Swimming, why? Why not?

Cyril Haearn

Re: Swimming, why? Why not?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:Cugel
I was thinking more of the OP's geographical position,which AFAIA is central Germany and given his some what nesh disposition wouldn't feel upto with lake or river swimming,though I could be wrong about that though.

Eastest Germany now, the pool is closed but there are rivers and lakes. But I am too careful to go wild swimming even in summer
+1 for 'Waterlog', read it years ago
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

T-800 wrote:I have a very good friend up in the Lake District and she's an open water swimmer.She swims in all weathers and swears by it.I have not yet,despite being a decent swimmer,been persuaded to join her.She Swim/walks too.She'll set off from a point,swim across a lake then go up into the Fells.She also favours Tarn swimming.I've paddled in some of the Mountain Tarns and even in Summer they're freezing!!!!

If I do swim it's in a nice warm indoor pool.

On that theme, I once watch two young ladies enter the water and swim the entire width of the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro, complete with the avoidance of a passing cruise ship. I was much impressed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4418563 ... 312!8i6656
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I used to swim a lot. Every day. Now pretty rarely. I'm quite risk averse in my dotage and therefore confused about the dangers of Chlorine. It does have some connection to a few cancers especially Bladder. Evidently the balance has to be right and pool attendants have to limit their time around the pool, as they are exposed to the gases that sit just above the surface. After all Chlorine Gas was a chemical warfare agent. I don't know if this is scaremongering and there is nothing to worry about but it does put me off regular swimming a bit. Do other members have a take on this?
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have not been swimming for many years, want to try it again
Does it go well with cycling?* Could one forget how to swim? I had a swimming campaign many years ago, did more each week, then I got muscle cramps
Whatabout temperature, whatabout diseases one might catch from the water?

* The pool is very near home, I can walk there :wink:

I enjoy my weekly swim at the local pool as part of my fitness regime. But I definitely wouldn't risk using the facility whilst the COVID 19 virus is raging. Chlorination and showers won't prevent infections being brought straight into the changing rooms as swimmers arrive straight from outside before showering. A pity but far too risky at present.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

T-800 wrote:I have a very good friend up in the Lake District and she's an open water swimmer.She swims in all weathers and swears by it.I have not yet,despite being a decent swimmer,been persuaded to join her.She Swim/walks too.She'll set off from a point,swim across a lake then go up into the Fells.She also favours Tarn swimming.I've paddled in some of the Mountain Tarns and even in Summer they're freezing!!!!

If I do swim it's in a nice warm indoor pool.

There is such a thing as natural advantage. IIRC women have a longer survival time (compared to men) in cold sea water. I used to think of the Ladies as being delicate (to be fair some are) but to be honest I’ve been amazed at the physically demanding things that some of them can do: never underestimate a determined woman or expect yourself to be hardier than them.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I would avoid cold water swimming at the moment. Cold water unless your immune system is tip top, is likely to play ping pong with it, thus leaving the body vulnerable to any infection.

I used to take long cold showers sometimes up to 12 minutes and literally could on occasion feel a chest infection begin to sprial within hours of the last shiver. On saying that cold thermogenesis is not without benefit if applied sensibly.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I am a regular swimmer and Spa Pool user. Where I live, we have a holiday park with pool and gymnasium open to non residents on a monthly membership scheme. I have just turned seventy and I'm reasonably cycling fit. I use the gym machines for working on everything above my waist, leaving my legs to my bike! Swimming and the Jaquzzi really helps to resolve any aches and pains due to fatigue and over use. This Covid 19 lock down has been an utter disaster for peope like me and I am finding it impossible to maintain my former good physical health. It will be months before pools re open by which time I will be much the worse.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

bigjim wrote:It does have some connection to a few cancers especially Bladder.

I don't think that there's any evidence of significant risk.

arnsider wrote:This Covid 19 lock down has been an utter disaster for peope like me and I am finding it impossible to maintain my former good physical health. It will be months before pools re open by which time I will be much the worse.

Yes, swimming is an exceptionally good form of exercise and it's much harder to lose both cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength than to gain them.

So what's second best for you? More cycling and add in something for your arm strength and general flexibility?

Jonathan

PS: After the badly-coordinated guidance and the new legislation the need for exercise was very quickly recognised, as were the risks for mental health and domestic abuse.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I have been out and about cycling since lock down commenced and have seen a significant increase in cyclists numbers in my area.
This is convincing evidence that most cyclists are sensible and have taken a view on restrictions.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bigjim wrote:I used to swim a lot. Every day. Now pretty rarely. I'm quite risk averse in my dotage and therefore confused about the dangers of Chlorine. It does have some connection to a few cancers especially Bladder. Evidently the balance has to be right and pool attendants have to limit their time around the pool, as they are exposed to the gases that sit just above the surface. After all Chlorine Gas was a chemical warfare agent. I don't know if this is scaremongering and there is nothing to worry about but it does put me off regular swimming a bit. Do other members have a take on this?

Salt chlorination is much nicer. We've a small pool in the garden - only about 11 metres long an dit uses salt chlorination. A catalyst converts some of te salt into chlorine and the two seem to work together. No chlorine type smell or stinging and the water isn't salty either. It works well. The pool is very enjoyable during this lock in.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Boris get our pools open!

Since retiring I've found a couple of kilometres a week in the pool is just the thing to help maintain lung function, upper body strength and suppleness. Pretty sure it has helped my riding and really miss it.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Read my thread on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=121775
Mick F. Cornwall
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

See it worked. We can go back into indoor pools in a fortnight.

PS Didn't know Boris was following this forum.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Enigmadick wrote:See it worked. We can go back into indoor pools in a fortnight.

PS Didn't know Boris was following this forum.

He is a passionate cyclist, I bet he is among us
Anonymously of course :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies