Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: UK government,an incompentent bunch of liars?

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Pete75, Oh dear, your paranoia is showing :shock: !
If I read my O.E.D. correctly the word "Trot" is a work denoting the pace that a horse may travel at, others being walk, canter, gallop.
But you obviously overlooked the possibility of me using the commonly known word in such sense?
I have of course suffered serious bowel movements in the past, so a "Touch of the Trots" has passed my lips. Whether that is "Regular" or "Irregular" is open to question :lol: .
Always keep an eye open for elephant traps in my posts! Also Virtual Custard Pies :wink: . TTFN MM

You know as well as I do that you didn't use it in that sense. Stop dissembling.

I agree with the serious bowel movements.... only it is verbal diarrhoea
Last edited by Cunobelin on 3 Apr 2020, 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Re: UK government,an incompentent bunch of liars?

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Great to hear the positive responses of Yvette Cooper with Matt Hancock on Question Time. "We are all in this together".

At 8pm we were all out in the street applauding and lots of Carers from my wife's Care Home drove and walked by. They obviously loved it.

We are all in this together and everyone should do their level best to look after the weakest poorest and lonely, it's going to be a long job.

Just pack in bleating and get out there and do something good!

Al

Fat lot of good a bit of applause will do them on their poverty wages.

As soon as this crisis is over the wages won't change but the applause will.

One of my colleagues had a big bunch of flowers and a bottle of Prosecco left on her doorstep with a thank you note, another had flowers.

You would be surprised at just how much good it does. Knowing that there is public support and empathy is a powerful motivator.
reohn2

Re: Is the UK government an incompentent bunch of liars?

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:The opening...

BBC News - Coronavirus: Nightingale Hospital opens at London's ExCel centre
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52150598

Well done to everyone involved!

Al

Yes,well done indeed,an incredible achievement in such a short time scale :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

carpetcleaner wrote:
bikepacker wrote:Everyone should feel sorry for the Labour and Manifesto group supporters on this forum. They have recently had their biggest electoral defeat since the second world war to the party led by the man they hate. Added to that no matter what they shout his approval rating is still climbing among the British public.

So what do they have left? All they are able to do is; whine, complain, bitch, criticise, blame, and live in the past. They know they will never again form a government so what else can they do? Pity that along the way they have to ruin many of the topics on this forum with their left-wing clap trap.

They just love moaning. It provides them with the opportunity to complain about how evil their opponents are and how gullible the masses are for voting for them.

The rest of us disappoint and frustrate them. It must be hard for such noble creatures to share a planet with us.

Iss, iss! Why have you not all been send to Planet Zogg with the hairdressers and estate agents!? There you could pretend away as much as you like about any and everything, estate agent style, whilst sporting peculiar hairdos. (Don't forget to take your Bojo and the other stuffed gonk-toys, by the way).

On the other hand, I fear we may all already be living on Planet Zogg, which was sold to us by an estate agent with a particularly silver tongue. "Here we have a prime example of a highly desirable planet with many mod cons such as cars, planes, nuclear bombs and tasty burgers. Live in the fine not-so-communal Blighty gated village with plenty of other mad old barmpots who used to run The Empire, or what was left of it (The Falklands)". Etcetera.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Re: Positive thoughts on a negative topic

Post by al_yrpal »

Great to see something nice from Cunobelin. Next week its my wifes birthday I will have to leave the card, flowers, Prosecco and chocolates in the porch at the Care Home. There will also be presents for her Carers all of whom I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the last 6 months. They really do Care doing a great job and it shows.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

I too feel that a little excess of ungentlemanly intercourse has graced these pages. We need to remember that this situation we're all in, is probably the worst that there's been since WW2, when considering all the interlinking impacts. I don't know of any family member that has died from seasonal flu in the past. But I fear that in the coming months I might lose more than a few. I don't know of any doctor or nurse that has died from flu caught while treating others in hospital, but already around the globe hundreds have died. And I don't know how the tory party intend paying for this war chest, without yet many more years of austerity born mainly upon the working class, as per history.

But, I do know that some of us on this forum already have to deal with emotional and physiological impacts due to their particular situations made much worse by current movement restrictions. And so I really feel that we should be more restrained with our direct and personal insults and insinuations. If you wouldn't say it face to face, don't say it on here guys, it's not cricket.
Cunobelin

Re: Positive thoughts on a negative topic

Post by Cunobelin »

al_yrpal wrote:Great to see something nice from Cunobelin. Next week its my wifes birthday I will have to leave the card, flowers, Prosecco and chocolates in the porch at the Care Home. There will also be presents for her Carers all of whom I have had the pleasure of getting to know over the last 6 months. They really do Care doing a great job and it shows.

Al

Sorry to hear that.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Cugel wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
bikepacker wrote:Everyone should feel sorry for the Labour and Manifesto group supporters on this forum. They have recently had their biggest electoral defeat since the second world war to the party led by the man they hate. Added to that no matter what they shout his approval rating is still climbing among the British public.

So what do they have left? All they are able to do is; whine, complain, bitch, criticise, blame, and live in the past. They know they will never again form a government so what else can they do? Pity that along the way they have to ruin many of the topics on this forum with their left-wing clap trap.

