Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1526
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby georgew » 29 Mar 2020, 5:53pm

mercalia wrote:
georgew wrote:
mercalia wrote:they can still sue him in the civil courts where presumably a lower degree of evidence is needed. surly they must?



The things you say. :shock:

The opposite is true in fact. Salmond intends to pursue those responsible for these allegations in the civil and criminal court, in that they conspired against him and perverted the course of justice. He already won a case against the Scottish Government for a biased and illegal internal investigation and received £500,00 in legal costs.
That there was such a conspiracy there is no doubt. The coterie of accusers created their own Instagram account to co-ordinate their efforts and there are texts which expose this for what it was. The alleged complaints were not initially made to the Police but to the SNP's disciplinary committee, whose Chairmen texted that they would sit on these complaints until they could use them to maximum effect against Salmond.

The whole bungled farce was an attempt to prevent Salmond's return to politics and in this, it succeeded. The Procurator Fiscal should never have allowed such a flimsy case to go ahead and he has questions to answer. The fact that many prosecution witnesses were never put in the witness box by the Prosecution to be questioned by the defense, is witness to the flimsiness of the case against Salmond.



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52078493


if what you say is true then Scottish Justice is rotten to the core, but maybe not for the reasons you give ( compare with Cyprus was it and that rape victim?)? It doesnt surprize me about Salmonds intentions. But your slant is unbelievable. You would presumably regard the #metoo as a conspiracy also.

As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics why is Salmond hated? I thought the scots loved him?



Ok......it's clear that you know nothing about the Scottish Legal system, nothing about the political landscape in Scotland, nothing about the background of this case or of its participants and freely admit this "As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics " and yet you see my version of events as slanted.

Love it.....keep it up.

Carlton green
Posts: 1006
Joined: 22 Jun 2019, 12:27pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Carlton green » 29 Mar 2020, 6:06pm

It’s going to be really interesting when Salmond pursues his opponents in the Courts, I wonder what hidden and suppressed details will emerge?

What I really don’t understand is why his old party have closed ranks against him and if someone could explain that to me then I’d find that helpful (I suspect a few other folk would be too).

I’m a bit puzzled by the role of the Prosecution in Salmond’s trial, they didn’t secure much but then they were up against the best of defence teams. Where they leaned on to take this Court despite privately thinking that the evidence was unlikely to be sufficient?

merseymouth
Posts: 2159
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby merseymouth » 29 Mar 2020, 6:23pm

Hi, Normally one would worry about politicians having fingers in too many pies, sometimes not their own! But with the former First Minister folk seem to be very concerned over possible fingers in other folks private parts, not that I'm casting stones :roll: :wink: .
He doesn't seem to be the type you'd want to leave among your female relatives, but we can find evidence about is another thing. Not my cup of Oolong! MM

mercalia
Posts: 14578
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby mercalia » 29 Mar 2020, 6:31pm

georgew wrote:
mercalia wrote:
georgew wrote:

The things you say. :shock:

The opposite is true in fact. Salmond intends to pursue those responsible for these allegations in the civil and criminal court, in that they conspired against him and perverted the course of justice. He already won a case against the Scottish Government for a biased and illegal internal investigation and received £500,00 in legal costs.
That there was such a conspiracy there is no doubt. The coterie of accusers created their own Instagram account to co-ordinate their efforts and there are texts which expose this for what it was. The alleged complaints were not initially made to the Police but to the SNP's disciplinary committee, whose Chairmen texted that they would sit on these complaints until they could use them to maximum effect against Salmond.

The whole bungled farce was an attempt to prevent Salmond's return to politics and in this, it succeeded. The Procurator Fiscal should never have allowed such a flimsy case to go ahead and he has questions to answer. The fact that many prosecution witnesses were never put in the witness box by the Prosecution to be questioned by the defense, is witness to the flimsiness of the case against Salmond.



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52078493


if what you say is true then Scottish Justice is rotten to the core, but maybe not for the reasons you give ( compare with Cyprus was it and that rape victim?)? It doesnt surprize me about Salmonds intentions. But your slant is unbelievable. You would presumably regard the #metoo as a conspiracy also.

As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics why is Salmond hated? I thought the scots loved him?



Ok......it's clear that you know nothing about the Scottish Legal system, nothing about the political landscape in Scotland, nothing about the background of this case or of its participants and freely admit this "As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics " and yet you see my version of events as slanted.

Love it.....keep it up.


