Cancelling Holidays.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Cancelling Holidays.

Post by Cowsham »

Anyone here having to cancel holidays -- I may have to cancel everything tomorrow costing many hundreds of pounds.

Our accommodation is with an ABTA affiliated company but I fear that I will not be covered even if I do pay the full amount since it isn't a package holiday ( I booked the accommodation with the company separate from travel )

I also have booked shows etc -- I have no travel insurance but haven't checked if my credit card covers this or not.

The holiday is not till the end of June but I have to pay the balance of the accommodation near the end of this month. The other factor is that we have one child who is very high risk ( in icu in November with a type of flu like swine flu -- he's chronic asthmatic ) so we may not be happy about leaving our relatively safe part of NI for York which was hotchin with the virus.

That's the predicament -- anyone else in this scenario ?
I am here. Where are you?
ossie

Re: Cancelling Holidays.

Post by ossie »

How much do you stand to lose ?

I wouldn't be paying a final payment on a June holiday.

We were meant to be flying to Singapore, then Australia in three days time. Flights were £1600 and all have been cancelled. Trying to get even a response from the travel company has been a complete nightmare.

We are also meant to be going to the Caribbean in November and I can't see that happening.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F and Daughter1+son are booked on a holiday in Greece this summer.
Full payment for the package is due at the end of this month having only paid the minimum deposit to secure the booking some time back.

Advice is to pay up, and then if the holiday is a no-no and is cancelled, they get the money back.
If it's not paid, then no refund would be likely.
Mick F. Cornwall
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Looks like the virus might help prevent global warming.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
PH

Post by PH »

If it is still available and you decide not to go, look at the terms and conditions to see if you are entitled to any refund or released from any obligation to pay.
Not my words, straight off the ABTA website. I'd first read those T&C's ,then talk to whoever you bought the holiday from. If you don't have an option to cancel. you might also look at a postponement, I've done this with some accommodation I had booked for May though it wasn't a lot of money.
ossie

Post by ossie »

carpetcleaner wrote:Looks like the virus might help prevent global warming.

You really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.
millimole

Post by millimole »

The advice I've seen (MoneysavingExpert) is to pay the full amount, you stand to lose the deposit, but by paying the full cost it would all be refunded if they cancel the holiday. Your situation may be different, so check carefully!

We had an Interrail holiday booked departing mid-May. All hotels and seat reservations booked - it's taken forever to untangle it and its still not completely sorted.
The most expensive hotels (3) I booked as cheaply as I could on a non-refundable rate - those should be covered by travel insurance. I can't get a straight answer from Eurostar or Austrian Railways (Nightjet sleeper reservation) about refunds.
The ticket issuer, Booking.com and Stena ferries have been exemplary.
The jury is still out on how we're being dealt with by Interrail.eu who issue the seat reservations.
At least I've got the insurance to fall back on - a lesson learned the hard way when EasyJet let us down a couple of years ago.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

ossie wrote:

Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

Stay at home. Stay safe. Don't kill the planet.

My planned holidays are staying with friends in London, cycling in North Wales and camping in Dumfries and Galloway. As soon as the lock down is lifted I'll be OK. My only concern is rearranged football matches. I have a season ticket and a 29 year year record of never missing a home match to protect.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I know it does not cover everybody, but the Watchdog advice was to pay as that way they cancelled and had to refund, if you don't pay you have breached and you lose any deposit
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:

Is there anything more important than saving the planet for our children and grandchildren?

My planned holidays are staying with friends in London, cycling in North Wales and camping in Dumfries and Galloway. As soon as the lock down is lifted I'll be OK. My only concern is rearranged football matches. I have a season ticket and a 29 year year record of never missing a home match to protect.

You do realise that there is a balance..... whilst some sorts of pollution are down others are up

Look forward to your evidence that the overall benefit is positive.

Then you can follow up with how the current death toll justifies those savings
ossie

Post by ossie »

carpetcleaner wrote:

Give over

The guy wanted to know if he should pay his balance off, he didn't need a lecture on saving the planet...likewise ...some decent advice above it appears..
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Give over

The guy wanted to know if he should pay his balance off, he didn't need a lecture on saving the planet...likewise ...some decent advice above it appears..

The climate crisis is a much bigger threat to humanity than the virus.

Are we really expected to show concern for people who are experiencing difficulties with their globetrotting?
ossie

Post by ossie »

carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

Give over

Are we really expected to show concern for people who are experiencing difficulties with their globetrotting?

The thread is about his holiday..he also wanted to know about others in a similar position.

Instead of trolling it perhaps pop off and start a climate change thread...just an idea.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
Give over

The thread is about his holiday..he also wanted to know about others in a similar position.

Instead of trolling it perhaps pop off and start a climate change thread...just an idea.

I don't mind if you post on this thread or not. I'll read all your posts. One of the benefits of this horrible virus emergency is the reduction in CO2 emissions. Another is less deadly urban air pollution. Once the emergency is over I think we should strive to continue these benefits.

Cycling UK is an organisation which promotes cycling as good for the environment so I don't think it is unreasonable to contribute to a Cycling UK forum topic which encourages activity which is bad for the environment - ie foreign travel by aeroplane.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-campaigning
ossie

Post by ossie »

carpetcleaner wrote:
ossie wrote:
carpetcleaner wrote:

I don't mind if you post on this thread or not. I'll read all your posts. One of the benefits of this horrible virus emergency is the reduction in CO2 emissions. Another is less deadly urban air pollution. Once the emergency is over I think we should strive to continue these benefits.

Cycling UK is an organisation which promotes cycling as good for the environment so I don't think it is unreasonable to contribute to a Cycling UK forum topic which encourages activity which is bad for the environment - ie foreign travel by aeroplane.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle-campaigning

Thanks for trying to teach me to suck eggs but that is a really tenuous link . This place was actually the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) before they did a fancy name change and long before you joined a random forum in the hope of trying to educate people .

Can we get back on topic for the OP's sake ? Many of us must be in a similar position.