Son 28 dynamo hub not producing electricity after crash

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
yutkoxpo

Son 28 dynamo hub not producing electricity after crash

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi folks,

After an encounter with a drain my 4 year old Son 28 hub seems to be not producing any power.

After having the front wheel straightened there was no power to either the front light nor my USB charger.

I connected another light using a new connector & wires with a similar result.

Hub seems to be rolling as normal, just no power.

Anyone have any suggestions on anything to try before sending it back for repairs?

Many thanks
Brucey

Re: Son 28 dynamo hub not producing electricity after crash

Post by Brucey »

test the windings for continuity, using a multimeter.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Brucey wrote:test the windings for continuity, using a multimeter.

cheers

Thanks, but I have no idea what the windings are.
Access to a multimeter is unlikely at the current time. :)
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
It might be worth following up on the five-year warranty. I realise that it may not be a warranty claim but there may be some goodwill going, and it's conceivable that the drain and the failure aren't linked https://nabendynamo.de/en/service/repairs/
Those things are well-built and unless the hub has obviously suffered damage you might be lucky
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Do you know for sure that the replacement light and wires you were trying work (e.g. works on another hub)? If it is a Schmidt Edelux light, are you sure it's on the “always on” setting rather than the “on when it’s dark” setting if you are trying it in daylight? I have been caught out by that in the past - forgot there were two settings because I generally have it on all the time.

If you can’t get a multimeter or test the light, I have a spare "old skool" Schmidt E6 I know works on a spare Schmidt hub with spade terminals (just tried it). I’d be happy to post this light to you as a test rig known to work - as long as I get it back! I haven't used it for about 12 years, so I can probably live without it for a few days.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

backnotes wrote:Do you know for sure that the replacement light and wires you were trying work (e.g. works on another hub)? If it is a Schmidt Edelux light, are you sure it's on the “always on” setting rather than the “on when it’s dark” setting if you are trying it in daylight? I have been caught out by that in the past - forgot there were two settings because I generally have it on all the time.

If you can’t get a multimeter or test the light, I have a spare "old skool" Schmidt E6 I know works on a spare Schmidt hub with spade terminals (just tried it). I’d be happy to post this light to you as a test rig known to work - as long as I get it back! I haven't used it for about 12 years, so I can probably live without it for a few days.

I'm pretty sure that the light worked as it was in a small bike repair shop where I got the wheel straightened. We also used a multimeter there and there was nothing. My own light was definitely on.

It's very kind of you to offer your old light, but I'm currently on a bit of a tour and I think it's a bit far to send :)

In fact, that's the main problem - do I send the hub back to Germany via the only agent where I am for a possible repair, not knowing how long that will take in the current climate or do I look for a replacement either locally or have another sent over. Probably an idea to replace the rim at the same time.

I'm currently in a lockdown situation so I do have the luxury of time.

Many thanks for your help!
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

tim-b wrote:Hi
It might be worth following up on the five-year warranty. I realise that it may not be a warranty claim but there may be some goodwill going, and it's conceivable that the drain and the failure aren't linked https://nabendynamo.de/en/service/repairs/
Those things are well-built and unless the hub has obviously suffered damage you might be lucky
Regards
tim-b

Unfortunately I know for certain that it was the drain! The dynamo was working right up until I fell in! :)
I understand about their repairs but at the moment it's a long way away and I'd like to see if there's anything simple to be done before I send it away.
Many thanks
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Sorry - didn't realise you were on tour, and had since checked the windings continuity, making both my suggestions less than relevant!

I had a SON that was ruined by a puddle that turned into a lake. In normal times the turnaround if you send a hub back to Schmidt for repair / refurb is really impressive - mine came back like new via the UK agent (SJS) in less than a week. I was lucky on timing, as they sent things off in batches once a week.

Good luck with your interrupted tour!
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

backnotes wrote:Sorry - didn't realise you were on tour, and had since checked the windings continuity, making both my suggestions less than relevant!

