Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brooksby

Re: Coronavirus (aka COVID-19) - just how serious?

Post by brooksby »

kwackers wrote:
mercalia wrote:
brooksby wrote:My wife was telling me that she was talking to one of our neighbours on a dog walk on Friday. The neighbour asked if we'd done the 'praise the NHS' handclap thing and she said that we hadn't, said she admires anyone working the so-called front line but didn't feel the need to publicly demonstrate it like that. The neighbour replied that she hoped my wife didn't need to use the NHS any time soon, because that would just be karma!

I find this sort of virtue signalling/loyalty test quite worrying.

lots of ribbish coming out of the woodwork. you should be worried as maybe she will get reported to the morality police

Top of my list is anyone involved in the chain of food production.

If the health service disappeared life would mostly continue, but food? Not a chance.
After that probably services; water & power.
Then probably the health service.

(If the internet vanished then I suspect that would be a plus)

So:

Thursdays, we'll clap for the NHS and social/care workers.

And then,

Mondays, Deliveroo/Uber riders (other food delivery services may exist).
Tuesdays, farm workers and supermarket workers.
Wednesdays, bus drivers.
Fridays, Our Great and Powerful Boris.

Will we get the weekend off...?
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

pete75 wrote:
I think people were meant to clap from doors , balconies in their gardens etc. I didn't do it but I see no harm in doing it.
It gave people a sense of being together and making a group gesture in a crisis which most are powerless to do anything about.
I suspect a lot of health workers will have appreciated it and got a bit of a morale boost.

And it gave a great opportunity to focus all that fear and worry on The Other (the one who didn't clap).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What's the sound of one hand clapping :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting exchange this am on Today (about 7.50 if catching up).

Mr Nobel Prize-Winning Mathematical expert talking about the numbers & their forecasting, amongst other things.

Followed by The Lead Epidemiologist (Prof Ferguson) from Imperial who reflected wryly that suddenly everyone seemed to be an expert in epidemiology. Worth a listen.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 30 Mar 2020, 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

brooksby wrote:
pete75 wrote:
I think people were meant to clap from doors , balconies in their gardens etc. I didn't do it but I see no harm in doing it.
It gave people a sense of being together and making a group gesture in a crisis which most are powerless to do anything about.
I suspect a lot of health workers will have appreciated it and got a bit of a morale boost.

And it gave a great opportunity to focus all that fear and worry on The Other (the one who didn't clap).

I doubt many if any people were thinking like that.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:80% of Italian deceased have two or more existing ailments, it would seem atributing C.19 as cause of death is at epidemic levels everywhere at the moment. Even a UK coroner trying to fudge the numbers which a hospital are saying is incorrect :evil:
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
So much pressure on people to follow with the grain they cannot see by doing so they create the bias that follows the same pattern as before that started the whole issue off. Test more find more, rinse and repeat until you think you have a massive pandemic/high mortality rate that is false created by the chain of events and humans protecting their own backs.

Germany 25,000 Excess Winter deaths just from flu in 2017/18
Same for Italy in 2016/17, that's before the rises in the year after.
That's excess deaths on top of the norm
And people here use years out of date averages of 17,000 annual flu deaths for England :x
I wonder what the attributable deaths from influenza would be if applying the same testing numbers/rates and attributing methods for C.19 :roll:

May I suggest that, although your posts correctly indicate that there is no easy cause & effect mechanic applicable to the complex interactions of humans, various human malfunctions, the agents of the malfunctions and the environment in which it all occurs ....... you still fall over this same difficulty yourself by essentially saying, "It's this not that".

Of course the virus is acting more as a catalyst in the death-dealing processes than a singular and direct cause of death, in the great majority of cases. This is surely true of all human illnesses, though, despite coroners wanting a nice singular cause for their certificates.

Yet it seems an obvious truism that a catalyst (such as the COVID bug) can and does increase the incidence of a reaction and it's outcome (death processes in humans) above and beyond the norm or uncatalysed situation. All this arguing that you do about what "the real" cause is seems to ignore this simple catalytic effect of COVID.....?

And does it not also, being a novel virus to human immune systems, compress a "normal" death rate too, merely by doing it's death dealing act rather more swiftly than does a flu or other thing which many humans have some degree of resilience against compared to COVID?

I don't understand what central point you're trying to make, really, other than "I am right and everyone not agreeing with me is wrong". Or is that just your rhetorical style? It does tend to obscure your essential message.

I know you'll issue a long and noisy corrective if you feel my description of the catalytic effect is "wrong". :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Interesting exchange this am on Today (about 7.50 if catching up).

Mr Nobel Prize-Winning Mathematical expert talking about the numbers & their forecasting, amongst other things.

Followed by The Lead Epidemiologist (Prof Ferguson) from Imperial who reflected wryly that suddenly everyone seemed to be an expert in epidemiology. Worth a listen.

Not to mention everyone suddenly becoming a statistician :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

"Propaganda-hunting website claims to have found propaganda" shock!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Interesting exchange this am on Today (about 7.50 if catching up).

Not to mention everyone suddenly becoming a statistician :wink:

In the words of Daddy Pig, 'I'm a bit of an expert"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The government may have missed an opportunity to get 25,000 extra ventilators. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 32296.html

The article quotes Mr Don't belive what experts say Gove as refusing to back scientists who have suggested the peak of the outbreak will now be in mid-April, rather than late May or early June as originally expected.
Gove also said "The date of the peak depends on all of our behaviour – it’s not a fixed date in the calendar like Easter,” Doesn't the man realise Easter hasn't got a fixed date?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:

"Propaganda-hunting website claims to have found propaganda" shock!

It is backed up by this statistical report. https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronaviru ... rzo-v2.pdf
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
pete75 wrote:
The thing about bikes is you don't need special cycle parking. Just lean it against a wall or even fit a prop stand - doesn't need much space to stand on it's stand.

Where do you live? Thanks for your advice but unfortunately I can't follow it in my locality.

Hmmm A wall is a wall. Doesn't matter where the wall is. Where I live is none of your business.
Hmmm,.. A bike thief is a bike thief. And it does matter where the bike thief is. If he's in your locality it is plenty of your business! Take care!

Mind you, who'd want to steal a bike - not knowing whose bugs are on the handlebar? But best to lock up all the same...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If anyones in any doubt about how serious this is, take a look through wikipedias list of recent deaths: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaths_in_2020
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....