Cycling UK Interim CEO

reohn2

Re: Cycling UK Interim CEO

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
reohn2 wrote:This is what happens when a club owned and run by it's members is turned into a so called "charity" and run as a business and it's members become donors.

What happens? You get professional leadership in place? Why is that a bad thing?

What was so bad before when the club(now a "charity")was run and owned by it's members?
How much better is it now than then?
How much more has the "charity" achieved since it's "charitable" status?
It now receives money and tax relief from the very structure it campaigned against with the threat of withdrawal of those benefits and "charitable" status if it makes too many of the wrong noises.
No I'm sorry but the CTC,CUK as it now terms itself,is a "charity" in name only,it was hijacked some time ago and now like so many other so called "charities" has become a business with it's donorship seeing little "charity" or any more benefit as a result.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

reohn2 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
reohn2 wrote:This is what happens when a club owned and run by it's members is turned into a so called "charity" and run as a business and it's members become donors.

What happens? You get professional leadership in place? Why is that a bad thing?

What was so bad before when the club(now a "charity")was run and owned by it's members?
It now receives money and tax relief from the very structure it campaigned against with the threat of withdrawal of those benefits and "charitable" status if it makes too many of the wrong noises.
No I'm sorry but the CTC,CUK as it now terms itself,is a "charity" in name only,it was hijacked some time ago and now like so many other so called "charities" has become a business with it's donorship seeing little "charity" or any more benefit as a result.

Members of the CTC voted to be charity moving away from a member-focused member lead organization to one focusing on promoting cycling generally and being led by selected talented people who aim to create a thrusting go ahead and forward-looking organization.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

You seemed to imply that having professional leadership is a bad thing, brought on by charitable status. My question is what is wrong with the organisation, whether club, charity, business, partnership, social enterprise or whatever, recruiting professional leadership? I don't understand what you're objecting to?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tinpotflowers wrote:
Members of the CTC voted to be charity moving away from a member-focused member lead organization to one focusing on promoting cycling generally and being led by selected talented people who aim to create a thrusting go ahead and forward-looking organization.

That might well have been the vision but has it been the reality?
If it has been the reality then i feel any benefits have passed me by.
To be fair I have always been an intermittent member but a definite not at all these last few years.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm objecting to a cycling club being stolen from under the noses of it's membership and turned into a business masquerading as a "charity".
I realise it's a contentious issue for some,but I can't see what it's achieved anymore than when it was member owned and run,for all the over inflated salaries being paid to it's top executives toeing a government line with a threat of losing their salaries if they don't!
There's also been much money spent on rebranding and repackaging.
It used to be a CYCLIST'S TOURING CLUB it's not that anymore and is the worse for it IMHO.
YVMV mine won't,it lost my membership when it was hijacked and became what it never was before.
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Apr 2020, 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

reohn2 wrote:I'm objecting to a cycling club being stolen from under the noses of it's membership and turned into a business masquerading as a "charity".
I realise it's a contentious issue for some,but I can't see what it's achieved anymore than when it was member owned and run,for all the over inflated salaries being paid to it's top executives toeing a government line with a threat of losing their salaries if they don't!
It used to be a CYCLE TOURING CLUB it's not that anymore and is the worse for it IMHO.
YVMV mine won't,it lost my membership when it was hijacked and became what it never was before.

You mean "Cyclists' Touring Club"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tinpotflowers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'm objecting to a cycling club being stolen from under the noses of it's membership and turned into a business masquerading as a "charity".
It used to be a CYCLE TOURING CLUB it's not that anymore and is the worse for it IMHO.

You mean "Cyclists' Touring Club"

That's the one do forgive my poor grammar,no amended :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

R2: What are the right noises and wrong noises? How could it lose charitable status?

I think some staff members have been there many years, under old and the new regimes
Whatabout the rspb? It has enormous power, wealth, influence
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:R2: What are the right noises and wrong noises? How could it lose charitable status?

The government under May's leadership :roll: issued a warning to the effect that charities receiving government grants or tax relief
making anti government noises would suffer the withdrawal of that funding and tax relief

I think some staff members have been there many years, under old and the new regimes

Undoubtably,and some were made redundant after many years of faithful service,it's superb technical officer Chris Juden was one of them!

Whatabout the rspb? It has enormous power, wealth, influence

What about checking what the RSPB has done for the protection of birds?
The RSPB is and always has been a true charity IMHO.
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It used to be a CYCLIST'S TOURING CLUB it's not that anymore and is the worse for it IMHO.

Sure, you preferred how it was in the past.

But it isn't like that now, like it or not.

So what's your specific objection to the advert for an interim CEO? It's not at all clear to me.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Sure, you preferred how it was in the past.

But it isn't like that now, like it or not.

So what's your specific objection to the advert for an interim CEO? It's not at all clear to me.

The amount of money being wasted on salaries for no appreciable gain for cycling,especially touring cycling and that IMHO the club was stolen from it's members.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Was there ever a splinter group - actual or proposed? (Just interested)
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Bonefishblues wrote:Was there ever a splinter group - actual or proposed? (Just interested)

viewtopic.php?t=33938

viewforum.php?f=38
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Obliged, will take a look
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seems a lot of money to me, whatever do others think?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies