Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: Boris Johnson: Why is a proven liar in power?

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm no fan of this government in general or Johnson in particular. But it is unlikely that any government could think of everything in such a situation. The civil servants will be working night and day on detail.
John
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Looks like another failing from Johnson, something promised yet reality is not quite what he promised.

Ian

Did Boris ever promise to backdate the ban on evictions?

I doubt it.

Retrospective legislation is very rare.

These people haven't been evicted yet - note the article says it's taking on extra staff to evict "a record number of tenants. Legislation to stop this need no be retrospective just enacted now.

Sounds like it does to me. If the eviction process has already started then new legislation won't affect it. Seems fair enough to me, though disappointing for those evicted. There is a need to be fair to landlords who acted properly in accordance with the law at the time they started the process.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Did Boris ever promise to backdate the ban on evictions?

I doubt it.

Retrospective legislation is very rare.

These people haven't been evicted yet - note the article says it's taking on extra staff to evict "a record number of tenants. Legislation to stop this need no be retrospective just enacted now.

Sounds like it does to me. If the eviction process has already started then new legislation won't affect it. Seems fair enough to me, though disappointing for those evicted. There is a need to be fair to landlords who acted properly in accordance with the law at the time they started the process.

If a law was passed saying no evictions from today until the government gives permission for them to start again then they would have to stop. Evictions are taking place under a law passed by parliament. Any such law can be undone by another act of parliament.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:

If a law was passed saying no evictions from today until the government gives permission for them to start again then they would have to stop. Evictions are taking place under a law passed by parliament. Any such law can be undone by another act of parliament.

There obviously was no such law saying no such law saying no evictions from today. Many laws don't come into effect immediately. Feel free to lobby your MP for a new law.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

carpetcleaner wrote:.....There obviously was no such law saying no such law saying no evictions from today...

er, is that that that is not law which says that there is no such law or is that that there is?
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:.....There obviously was no such law saying no such law saying no evictions from today...

er, is that that that is not law which says that there is no such law or is that that there is?

You are going to have to accept that evictions can still take place until a certain date and that Boris never promised anything different.

I think tenants should be grateful for Boris's new law as they are being given temporary security of tenure in someone else's property.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

There obviously was no such law saying no such law saying no evictions from today. Many laws don't come into effect immediately. Feel free to lobby your MP for a new law.

You're mumbling man.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

The Housing Minister clearly said that no tenant would be evicted due to the effects of coronavirus. If the legislation doesn't match the rhetoric, then it is another example of government dishonesty. There's no point dancing around it, the statement and the reality either match or they don't.
Also. from the linked article. this is just greed
And it warns: “Estate agents, property management agents and landlords are very keen to evict tenants as they need the rent paid in full during these difficult times.”

There's a mortgage holiday available for BTL landlords plus business support, there is no legislation that releases tenants from their contract, they'll still owe the rent.
Locally there's been some whinging from some student landlords, as students hand the keys back and go home. It's hard to feel any sympathy when many of them have been raking in over twice the cost of the mortgage. Yes I know, that's business, but then so is losing income.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

BREXIT has reared its head again.

There is an EU drive for Ventilators and the UK Government declined to participate because it is no longer an EU member..... then changed that to "Sorry we were too late in agreement" to "We didn't get the email" to "We may join the scheme after all"

Not sure which is worse, and which is the biggest lie.

We deserve far, far better than this shambles
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

The words Brexit and EU only exist in this forum now, the rest of the world has the real scary stuff to deal with.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

windmiller wrote:The words Brexit and EU only exist in this forum now, the rest of the world has the real scary stuff to deal with.

Unfortunately when policies that could help prevent the spread, mitigate the effect and save lives are affected by the BREXIT mentality - there is a real concern and the two become irrevocably entwined
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Cunobelin wrote:
windmiller wrote:The words Brexit and EU only exist in this forum now, the rest of the world has the real scary stuff to deal with.

Unfortunately when policies that could help prevent the spread, mitigate the effect and save lives are affected by the BREXIT mentality - there is a real concern and the two become irrevocably entwined

I have to stretch my imagination beyond the known universe to make sense of what you mean. Basically blame Brexit and its' wicked selfish mentality for most evils that this country will endure. Poking holes in lifeboats really won't help anyone much. This wretched virus and its' fear has nothing to do with Brexit. I assume you think that Remainer mentality whatever that is, would be superior in a crisis. :roll:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

From tomorrow Master of the Rolls in agreement with lord Chancellor has suspended all housing evictions. Implicit criticism of minister.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government- ... 9-outbreak
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Now there are rumours that Rishi Sunak might be rooting for the Top Job. I suppose it's a matter of being the Right Person in the Right Place at the Right Time - having overseen the biggest financial giveaway, probably, in history - out of pure necessity, granted.

So how would he make out? I can hardly imagine he'd be worse than you-know-who. All I know about him is that he's of filthy-rich background - but then so are all the other big politicos - at least on the Tory side. Could he be our first PM of Indian ancestry?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:This wretched virus and its' fear has nothing to do with Brexit.
So are you imputing that the inability to import much-needed ventilators from Europe where they are available, because "we have left the EU", has nothing to do with Brex**it?

Or alternatively, are you imputing that the shortage of ventilators will have no impact on the effects of coronavirus?

Because it's got to be one or the other. Please choose.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).