When will you tour again in the uk?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
James Up Hill

Re: When will you tour again in the uk?

Post by James Up Hill »

RobinS wrote:Currently we are allowed to go out for a modest bike ride, or a run, for exercise.

The word 'modest' does not feature in the guidelines! Why do you think you are limited to a modest bike ride? And what is modest? 1k? 10k? 100k? 1000k?

It is very unclear that camping in the middle of your exercise would flout the letter of the law. Spirit, who knows. I've cycled about 15 miles around central London this evening. I should guess I came within 1 metre of 250 people, and 50cm of 50 people. (I walked to Tescos that is 10 doors away from my home afterwards and should think I came within 1 metre of 2 dozen people, 50cm of 1 dozen and was pretty much touched by half a dozen.) That's what life in central London is like - I'm well inside zone 1. Pull up at traffic lights on your own, and they will swarm around you - mostly Deliveroo drivers on mopeds or bicycles. Cycle down a cycle-path that is only 1.5m wide, and there you are, you can't avoid them. If you don't want to starve you have to go close to people. I suspect that amongst Londoners a huge proportion of those who will ever get it have already had it.

As you say, RobinS, HM Government could indeed have brought in very severe rules. But they did not, as they regard it important the virus continue to be spread around the population. Given the death rate is dropping (which is based on people who caught it three weeks ago (or possibly four if you believe somebody who disagreed with me up-thread), this is heading in the right direction and rapidly - and HMG are not going to increase the level of the lockdown whilst the death rate is reducing. The population would not wear it.
PH

Post by PH »

James Up Hill wrote:It is very unclear that camping in the middle of your exercise would flout the letter of the law.

I'm surprised the moderators continue to allow the promotion of illegal activity. Of course it's clear, the emergency powers allow the police to give you a FPN if you are not at home and do not have one of the permitted reasons for not being there. Cycle touring would not be one of those permitted reasons. The law does not have to specifically proscribe everything, the police issue FPN's if they think it's justified and you pay up or take it to court where you would stand absolutely no chance of overturning it.
ossie

Post by ossie »

James Up Hill wrote:
RobinS wrote:Currently we are allowed to go out for a modest bike ride, or a run, for exercise.

The word 'modest' does not feature in the guidelines! Why do you think you are limited to a modest bike ride? And what is modest? 1k? 10k? 100k? 1000k?

It is very unclear that camping in the middle of your exercise would flout the letter of the law. Spirit, who knows. I've cycled about 15 miles around central London this evening. I should guess I came within 1 metre of 250 people, and 50cm of 50 people. (I walked to Tescos that is 10 doors away from my home afterwards and should think I came within 1 metre of 2 dozen people, 50cm of 1 dozen and was pretty much touched by half a dozen.) That's what life in central London is like - I'm well inside zone 1. Pull up at traffic lights on your own, and they will swarm around you - mostly Deliveroo drivers on mopeds or bicycles. Cycle down a cycle-path that is only 1.5m wide, and there you are, you can't avoid them. If you don't want to starve you have to go close to people. I suspect that amongst Londoners a huge proportion of those who will ever get it have already had it.

As you say, RobinS, HM Government could indeed have brought in very severe rules. But they did not, as they regard it important the virus continue to be spread around the population. Given the death rate is dropping (which is based on people who caught it three weeks ago (or possibly four if you believe somebody who disagreed with me up-thread), this is heading in the right direction and rapidly - and HMG are not going to increase the level of the lockdown whilst the death rate is reducing. The population would not wear it.

Keep to the city James.

You sound like you're at home there and judging by your previous posts a proposed tour and possible mechanical in the sticks might well send you over the edge and looking for your nearest Uber for a trip home.

We're all armed with pitch forks and Jack Russells as well

Stay safe :wink:
Graham

Post by Graham »

Anyone considering wild camping at this stage of the pandemic, would be advised to think very carefully about trying to justify it on a public internet forum.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Graham wrote:Anyone considering wild camping at this stage of the pandemic, would be advised to think very carefully about trying to justify it on a public internet forum.

Isn't the essence of wild camping to go undetected?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Just had a bad thought: wheh things go back to normal everyone is going to be holidaying at the same time so the roads could be mental.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...when things go back to normal everyone is going to be holidaying at the same time so the roads could be mental.
As we speak, it's not entirely clear what exactly "normal" will be and when things might return to it... could be dictated very firmly by the availability of the mythical vaccine. We have plenty of time yet to enjoy the planning stage of our next trip. :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

1982john wrote:Just had a bad thought: wheh things go back to normal everyone is going to be holidaying at the same time so the roads could be mental.

I've been thinking along the same lines. It won't be 'normal'; there will still be social distancing in place for a long time but perhaps there will be an earlier stage where it's OK to travel about again. Not only roads busy, but available accommodation (that's able to provide suitable distancing) could be in short supply.
Chris F, Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

1982john wrote:Just had a bad thought: wheh things go back to normal everyone is going to be holidaying at the same time so the roads could be mental.

Lots of people are going to be skint, either working to pay of the debt or too poor to go anywhere.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

PH wrote:

Lots of people are going to be skint, either working to pay of the debt or too poor to go anywhere.

It's always a case of for some will be worse off but for those that have kept their income they've been spending nothing so will have a lot more spare cash than usual.

Everyone who want to go away in nice weather is probably going to have a window of july/august and few will be risking flights so it will mostly be in the UK.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

1982john wrote:
PH wrote:

It's always a case of for some will be worse off but for those that have kept their income they've been spending nothing so will have a lot more spare cash than usual.

Everyone who want to go away in nice weather is probably going to have a window of july/august and few will be risking flights so it will mostly be in the UK.

That's what I'd been hoping for. I'd assumed I'd lose the money on my paid for flights to do the Rhine RadWeg, but that we'd be able to do someting in the UK.

But looking at Germany's cautious release, I can't see how we'd dare try different. From what was said yesterday, there'll be significant lockdown restrictions until the UK ups its testing game and significant social distancing requirements until there's a vaccine or serious therapeutics which make recovery more likely.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

That's what I'd been hoping for. I'd assumed I'd lose the money on my paid for flights to do the Rhine RadWeg, but that we'd be able to do someting in the UK.

But looking at Germany's cautious release, I can't see how we'd dare try different. From what was said yesterday, there'll be significant lockdown restrictions until the UK ups its testing game and significant social distancing requirements until there's a vaccine or serious therapeutics which make recovery more likely.

I think it is decidedly possible that cycletouring in Germany will allowed well before the UK, as they have controlled the outbreak much more effectively (so far). The question would be whether they would allow people from "infected UK" in!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The rules seem to be, no restaurants, no bars, small groups of friends meetings only, slow return to work, no large events until September.

I've asked a German friend to check my translation.

I can't see the UK being any different, except we'll take longer to get to the semi-removal of lockdown stage.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

foxyrider wrote:...next to the Bath/Bristol
Crikey! You're a long way from home, fr... would have invited you in for a cuppa & some home-made banana loaf, but the for the current circumstances - and I've just eaten the last slice :shock:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote:
foxyrider wrote:...next to the Bath/Bristol
Crikey! You're a long way from home, fr... would have invited you in for a cuppa & some home-made banana loaf, but the for the current circumstances - and I've just eaten the last slice :shock:

i'm currently 'stuck' in Bristol :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!