I had a SON that was ruined by a puddle that turned into a lake. In normal times the turnaround if you send a hub back to Schmidt for repair / refurb is really impressive - mine came back like new via the UK agent (SJS) in less than a week. I was lucky on timing, as they sent things off in batches once a week.

Good luck with your interrupted tour!

I'm grateful for your input, thank you.

If I was at home I'd have no qualms about sending it back to Germany, but on a (stalled) trip it opens a huge number of variables, mainly to do with timing - what do I do if I'm ready to move on (or have to move on) and my hub is somewhere in transit?

In the big scheme of things a non generating hub is a small problem.

I was holding out for "Something similar happened to me and after a few weeks the dynamo kicked back in!" type answer! :D

Thanks again
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Well, in a lockdown situation with no multimeter but plenty of trime, you stiil can check you dynamo in the following way:

[youtube]WjygOFQJonU[/youtube]
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

ConRAD wrote:Well, in a lockdown situation with no multimeter but plenty of trime, you stiil can check you dynamo in the following way:

I remember doing similar with batteries in my youth! :D
Thanks!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

HobbesOnTour wrote:Hi folks,

After an encounter with a drain my 4 year old Son 28 hub seems to be not producing any power.

After having the front wheel straightened there was no power to either the front light nor my USB charger.

Anyone have any suggestions on anything to try before sending it back for repairs?

Many thanks

It looks like you’re stuck with a Hub who’s repair isn’t locally available to you. Personally I’d expect a good unit to not be damaged in your accident (should withstand such things). Anyway your only way forward is replacement or repair by the manufacturer so best send it off when you can. In the meantime, as a temporary measure, bottle Dynamo’s are both cheap and readily available, and if all you need is some occasional night time light then they work well enough to get one by. That’s not as nice a solution as a working hub Dynamo but it’s a lot simpler than buying a cheap replacement hub Dynamo, maybe a set of spokes too, and rebuilding your wheel ... or some similar variation.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Carlton green wrote:
HobbesOnTour wrote:Hi folks,

Many thanks

It looks like you’re stuck with a Hub who’s repair isn’t locally available to you. Personally I’d expect a good unit to not be damaged in your accident (should withstand such things). Anyway your only way forward is replacement or repair by the manufacturer so best send it off when you can. In the meantime, as a temporary measure, bottle Dynamo’s are both cheap and readily available, and if all you need is some occasional night time light then they work well enough to get one by. That’s not as nice a solution as a working hub Dynamo but it’s a lot simpler than buying a cheap replacement hub Dynamo, maybe a set of spokes too, and rebuilding your wheel ... or some similar variation.

That's a good idea, thank you!

I mainly rely on my hub to charge my electronics - I rarely travel in the dark and always have my head torch for emergencies but it does remove the lighting anxiety.

Thanks!
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I am pleased that my suggestion was helpful. My own riding is rarely at night but when it is I find that the bottle Dynamo on my ‘touring’ bike does the job perfectly adequately. However, if I was building a new front wheel then I’d be torn between unnecessary expense and treating myself to something that’s a bit better - it’s tough being a ‘skin flint’.

As an alternative and if you don’t have more than but passing need for lights (more anxiety about being caught out than anything else) then I’ve found that some battery lights are both a relative doddle to fit and (mine were) inexpensive too - prices can vary a lot so shop around. I’ve used a Smart Light (brand) LED set (front and rear) on my ‘utility’ bike for years, for me they work well enough in Town but as the front light is a bit ‘marginal’ down the lanes I sometimes use a head torch too.

My particular Smart Lights are no longer available but this set is similar: https://smart-bike.squarespace.com/ls044b-1 . There are some cheaper old versions on eBay and they ‘do a job’ (have used some) but my upgrade to a single 0.5 Watt LED was worthwhile. Mine seem to have a tiny parasitic drain on the headlight batteries when (notionally) turned off, to get around that there’s a round piece of thin sheet plastic (IIRC cut from an old milk bottle body) between the battery terminals and the bulb section (acts as an insulator and the batteries are then not flat when I need them).

Good luck, be safe and happy peddling.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.