Make your own face mask?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LittleGreyCat

Re: Make your own face mask?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Si wrote:
reohn2 wrote:They tell me Thongs are in short supply :?

Well I guess that if you are going out wearing nothing but your thong you should have little problem maintaining a 2m exclusion zone!

Ah! Just a thong at twilight.......
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

What's really needed is a 3l bleach container with a HEPA canister filter (tight fit) from a vacuum inside with a portable uvc light pushed up the middle for good measure. Holes drilled round the outside and the top secured to a pipe and face mask.

Too much time on my hands I think!!!

Cheers James
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you want to use underwear as a facemask there is always the international award winning* Emergency Bra that converts into 2 facemasks! :D

(*The 2009 Ig Nobel Public Health Prize Winner.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:

Well I guess that if you are going out wearing nothing but your thong you should have little problem maintaining a 2m exclusion zone!

With a body like mine it'll be more like 2 miles :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:

If you want to use underwear as a facemask there is always the international award winning* Emergency Bra that converts into 2 facemasks! :D

I'm getting very worried about you Rick :? :shock:
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Mar 2020, 11:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TrevA wrote:Use a Buff/Neck Doo-Dah........

Much better with an emergency boob-bra
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Graham wrote:Fortunately, I have endless pairs of worn-out, grimey underpants in the garage rag-bin. No problemo . . . . .

Haste la vista baby......
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:

Well I have been going to Chester to be a Fabulous Lady* fairly regularly! 8)

(*I'm an honorary member of Chester Fabulous Ladies as tandem pilot for my friend Clare on your old tandem :D )
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:If you want to use underwear as a facemask there is always the international award winning* Emergency Bra that converts into 2 facemasks! :D

Well I have been going to Chester to be a Fabulous Lady* fairly regularly! 8)

(*I'm an honorary member of Chester Fabulous Ladies as tandem pilot for my friend Clare on your old tandem :D )

I had my suspicions,not least Chester and bras having a lot in common :lol:
W H Auden
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I see decathlon are still selling their surface snorkelling mask. That would get a few comments.
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Jamesh wrote:What's really needed is a 3l bleach container with a HEPA canister filter (tight fit) from a vacuum inside with a portable uvc light pushed up the middle for good measure. Holes drilled round the outside and the top secured to a pipe and face mask.
Too much time on my hands I think!!!
Cheers James

one problem, bleach is still sold out

I've noticed when going on some of the less salubrious websites (such as dailynail, guardian, etc) are becoming rife with adverts for various UV virus killing sterilisers, including handheld devices. Me thinks there be monsters ahead Cap'ain

For human beings, skin exposure to germicidal wavelengths of UV light can produce rapid sunburn and skin cancer. Exposure of the eyes to this UV radiation can produce extremely painful inflammation of the cornea and temporary or permanent vision impairment, up to and including blindness in some cases. UV can damage the retina of the eye.

Another potential danger is the UV production of ozone, which can be harmful to one's health. The US Environmental Protection Agency designated 0.05 parts per million (ppm) of ozone to be a safe level. Lamps designed to release UVC and higher frequencies are doped so that any UV light below 254 nm wavelengths will not be released, to minimize ozone production. A full-spectrum lamp will release all UV wavelengths, and will produce ozone when UVC hits oxygen (O2) molecules.

UV-C radiation is able to break down chemical bonds. This leads to rapid aging of plastics, insulation, gaskets, and other materials. Note that plastics sold to be "UV-resistant" are tested only for UV-B, as UV-C doesn't normally reach the surface of the Earth. When UV is used near plastic, rubber, or insulation, care should be taken to shield these items; metal tape or aluminum foil will suffice.

Still, probably just as effective as wearing your own underpants on your head, drinking 100 proof whisky (Vorpal never did tell me where she gets her 100 Vodka from) or rinsing your mouth out with apple vinegar.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
@graham...You'll need some instructions.(youtube link) You're very welcome :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Graham

Post by Graham »

^ :lol: They look a bit too clean. I prefer the grey / brown / yellow camouflage + keeps the diseased masses afar . . .. .
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:

Still, probably just as effective as wearing your own underpants on your head, drinking 100 proof whisky (Vorpal never did tell me where she gets her 100 Vodka from) or rinsing your mouth out with apple vinegar.

Wearing your underpants on your head(must be your own and due for a sonic bath clean)whilst rinsing mouth out with cider vinegar three times a day definitely works,I haven't had a days illness all my life :) .
W H Auden
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

If you want to make an actual mask, for actually using, without sewing, try a squint at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOe_8z8k01U

Cut carbon filter papers for kitchen extractor fans down to size to fit the mask.

Austria and bits of southern Germany are requiring mask for shoppers, and the WHO are reported on that BBC to be reevaluating their advice about masks.

*edit: PS, an annoying advert runs first, just skip over that. You can use J cloths and similar for disposable masks; burn them in a metal bucket afterwards with a splash of lighter fuel.
*second edit: and another thing, if it's yourself that you are trying to protect, rather than passing third parties, you need to wear eye protection such as specs, shades, safety glasses or whatever. Wipe the specs with an antiseptic wipe now and again and bin the wipes.

And no, I'm not a medic. I am a tired out, broken down, old ex squadie who had to endure a lot of chemical and biological warfare training in the past.
Agitate, educate, organise.