Make your own face mask?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike Sales

Make your own face mask?

Post by Mike Sales »

I see Austria has made face masks obligatory for shopping.
Since they are in short supply, I wondered whether there was anything to stop you making your own. Are they any more than a piece of cloth (clean presumably) with strings?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
DevonDamo

Re: Make your own face mask?

Post by DevonDamo »

If you were just wearing them to comply with a requirement to wear something before leaving the house, then you could probably get away with making something if you were handy with a sewing machine. I can't imagine anyone demanding you remove it to check for a standards mark. Personally, I'd just raid my garage and find any old grotty throwaway paper mask and keep using that. The purpose of wearing them is to prevent you from infecting others when you cough, so any barrier in front of your nose and mouth should achieve that.

If you actually wanted to wear something to protect yourself, paper masks are rarely the answer. Even the 'good' ones (i.e. those with two straps, an exhalation valve and a bit of bendy metal you fold around the bridge of your nose) wouldn't stop you breathing in an aerosol. To get decent protection from an ori-nasal mask, you'd need to be clean shaven and the mask would need to have a rubber seal and be tested that it actually fits your face shape. Alternatively, a full length face visor would protect you from other people's coughs.

I doubt they'd introduce such a requirement in the UK though. I reckon they'd decide that on balance it would cause them more problems in terms of enforcement and public unrest.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

People here use anything from cotton bandanas to bandages. The latter I think was a triangular bandage worn like a bandana. Often with air gaps and even nose not covered. Then there's few wearing eye protection. Some wear gloves others don't.

IMHO it you really want to go the PPE route then you need a proper, rated mask that fits and you use it properly. You need eye protection and gloves. If not then your eyes can let in the virus as well as your mouth and nose.

My preference is going out later on in the day when it's quiet, use own shopping bag as basket, self service checkouts and chip & pin payment only. In other words reduce my chances of meeting someone who could be carrying the virus. I think that's better than poor PPE at busy times.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

They tell me Thongs are in short supply :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Thanks.
I was thinking about what might comply with a requirement like Austria's, not full protection.
Apart from a standards mark, what would differ between a home made and a commercially produced mask?
I guess not, if some authorities are happy with a bandana, as T.Metal says.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote:They tell me Thongs are in short supply :?

I suppose a second hand one would do the job.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote:

I suppose a second hand one would do the job.

:shock:
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

DevonDamo wrote:If you were just wearing them to comply with a requirement to wear something before leaving the house, then you could probably get away with making something if you were handy with a sewing machine. I can't imagine anyone demanding you remove it to check for a standards mark. Personally, I'd just raid my garage and find any old grotty throwaway paper mask and keep using that. The purpose of wearing them is to prevent you from infecting others when you cough, so any barrier in front of your nose and mouth should achieve that.

If you actually wanted to wear something to protect yourself, paper masks are rarely the answer. Even the 'good' ones (i.e. those with two straps, an exhalation valve and a bit of bendy metal you fold around the bridge of your nose) wouldn't stop you breathing in an aerosol. To get decent protection from an ori-nasal mask, you'd need to be clean shaven and the mask would need to have a rubber seal and be tested that it actually fits your face shape. Alternatively, a full length face visor would protect you from other people's coughs.

I doubt they'd introduce such a requirement in the UK though. I reckon they'd decide that on balance it would cause them more problems in terms of enforcement and public unrest.

OT - I shaved for the first time in 40 years this week to allow Mask fitting
Graham

Post by Graham »

Fortunately, I have endless pairs of worn-out, grimey underpants in the garage rag-bin. No problemo . . . . .
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cunobelin wrote:OT - I shaved for the first time in 40 years this week to allow Mask fitting

I'll bet a thong fits better too :wink:
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Use a Buff/Neck Doo-Dah.

Also, I’ve heard that banks are putting up the Contactless payment limit from £30 to £45 from 1st April, which is good because my shopping bill always seem to be just over £30.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
T-800

Post by T-800 »

There are a number of videos on social media showing how to make one from a pair of mens boxers.
Cue every chav riding nicked bikes/scooters etc to adopt this method.
https://youtu.be/gLuEE7nF9CA
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm just back from Vietnam and many/most locals were wearing some form of mask.

At first they were mainly surgical style and I was given 3 by different hotels. As time went on, the locals started to produce cloth ones that fitted over nose and chin. These were no more than double cloth, cut and machined to shape with 2 elasticated ear straps.

I got given one of these cloth ones on entering a market. It had a slot to insert a sheet of some form of membrane (akin to a sheet of toilet paper). Three sheets were supplied, but I don't know if you used them one at a time or all together.

These cloth ones were often made of bright or patterned material to appeal to kids and older fashionistas. I doubt that they would meet any international standards, but they certainly work as a first line (outgoing) barrier.

Get your sewing machine out and make one - who knows, it may even be the start of a burgeoning business.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I thought face masks were of marginal help to the wearer. I guess they act as a sneeze screen, so in that respect, I guess pretty much anything will do that stops the spray. Next time I go into the bank, perhaps I'll wear a stocking over my head. What could go worng.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Si

Post by Si »

Well I guess that if you are going out wearing nothing but your thong you should have little problem maintaining a 2m exclusion zone!