When will you tour again in the uk?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

When will you tour again in the uk?

Post by 1982john »

For me, at least, touring outside of the UK is written off for the year. So just thinking about what peoples thoughts are on when touring in the UK is viable.

My thoughts on this are both legally and ethically.

We might be out of the strongest lockdown in a few weeks. Assuming this a camping tour, would you go then? Or are you increasing the risk by going round communities for non-essential travel too much?

On the other hand, these businesses (cafes etc) need people to start visiting again.
RobinS

Re: When will you tour again in the uk?

Post by RobinS »

We would still like to do a European tour late summer / autumn if possible - but I fear travel restrictions will last long enough to make that impractical - certainly for our normal 3 month tour we would need to start late July at the latest. If this, or even a 2 month trip are not possible we may look at a UK tour. Our criteria would be, campsites, pubs etc all open, no travel restrictions, and communities actively encouraging visitors - I don't want to go where I'm not welcome.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I already have accommodation booked for a tour around Wales in late July / early August, which I expect not to happen but I am keeping it pencilled in, just in case things straighten up quicker than I expect. I will go if it is legal to do so and I get the impression that I will be welcome where I go. Simple as that, really. I'd love to do it, but only if it feels right.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Probably not this year. Maybe next year at about this time, if the Fhurer and ReichsFhurer allow it next year.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Probably not this year. Maybe next year at about this time, if the Fhurer and ReichsFhurer allow it next year.

One minute you're criticizing the rules, next your policing them!
John
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Nobody knows. If a vaccine magically appears, then perhaps. Otherwise it's use your imagination time.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've decided to be happy this year if I get to do some decent days out and perhaps a weekend or two camping if campsites open again. I know some people are going out for day rides now - and I've nothing at all against that - but I'd just not enjoy it. I appreciate my two or three times a week 8 mile cycle to work though.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Still vaguely hoping for a JOGLE in September.
However it isn't looking very likely at the moment.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i've binned all hopes of a tour anywhere this year, even when restrictions are lifted it will take some time for many businesses, campsites/b&b's/cafes/transport to be open for 'normal' business. Instead the money will go into next years pot. That doesn't mean i won't do something when its okay to do so, 2/3 day trips should be easy to organise and more flexible.

The first thing i will need to do when restrictions are lifted is get reunited with a working tourer - the one i have here needs some major resto work after a hard winter's use and the other which just needs fettling is 200 miles away from me! :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

Slowroad wrote:I've decided to be happy this year if I get to do some decent days out and perhaps a weekend or two camping if campsites open again.

Me to, and of course to be able to cycle with all those I'd normally ride with, if we all got through this it would be a good result.
Everything else seems so minor, but frustrating that I can only afford so many weeks a year without income and I'm likely to exceed those without going anywhere. Here's to dreaming and better times.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

but frustrating that I can only afford so many weeks a year without income and I'm likely to exceed those without going anywhere.

A problem for JanetS and I as well. Our winter season contract driving in Chamonix was terminated a month early, and coming back our usual freelance bus and coach driving has dried up as well. We would normally be off touring for three months from the end of April, but as we don't want see our savings disappear sat at home we are applying for "essential jobs" at present.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

My niece who is a front line doctor and keen traveller is of the opinion that travel without there being a Covide 19 vaccine is quite a risk. I am doing my circuit rides and dreaming of better days. Salisbury plain. Peace route Ypres, St Malo etc. My main aim is to get through this but nothing wrong with dreaming.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit I preferred several short runs out in the Dales and Lakes last year, the first being at the end of March. Presuming the enforcement of the "lockdown" regulations will dissipate during May, I'll probably have a run down the the Dales or wherever during May.

Simple reality is that other than perhaps calling ibriefly into a discount supoermarket somewhere, I shouldn't have any need to be in contact with other people. And while it'd be a nuisance getting a £30.00 fine, I'd still prefer to enjoy life rather than sit around waiting. End of the day the results are conclusive in showing that it's OAP's who are primarily affected by the virus, so it doesn't really have any relevance to me
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

gbnz wrote: End of the day the results are conclusive in showing that it's OAP's who are primarily affected by the virus, so it doesn't really have any relevance to me

So, you are quite happy to enjoy your own selfish pleasures whist spreading infection and bugger all those OAPs who might die as a result?. This is the sort of selfish and stupid behaviour highlighted on TV drawing the attention of the Police.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:
gbnz wrote: End of the day the results are conclusive in showing that it's OAP's who are primarily affected by the virus, so it doesn't really have any relevance to me

So, you are quite happy to enjoy your own selfish pleasures whist spreading infection and bugger all those OAPs who might die as a result?. This is the sort of selfish and stupid behaviour highlighted on TV drawing the attention of the Police.

Al

What Al says - Though I don't think I could have put it so politely.