We have new competition!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Ah,... yes,... erm.... [stands up and addresses everybody] My name is Beakyboy and i subscribe to another cycling forum. sorry... :oops: :cry:......... But in my defense, (where's a solicitor when you want one? TC?) its an Irish one and I live in Ireland. I have mentioned the old Catlike Whisper a few times but it has fallen on deaf ears! You could almost say it went over their heads, but that would be such a bad pun, I won't!
May the wind always be at your rear!
meic

Post by meic »

Thirdcrank,

You may have been told that "Wyneb dros dro" means temporary road surface but I can tell you they are still just as you left them :cry:
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic

Yes - the one on the other end of the toll bridge from Penmaenpool over the Mawdach estuary was there for at least 10 years to my knowledge and may still be there.

A couple of years ago we stayed at the George III in Penmaenpool. One lunchtime we got into conversation with a couple who were celebrating an eighty something birthday or sixty plus wedding anniversary. I ended up demonstrating my road sign Welch at one point, as a bit of a joke against myself. When they were leaving the lady confidentially explained to me that her husband - a native of North Wales - was very impressed because I used correct Welsh not the (word meaning illegitimate) rubbish they used in the South. I didn't know whether to be pleased or embarrassed because it had not been my intention to be taken seriously like that.

PS I know what it all means in English because there is always a translation for people like me underneath.

PPS. One year we stayed at a beautiful guesthouse - Plas Bach - near Bontddhu. We got talking to a German couple and they made the point how difficult they found having to plough through all the Welsh before getting to the English. I suppose the answewr is to drive more sowly (Arafych...) Errors and ommissions excepted
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic

Post by meic »

I just read your previous post for the first time.

Bloody wingeing Germans, they dont even put English on THEIR roadsigns at all. So how can they complain that we put it all the way down the bottom?
However apart from to the English, Americans and Germans the Welsh are a pretty friendly lot. :lol:

When I go up North I either pretend to be English or deliberately construct phrases that are purely in Southern Welsh (as the two languages overlap for most things) and watch them have to translate it in their heads as I speak. :twisted:
Yma o Hyd
Frere

Post by Frere »

How about this one, 'Cyclists dismount' but welsh? (or not?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4794753.stm

Frere
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm sure meic can tell us - I think it should be something like 'Beicwr maun disgyn' (verb may be wrong) That's from memory - there's a sign with it on in Dolgellau - although even if I've remembered it right the sign itself may be wrong. :?
meic

Post by meic »

Down here in Carmarthenshire, I think we only have the English sign for Cyclists dismount. I certainly cant remember seeing any Welsh wording.
Bilingual signs seem to be more common in English speaking areas :?

Thirdcrank is pretty close,( the signs up North are always a bit pompous.)

Out of interest disgyn does mean dismount but it also means to fall!

The signs do not read the same thing word for word normally.

Up North they would have signs saying "grass cutting"
down here we would say "grass killing".

If you think it is weird look at some English expressions.
Yma o Hyd
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Frere wrote:How about this one, 'Cyclists dismount' but welsh? (or not?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4794753.stm

Frere

I reckon someone was bladdered when they translated that :lol:
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Ever since Khornknight (sp?) posted a link to the London Fixie's site ...

http://www.londonfgss.com/

.... I have become fascinated by the banter and camaraderie there. (The usual warning about profane slang!) And I think that the difference between *that* site and this demonstrates most admirably the point that all cyclists have in common is bicycles. And I love that about cyclists!

I can't see the point in joining the site - for me personally - but as an exiled London-dweller, I do miss the city, and that site really does capture the spirit of London, which I guess, is partly, why I hang out there from time to time. The London Fixies give me my London fix! (So, thank you .... Khornknight! 8) ) It reminds me of my earliest memories of being in contact with cyclists - couriers - when I worked in Soho in the late 80's/early 90's! Good times!
Dee
Khornight

Post by Khornight »

Cool, that's a great description of lfgss (although I'd describe the profanities as slightly more than slang!), I read here and there about equally and can't see me needing to know anything (about bikes at least) that isn't covered by these two forums. They are worlds apart.

Don't thank me, I just posted a link, the thanks should go to the people who administrate the boards... much like I'm sure the people that run here don't get thanks enough.
freedomfighter

Post by freedomfighter »

We have new competition!

It's not really competition. Everything about that forum suggests it aims to cater for an altogether different ilk of user.

Cheers,
meic

Post by meic »

You mean you can classify the ilk of user that comes here! :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Leave my ilk out of this!
Mick F. Cornwall
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »