MEKK 1.5 front mech hanger

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PaulWestbrook

MEKK 1.5 front mech hanger

Post by PaulWestbrook »

Hi all

Hope you can help. The front mech hanger on my MEKK 1.5 has snapped! I cannot find one anywhere on line. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Best wishes
Paul
Ugly

Re: MEKK 1.5 front mech hanger

Post by Ugly »

Find a skilled welder used to precision aluminium welding who can rejoin the broken bit to the frame, there will be paint damage. or
Carefully file off the remains of the bracket and buy a suitable sized band on front changer assuming that the tube is a conventional size.
PaulWestbrook

Post by PaulWestbrook »

Thanks very much and good idea. The frame is carbon, so I'll have to drill out the pot rivets and find a welder somewhere to fix the hanger.
Paul
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Looks like it has a tapered seat tube, so it's unlikely you will get a band-on mech to fit. It's probably worth getting onto Mekk to ask if they can supply a replacement. Not sure a welding repair would be feasible - might be easier to get a metal worker to fabricate another, which shouldn't be too difficult..
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Are Mekk bikes still going?

Just haven't heard anything about them recently.

Cheers James
hamster

Post by hamster »

You should be able to find another hanger and rivet it on.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The company only advertise Rutland cycling as dealers http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Dealers.aspx

If they can't help, they might know who the UK distributor is, who would be the last hope.

Is the current one band on of some sort of braze on mount that screws into the frame. I'd be surprised if someone who knows more about that than me couldn't point you to something. Not sure how proprietary such inserts are.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

there are lots of bikes which use a pop-riveted/glued FD bracket; sod's law says that no two will be alike, but you never know. If you can post a photo of the bracket (perhaps and measure the spacing of the rivet holes) maybe someone can suggest something similar? It might be as simple as reshaping/drilling some holes in a different bracket.

Here are a few photos of some different brackets; are any of them similar?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

iandriver wrote:If they can't help, they might know who the UK distributor is, who would be the last hope.

Mekk is a British brand..
PaulWestbrook

Post by PaulWestbrook »

Thanks all.

From looking online I saw a Post that MEKK no longer operate so will contact The Rutland team and also Take a few pics and post them up. The mach hanger is also in-laid into the frame.

Best wishes
Paul
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

thatsnotmyname wrote:
iandriver wrote:If they can't help, they might know who the UK distributor is, who would be the last hope.

Mekk is a British brand..

If they do their own distribution, that would be your answer then.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
PaulWestbrook

Post by PaulWestbrook »

Hi all. Here are the pics.

IMG_1490 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1489 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1488 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1487 - Copy.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1487.JPG
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Doesn't look tapered actually, so may be possible to get a band on adapter to fit after all..
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about taking the mount off.

Making a mould of it out of silicone rubber and then moulding one out of carbon fibre?

Cheers James
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

You might find something to match here: https://soshanger.com/Front-derailleur-hanger

If not, then one of these, or similar, might do: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bsp-90-shi ... vcEALw_wcB