They just love moaning. It provides them with the opportunity to complain about how evil their opponents are and how gullible the masses are for voting for them.

The rest of us disappoint and frustrate them. It must be hard for such noble creatures to share a planet with us.

Iss, iss! Why have you not all been send to Planet Zogg with the hairdressers and estate agents!? There you could pretend away as much as you like about any and everything, estate agent style, whilst sporting peculiar hairdos. (Don't forget to take your Bojo and the other stuffed gonk-toys, by the way).

On the other hand, I fear we may all already be living on Planet Zogg, which was sold to us by an estate agent with a particularly silver tongue. "Here we have a prime example of a highly desirable planet with many mod cons such as cars, planes, nuclear bombs and tasty burgers. Live in the fine not-so-communal Blighty gated village with plenty of other mad old barmpots who used to run The Empire, or what was left of it (The Falklands)". Etcetera.

Cugel

Perhaps I should have added 'sarcastic comments' to the list.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
pete75

Post by pete75 »

You mean just like you lot did during all the years we were in the EU and all the years Tony Blair was PM. You've a very short memory and also have form for coming out with a lot of right wing claptrap.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
llayercake

Post by llayercake »

fullupandslowingdown wrote:I too feel that a little excess of ungentlemanly intercourse has graced these pages. We need to remember that this situation we're all in, is probably the worst that there's been since WW2, when considering all the interlinking impacts. I don't know of any family member that has died from seasonal flu in the past. But I fear that in the coming months I might lose more than a few. I don't know of any doctor or nurse that has died from flu caught while treating others in hospital, but already around the globe hundreds have died. And I don't know how the tory party intend paying for this war chest, without yet many more years of austerity born mainly upon the working class, as per history.

But, I do know that some of us on this forum already have to deal with emotional and physiological impacts due to their particular situations made much worse by current movement restrictions. And so I really feel that we should be more restrained with our direct and personal insults and insinuations. If you wouldn't say it face to face, don't say it on here guys, it's not cricket.

I'd +1 that but apparently it's a figment of my imagination :D .
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pete75 wrote:

You mean just like you lot did during all the years we were in the EU and all the years Tony Blair was PM. You've a very short memory and also have form for coming out with a lot of right wing claptrap.

Is claptrap related to codswallop? The latter is now a banned word, or so I have heard. This makes it difficult to deal with many opinions posted here as another word not quite so appropriate must be found. There's "tommyrot"; "utter balderdash"; "complete hokum"; and my own favourite, "goosewipe and poodlejuice". All of these should include an exclamation mark at the end.

Of course, the nice mods will probably just put them on the banned list now. Cuh!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes Cugel, all the words we might want to use to describe your blabbering have been banned. Erm, I can think of one allowable description, its err ....."extensive" :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Re: UK government,an incompentent bunch of liars!

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
llayercake wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Do we really need another thread?

+1
Didn't we tear each other apart thoroughly enough in the "How serious thread"?

It shouldn't or needn't be about tearing each other apart but about calling out abject failure in poor government action in the face of a pandemic.
I know you feel deeply about this subject, R2: I don't dispute your point of view - but others will! I'm asking, shall we give it a rest? All that you have achieved is more troll-baiting, mudslinging and point-scoring.

I know I started the 'How serious' one - I had no idea what would ensue in it! I don't feel too guilty since someone else would have started it if not me.

If I feel uncomfortable with this thread, goodness knows what Vorpal is making of it..... :shock:

Incidentally, the word "Trot" is spelled throughout this thread with a capital (should that be "Kapital"? :lol: ) letter. That implies a lot! So don't start backpedalling, MM and others!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi 661-Pete, You really do manage to misinterpret thing! "Trot" when capitalized is short for Trotskyist? You really should manage the nuances of the English language & grammar, if you did improve your observational skills you might have noticed the the only place which I did that was at the start of a sentence, which is right & proper!
I did warn you about the elephant traps which I might employ, so you are hoist by your own petard :lol: :lol: :lol: .
You're too easy a target, like a sitting duck. If I who left school with only swimming certificates can catch you out i wouldn't fancy your chances in a real debate?
I used to love going to the speakers forum at Liverpool Pierhead, sadly my hearing would now handicap me, then you may have a sniff of a chance :roll: . IGIMNCB MM
reohn2

Re: UK government,an incompentent bunch of liars!

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It shouldn't or needn't be about tearing each other apart but about calling out abject failure in poor government action in the face of a pandemic.
I know you feel deeply about this subject, R2: I don't dispute your point of view - but others will! ........

That's self evident by some of the posts,to be clear I don't mind rigorous debate but the poor souls who resort to childish name calling show themselves up for what they are IMO.
I always find it quite funny that such people think the government in times of crisis are beyond criticism.I strongly suspect those very same people were at the front of the queue to criticise the government(as was I)during the Gulf War,they may also complain that that was in some way different,I beg to differ.
Disclaimer:- if you're one of those people who were for some reason right behind the government on that war,which I find bizarre,but is your prerogative,you have my apologies for prejudging your war stance
Last edited by reohn2 on 3 Apr 2020, 7:10pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden