Lockdown non-touring quiz

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PDQ Mobile

Re: Lockdown non-touring quiz

Post by PDQ Mobile »

jgurney wrote:While both obscure and hardly a route of choice for cyclists, this is as far as I know the only one of it's kind in England.

There used to be one at Bablockhythe, Oxon, but the pictured river looks too small/ shallow
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Are they stone or wood?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Are we looking at the wrong thing then?
There used to be a ferry at Bablockhythe (but never heard of any stepping stones there!), people and precariously balanced bike last time I saw one there (about 25(?) years or so ago).
So is it a cable/chain pull ferry on a public footpath? - though if it is that green thing on the bank, it looks like the cubic cucumber version of those ride on bananas you see at Mediteranean resorts!
Still, I'm not right yet, as I don't know where it is.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

.. is the red boat a ferry?
The green thing looks a double layer. Does it fold out and float, to walk over? (getting fanciful now!).
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

I think I know the unique feature but can't track down the location. Is it on the southwest coast path?
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Mike Sales wrote:There are stepping stones on the River Dove, but these are not them.

There are plenty of stepping stones around England, but I believe these are the only subtidal ones. At high tides (as shown in two of the images) the stepping stones are under about two feet of water and small boats can pass over them.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

PT1029 wrote:.. is the red boat a ferry?
The green thing looks a double layer. Does it fold out and float, to walk over? (getting fanciful now!).

There is no ferry there, the footpath is only passable, via the stepping stones, at low tide. The boat is just a boat, I don't know what the green object is but it might be a floating jetty, to facilitate boarding boats at high tide. It and the boat belong to a house standing nearby.
Last edited by jgurney on 19 Apr 2020, 12:35am, edited 1 time in total.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Are they stone or wood?

Stones.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

cotswolds wrote:I think I know the unique feature but can't track down the location. Is it on the southwest coast path?

The probably unique feature (unique in England, I think) is being subtidal stepping stones. No, they are not on the Southwest Coast Path, but are within a few miles of it.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Well I'm stumped. Can we have another clue?

It is claimed that there are stepping stones covered at high tide at Lerryn in Cornwall near Fowey, but the only pictures of that crossing I can find look a lot less wooded on the banks. But that's only Wikipedia, so it may be fake news!

Are there several stepping stone crossings at Lerryn and yours is the only one actually covered at high tide?
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

I'm stumped as well. I worked out the tidal thing. Clear difference in water level between the summer/winter pictures; not due to flooding, because a flooded river would be running faster. Also, both pictures show slack water, suggesting small difference between high and low tide, which means it's some way inland. Most common place to find this in the UK is tidal creeks in Devon/Cornwall. But despite a lot of searching I couldn't find it - there's a lot of creeks down there.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If tidal, not unique, I think:

https://www.sailawaystanthony.co.uk/ferry/
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

There are tidal stepping stones in South Devon https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.2479909,-3.7211785,123m/data=!3m1!1e3 - I walked my bike across them in early Feb. this year.
Chris F, Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Saved a massive detour, I note :lol:
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

cotswolds wrote:I'm stumped as well. I worked out the tidal thing..... Most common place to find this in the UK is tidal creeks in Devon/Cornwall. But despite a lot of searching I couldn't find it - there's a lot of creeks down there.

Bonefishblues wrote:If tidal, not unique, I think: https://www.sailawaystanthony.co.uk/ferry/

ChrisF wrote:There are tidal stepping stones in South Devon https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.2479909,-3.7211785,123m/data=!3m1!1e3 - I walked my bike across them in early Feb. this year.

I'm glad I posted this, as it has led to my learning from follow posters that the stepping stones I posted about are not unique, which shows that there are still obscure things out there in the English countryside to be discovered. Thank you.

ChrisF, I thought you had got it until I clicked your link and saw you had found another set also in S. Devon, Cotswolds, you are right about a creek in Devon. The spot is at Bow Bridge, near Ashprington, Devon, on a creek called Bow Creek by the OS and Harbourne River by Google https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.39574 ... authuser=0

How about this one instead:

Preferably the street name, not just the city.