles County. I usually used this and it was very close to that brilliant pint. There's even a recipe for Eldridge Pope Thomas Hardy Ale - 1120 gravity. Made a batch of that and matured it for about two years - wonderful stuff. Just looked at the book again - think I'll start brewing again though I won't be using 20 litres of water for every litre of beer :shock:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Has PH got hold over some account that says, in commercial brewing, 20 litres of water is used in the production of a litre of beer? And wrongly inferred that the water goes to dilute the beer? It could be that in all the washing etc, that must go on, so much water is used.
Our home brewers have certainly not included all the water they use washing the mash tun and the bottles etc.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Hmm the beer I made is about 5%, 9 gallons , around 40 litres. If'd done what you suggest and used 20 litres of water for every one of beer I'd have ended up with over 800 litres of slightly brown tinted water. Have you ever made beer? I have and know exactly how much water I used.

Pete, another completely pointless argument, you must love them. In the context of this question, which was:
Hundreds and thousands of licenced premises all vacant with beers and lagers just sitting in barrels going stale.
What's happening to it all?

who cares what you do? You're not a brewery are you? You haven't supplied any pubs have you? You're not going to have to deal with any beer returns are you?
Here's what I said
If it returns to the breweries, they have a verified destruction program, it'll get mixed with the rest of the waste water.

then, in response to a light hearted comment

If you think the breweries don't produce lots of waste water, just go google it.
That you don't is of no relevance to the question, I'm not surprised you don't, I doubt you have bottle plant, or cooling towers or condensing equipment or a steam plant either.
PH

Post by PH »

Mike Sales wrote:Has PH got hold over some account that says, in commercial brewing, 20 litres of water is used in the production of a litre of beer? And wrongly inferred that the water goes to dilute the beer? It could be that in all the washing etc, that must go on, so much water is used.
Our home brewers have certainly not included all the water they use washing the mash tun and the bottles etc.

What I've said (And I sincerely wished I hadn't bothered) is that waste beer will be mixed with waste water before it goes to the treatment plant and that there is a lot of waste water.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

eck

you've just triggered my childhood memories of the lovely aromas wafting across Sunderland when they were mashing up at Vaux breweries.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:eck

you've just triggered my childhood memories of the lovely aromas wafting across Sunderland when they were mashing up at Vaux breweries.

I used to regularly ride through Tadcaster. A fine smelling town. I remember John Smith's and Sam Smith's but I see Coors has a brewery there now. I hope they make proper beer, not that Yank muck!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A local pub of ours has offered a 72pt barrel of Dartmoor Jail Ale 4.8% abv for £60 ............ £1.20 a pint and below cost price.

https://www.dartmoorbrewery.co.uk/beer/jail-ale
I'm tempted to say the least, but even I can't drink that much before it's too old. We need a co-drinker! :D
Yet to be arranged, but we have home-made stillages available.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:So what are you going to do with the hundreds of barrels returned from the closed pubs?

Pete, another completely pointless argument, you must love them. In the context of this question, which was:
Hundreds and thousands of licenced premises all vacant with beers and lagers just sitting in barrels going stale.
What's happening to it all?

who cares what you do? You're not a brewery are you? You haven't supplied any pubs have you? You're not going to have to deal with any beer returns are you?
Here's what I said
If it returns to the breweries, they have a verified destruction program, it'll get mixed with the rest of the waste water.

then, in response to a light hearted comment
I think it's twenty litres of water to make one of beer (I could be wrong, but it's a lot) so it's well watered down even before it goes for treatment.

Oh lighten up.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
fullupandslowingdown wrote:eck

I used to regularly ride through Tadcaster. A fine smelling town. I remember John Smith's and Sam Smith's but I see Coors has a brewery there now. I hope they make proper beer, not that Yank muck!

Used to be belong to Bass before Coors bought them up.

Newark used to smell like that a few years ago with two quite big breweries, Holes and Warwicks. Both taken over and , I think, stopped brewing in the early eighties. Now the only distinctive smell is from the beet factory when the wind's in the wrong direction.
Last edited by pete75 on 27 Mar 2020, 7:33am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:Has PH got hold over some account that says, in commercial brewing, 20 litres of water is used in the production of a litre of beer? And wrongly inferred that the water goes to dilute the beer? It could be that in all the washing etc, that must go on, so much water is used.

Yes that's the impression I got from his post. Water used for washing etc isn't actually used to make the beer.

There should actually be that much wasted beer. Keg stuff probably keeps for a couple of years and cask beer will keep for several months before he cask is tapped. So unless this lockdown goes on for months and months the waste will just be the cask beer already tapped.
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:

Yes that's the impression I got from his post. Water used for washing etc isn't actually used to make the beer.

Try this :roll:
Google (other search engines are available)"How much water is used to make beer"
Or, just lighten up yourself :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reminds me of the great PM Callaghan singing 'this is the man, the very fat man, who waters the workers beer' :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Meanwhile, in our throbbing Metropolis:

Beer at the Red Lion

The Red Lion has two barrels of beer with a sell-by date of mid-April. One is Doombar and the other is Timothy Taylor. Rather than have it go to waste, Jonesy has agreed to open the door of the Red Lion tomorrow (Saturday) from 2- 4pm. Anyone who is fit and well, wishing to purchase some should bring their own container to the door of the pub and pass it to Tony. He has volunteered to man the counter in the doorway, using disposable gloves and taking all necessary other health precautions. The price is £2 per pint and Frank has very generously agreed to donate money to the local NHS staff fund.

This is not a social gathering and if more than one person is present at the same time you must form a queue and keep your distance from each other.

I'm washing out a 4-pint milk carton :D