Campagnolo BB Power Torque : What tools required?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17

Campagnolo BB Power Torque : What tools required?

Post by robert17 »

People, my new secondhand bike is Campagnolo fitted, which I'm really pleased with. However the nice cyclist in Notts I got it from told me that the bottom bracket was the original and being six years old was in need of replacing. He even gave me a new one in the box. It is a power torque variety. Now having done my research, I appear to need a special tool or two. Can anyone verify what I will need to remove/replace the chainset and the bottom bracket. Thank you in advance.

Robert.
The utility cyclist

Re: Campagnolo BB Power Torque : What tools required?

Post by The utility cyclist »

sell the whole bike on to some poor other soul to deal with :lol:
You're better off taking it to a bike shop and taking the hit, one of the worst designs, which is a shame really as the Campag kit looks lovely and is supposed to same functionality wise, it was because of the whole BB thing that put me off from buying.
GL
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Thanks. I returned to Campagnolo after years of grappling with 105 and Ultegra. Always having to adjust and wearing quickly. I may indeed ask a shop to do it, but would rather not.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Watch and read this.
Seems a simple system to me.

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Techno ... que_system
Mick F. Cornwall
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

If you undo/remove the LH crank bolt the LH crank arm stays in place. You need some kind of 'PowerTorque' crank puller to remove it, exactly like the one Campagnolo has never made.

Cyclus make one. Expensive.
I should coco.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Valbrona wrote:If you undo/remove the LH crank bolt the LH crank arm stays in place. You need some kind of 'PowerTorque' crank puller to remove it, exactly like the one Campagnolo has never made.

Cyclus make one. Expensive.

Unior do a complete set of tools for this job (they'll also do Ultra Torque) available for a slightly more reasonable £65. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Unior-Campagno ... 104257.htm

When I had to remove one some years back I bought a Facom U.301 puller and the Campag UT-FC090 Power Torque removal disc (a small disc of metal that costs more than £15) - it was the cheapest solution I could find at the time and worked perfectly. My cranks were alloy; with carbon ones you need to protect the crank somehow. Campag sell a set of little pieces of card for this, again at a silly price. I lent the tools to a friend recently and the Facom puller broke under the strain of trying to remove his crank, so maybe something a bit more robust would be better.

The crankset was very nice and worked well, but I was so annoyed by the faff of removing it that I swapped to traditional square taper and a Stronglight chainset instead.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

It's not simple to change the bearings at all mick f! Campagnolo don't even make the tools, only 4 teams in last years tour used campag on their bikes which says it all really.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Many thanks, having a shop remove it then swap over to a good quality square taper seems like a good idea. Any good suggestions out there? Stronglight seems the obvious choice, although I have a Spa own on my tourer that has been great. It is currently a Veloce 10 50/34. Thanks again.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

robert17 wrote:Many thanks, having a shop remove it then swap over to a good quality square taper seems like a good idea. Any good suggestions out there? Stronglight seems the obvious choice, although I have a Spa own on my tourer that has been great. It is currently a Veloce 10 50/34. Thanks again.

If you fancy a Stronglight crankset, these are a very good buy at the moment, less than half price.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3/STRO ... act-Triple
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p45/STR ... act-Double
geomannie
robert17

Post by robert17 »

geomannie wrote:
robert17 wrote:Many thanks, having a shop remove it then swap over to a good quality square taper seems like a good idea. Any good suggestions out there? Stronglight seems the obvious choice, although I have a Spa own on my tourer that has been great. It is currently a Veloce 10 50/34. Thanks again.

If you fancy a Stronglight crankset, these are a very good buy at the moment, less than half price.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3/STRO ... act-Triple
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p45/STR ... act-Double

Would the RD-2 and TD-2 sets work too. Would prefer as black. Thank you.
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

I had the same problem in February - didn't want to buy a special tool for removing something for the last time.
LBS removed it and fitted my new chainset for £30.
But one LBS didn't have the tool, the mobile mechanic didn't carry one other, so it took 3 calls before I found somewhere.
If you like the chainset, I wouldn't necessarily change it unless you are contemplating huge miles, because £30 + a new bb every few years isn't a terrible overhead.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

I plumped for the tools. Most of the reasoning being that the current state of life means that I could do with a project. Thank you all.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

What prompted all of this was creaking from the bottom bracket. Now the 14mm Allen I need arrived today and I removed the crank bolt. There should be a washer in between the bolt and axle - it was absent. Could this cause a creak?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

all kinds of things can cause creaks; I'd add a washer and see if that cured it. Simple enough to try?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Washer first it is then.