Erroneous Dings

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
philvantwo

Re: Erroneous Dings

Post by philvantwo »

That's if you ride around city centres all the time, I stick mostly to the lanes now and the odd B road, plenty to choose from here in south staffs. If theres any pedestrians or horses up ahead I just shout 'coming through' and its always worked!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote:Presumably if you have fitted a new spring already you will know which style of fitting you are dealing with.
Thanks for the advice re removing the spring. I may have a play over the weekend and take photos of how it's assembled.

As for the fitting of a new spring, it came already fitted on a bracket. Just a matter of unscrewing the bell and replacing the bracket, then screwing the bell dome back on.

Busy this morning, riding Marjorie Dawes to our daughter. The bike is now finished. Only five or six miles, but I have to get out of the valley first! :lol:
IMG_0121.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Spot the pump!! :lol:
mig

Post by mig »

i thought that you'd damaged a tube on your bike when i read the thread title. in cycling terms a 'ding' to me is a dent in a frame tube although i see the bell related connotation too now obviously.
just glad to see your mercian bike doesn't need the attentions of a frame builder!
i have never seen those bells before. they're lovely items.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have a Lion bell and it does give a slight ding over cattle grids, but not otherwise. I like it. It isn't a problem.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Erroneous Dings was a cruel and grasping landlord, preying on those who had given mostly given up their dreams, and were living one day to the next, in the greasy shadows of humanities' frail empire....

...Er, wait that's not right....

...Perhaps it's me, but it looks like the spring of the striker is mounted on a plate and by the bolt which attaches the body of the bell to the mount...
...if that's correct, then what happens if you drill a second hole through the striker mount so that when the whole bell is reassembled the striker rests against the bell body, with a little tension in the spring so that the striker is unmoved by any road vibration? Just a thought.

.. Erroneous Dings took long bounding strides across the cobble walk way... he was on his way to see his latest tenant, Miss Violet Albrite.... already she was three weeks late with the rent, and a smile across his drawn features as he considered her long dark hair and those dark brown eyes...
...Unoticed by Mr Dings, a shadow detached itself from those which lurked under the railway arches... there was a quick flash as sunlight caught the steel surface of a wicked and terrible blade... Like some form of otherworldly justice the shadow and knife sped after Erroneous...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the striker normally rests against the bell, the bell won't 'ring'; it'll just go 'clunk'....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

cycle tramp wrote:Erroneous Dings was a cruel and grasping landlord, preying on those who had given mostly given up their dreams, and were living one day to the next, in the greasy shadows of humanities' frail empire....

...Er, wait that's not right....

...Perhaps it's me, but it looks like the spring of the striker is mounted on a plate and by the bolt which attaches the body of the bell to the mount...
...if that's correct, then what happens if you drill a second hole through the striker mount so that when the whole bell is reassembled the striker rests against the bell body, with a little tension in the spring so that the striker is unmoved by any road vibration? Just a thought.

.. Erroneous Dings took long bounding strides across the cobble walk way... he was on his way to see his latest tenant, Miss Violet Albrite.... already she was three weeks late with the rent, and a smile across his drawn features as he considered her long dark hair and those dark brown eyes...
...Unoticed by Mr Dings, a shadow detached itself from those which lurked under the railway arches... there was a quick flash as sunlight caught the steel surface of a wicked and terrible blade... Like some form of otherworldly justice the shadow and knife sped after Erroneous...

Very Dickensian. I enjoyed that. Next installment please. :)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's a couple of photos of the bell off Moulton. I removed the heatshrink to show the spring.
I tried getting the spring off, but I was in danger of turning it into a Slinky. It steadfastly refuses to turn ...... either way.

This one is a handlebar mounted one.
IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Can't you just bend the bracket that the dinger is on so that it is a bit further away from the bell?
Richard M
Cardiff
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, tried it. Eventually it'll stop, but you can't ring the bell when you want to.

Both bells, that is.
One mounted horizontally, the other vertically.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

In the photos the spring looks a larger diameter where it is fitted over the other parts, presumably because it is stretched. I'd expect it to be very tight indeed; maybe it isn't practical to think of removing it.... (but this does rather beg the question 'how did they fit it?'...)

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's always my question about stuff! :D
If it was assembled, it must be able to be unassembled ............ providing they didn't use glue or something.

Maybe it went on hot?
Mick F. Cornwall
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

In tradional Meccano there is a part called a cord anchoring spring which can be pulled off or pushed on to a rod (e.g. an axle) if it is simultaneously twisted in such a direction as would expand the coils. If you twist it in the opposite direction you can't move it at all.
Meccano_cord_anchoring_spring.jpg
Meccano_cord_anchoring_spring.jpg (5.86 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

heat is unlikely IMHO; it would mess up the spring or leave a mark. I wondered about adhesive too, but my suspicion is that it simply isn't needed if you get the tolerances right.

Thinking about it, it ought to be possible to exert a greater force during assembly than disassembly; the coilbound spring ought to be able to bear a greater load in compression than tension. Have you got the old part to fiddle about with? I'd be reluctant to risk damage the one you are using, as doubtless you are too.

edit Chris's cord anchoring spring does indeed work the same way as simplex retrofriction shifter too.

cheers