I suggest you explain more than insult since you know more than I do. others, above, here would like the matters explained since it is hard to see how the things happening in Scotland could happen here in England. Its all so raw and farcical? yes we have our expences scandal and the Lords clocking in to get paid and doing nothing but this story is something different? your views read more like conspiracy theories like eg the Israeli embassy was behind the antisematic attacks on Labour.

why is Salmond so hated now? why did it go to court? why are the accusers very upset at the outcome( bbc news website) since according to you it was all a con. why did anyone think that such a ploy, out of the realms Hollywood, could be successful? its the stuff of tv drama where scant regard is paid to psychology & things happen because it makes good tv. You might as well add they will now hire a hit man to take him out since the courts wont since thats what happens to bad men ( on tv). its all bizarre

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2832
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Ben@Forest » 29 Mar 2020, 9:18pm

ambodach wrote:I have been an SNP member since the 1960's and used to be fairly active in politics.
Alex Salmond was always a source of controversy but the present vendetta stinks. One of the main complainers apparently is married to a member of Westminster security services.


Is there proof of that? And even if so l still don't understand why Westminster (and your implication is that the government would be involved in this) would want to discredit Salmond. He is yesterday's politician, by broadcasting for RT had already dulled his shine and he's been long resigned from the SNP. In fact he's a pretty good spoiler for the usual party line loyalty of the SNP.

Will
Posts: 315
Joined: 16 Jan 2007, 6:39pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Will » 30 Mar 2020, 8:26am

Carlton green wrote:What I really don’t understand is why his old party have closed ranks against him and if someone could explain that to me then I’d find that helpful (I suspect a few other folk would be too).


Nicola Sturgeon is under a lot of pressure from certain ranks within the SNP to push for another Independence referendum. She knows that they do not have enough support to be sure of winning and losing would be disastrous for her political career and for the whole independence cause. Alex Salmond is a serious threat to her position as party leader and as FM, and he could galvanize support from those within the party who are pushing for another referendum this year.

Carlton green wrote:I’m a bit puzzled by the role of the Prosecution in Salmond’s trial, they didn’t secure much but then they were up against the best of defence teams. Where they leaned on to take this Court despite privately thinking that the evidence was unlikely to be sufficient?


There seems to this idea that the Prosecution was somewhat at fault because they did not win the case against Alex Salmond. The Prosecution has to believe that they have a reasonable chance of winning any case that they take to court. It is then down to the Jury to decide if the case proves guilt or not. Not Guilty verdicts are a sign of a functioning legal system.

Will

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2832
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Ben@Forest » 30 Mar 2020, 9:05am

Will wrote:Nicola Sturgeon is under a lot of pressure from certain ranks within the SNP to push for another Independence referendum. She knows that they do not have enough support to be sure of winning and losing would be disastrous for her political career and for the whole independence cause. Alex Salmond is a serious threat to her position as party leader and as FM, and he could galvanize support from those within the party who are pushing for another referendum this year


This seems unlikely because Alex Salmond is not currently either an MSP/MP or a member of the SNP. Technically he could be SNP leader without a seat (that must've happened before) but he must be a member of the SNP.

Whatever happens with Sturgeon's leadership l don't think the SNP would want to be seen as going backwards to an old leader, especially one with a lot of disreputable baggage. They'd be better off with a new new leader.

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1526
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby georgew » 30 Mar 2020, 10:32am

mercalia wrote:
georgew wrote:
mercalia wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52078493


if what you say is true then Scottish Justice is rotten to the core, but maybe not for the reasons you give ( compare with Cyprus was it and that rape victim?)? It doesnt surprize me about Salmonds intentions. But your slant is unbelievable. You would presumably regard the #metoo as a conspiracy also.

As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics why is Salmond hated? I thought the scots loved him?



Ok......it's clear that you know nothing about the Scottish Legal system, nothing about the political landscape in Scotland, nothing about the background of this case or of its participants and freely admit this "As some one who doesnt follow scottish politics " and yet you see my version of events as slanted.

Love it.....keep it up.


I suggest you explain more than insult since you know more than I do. others, above, here would like the matters explained since it is hard to see how the things happening in Scotland could happen here in England. Its all so raw and farcical? yes we have our expences scandal and the Lords clocking in to get paid and doing nothing but this story is something different? your views read more like conspiracy theories like eg the Israeli embassy was behind the antisematic attacks on Labour.

why is Salmond so hated now? why did it go to court? why are the accusers very upset at the outcome( bbc news website) since according to you it was all a con. why did anyone think that such a ploy, out of the realms Hollywood, could be successful? its the stuff of tv drama where scant regard is paid to psychology & things happen because it makes good tv. You might as well add they will now hire a hit man to take him out since the courts wont since thats what happens to bad men ( on tv). its all bizarre



Moi...explain :?:

I don't get it.....I mean you live in England....so it follows that you know about everything that is happening here in Scotland and cannot be more qualified to expound on these matters.

I mean I'm just someone who has lived in Scotland for eighty years, am fully conversant with Scottish politics and am a member of the SNP........what could I possibly explain to you?

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1526
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby georgew » 30 Mar 2020, 10:35am

merseymouth wrote:Hi, Normally one would worry about politicians having fingers in too many pies, sometimes not their own! But with the former First Minister folk seem to be very concerned over possible fingers in other folks private parts, not that I'm casting stones :roll: :wink: .
He doesn't seem to be the type you'd want to leave among your female relatives, but we can find evidence about is another thing. Not my cup of Oolong! MM



Be aware that Salmond has stated his intention of taking legal action against anyone making slurs such as these above.

merseymouth
Posts: 2159
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby merseymouth » 30 Mar 2020, 10:42am

This man of straw will prove to be a pointless target that Scots eejit!
I wouldn't mind a platform in their Courts to give him a reality check on how stupid he is! i wouldn't be short of help from his detractors would I?
His money wouldn't last long if he picked on folk such as I, remember the McDonalds case, all all the money against plaintiffs with all the time in the world? As Delboy would say "He's a Plonker"! MM

Will
Posts: 315
Joined: 16 Jan 2007, 6:39pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Will » 30 Mar 2020, 10:50am

Ben@Forest wrote:This seems unlikely because Alex Salmond is not currently either an MSP/MP or a member of the SNP. Technically he could be SNP leader without a seat (that must've happened before) but he must be a member of the SNP.


There are plenty of people in the SNP that will demand his membership is re-instated.

He could also become a list MSP if he was put at the top of the party list and one of the list MSPs were to resign. He wouldn't need to wait until next year's Scottish election.

Will

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2832
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Ben@Forest » 30 Mar 2020, 11:00am

Will wrote:There are plenty of people in the SNP that will demand his membership is re-instated.

He could also become a list MSP if he was put at the top of the party list and one of the list MSPs were to resign. He wouldn't need to wait until next year's Scottish election.


That's possible, in fact l don't think if he submitted a membership application it could be refused - technically he's done nothing to warrant it being refused. But that doesn't mean he'd be First Minister or leader of the SNP.

But from what l've read he us more interested in proving the 'rightness' of his own cause, l read he is considering standing as an MSP, but as an Independent.

PH
Posts: 9964
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby PH » 30 Mar 2020, 1:03pm

carpetcleaner wrote:It doesn't say much for the quality of the Scottish prosecution system when it permits so many weak cases to go to court to be dismissed by a jury.

Possible explanations are that it is politicised, incompetent or a combination of both.

Did you look at how it compared with the rest of the UK?

Will
Posts: 315
Joined: 16 Jan 2007, 6:39pm

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Will » 30 Mar 2020, 2:32pm

PH wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:It doesn't say much for the quality of the Scottish prosecution system when it permits so many weak cases to go to court to be dismissed by a jury.

Possible explanations are that it is politicised, incompetent or a combination of both.

Did you look at how it compared with the rest of the UK?


The acquittal rate for rape & attempted rape in Scotland: 55%
The acquittal rate for rape-flagged cases in England & Wales: 58%

This would suggest that the conviction rate is slightly better in Scotland.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/crimi ... 8/pages/4/
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2018-12-13

Will

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8776
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Alex Salmond - court case concluded

Postby Bonefishblues » 30 Mar 2020, 3:03pm

Will wrote:
PH wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:It doesn't say much for the quality of the Scottish prosecution system when it permits so many weak cases to go to court to be dismissed by a jury.

Possible explanations are that it is politicised, incompetent or a combination of both.

Did you look at how it compared with the rest of the UK?


The acquittal rate for rape & attempted rape in Scotland: 55%
The acquittal rate for rape-flagged cases in England & Wales: 58%

This would suggest that the conviction rate is slightly better in Scotland.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/crimi ... 8/pages/4/
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2018-12-13

Will

Slightly different you mean?