Voodoo Bizango bottom bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
danceswithcats

Voodoo Bizango bottom bracket

Post by danceswithcats »

I am buying a Voodoo Bizango from Halfords, to replace one that was stolen a few months ago.

The new model has a SRam 'Powerspline' internal bottom bracket https://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/models/bb-ps-a1. I suppose this is how they save money for the better gears and brakes, but I have been spoilt by external BBs, and want to change that as soon as I can afford. I just want to be clear that it is possible and won't make the purchase of a £650 bike, instead of a £1000 bike unreasonable.

I've looked up bottom bracket specifications https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/the-complete-guide-to-bottom-bracket-standards/ and am bewildered. I can't find any detailed specs sheets for the Bizango and the Halfords near me is on lowered staffing, with a car enthusiast doing the bike sales - he's a nice lad, but he knew less than me about bikes when I phoned, and said that their bike mechanic wouldn't be in until later this week.

So, I'd really appreciate any guidance on these three questions: 1) can all bikes be refitted with external bottom brackets, and 2) would anyone know what size and type of external BB I'd need? 3) Would I need to change the cranks and so on? The fitted internal BB is 73mm by 118mm. I'm guessing, from my reading, that the 73mm is the length of the tube through which the axle set up goes, from side-to-side of the bike. The 118mm: could that be the length of the rotating bit of the internal BB? It sounds about right, going by the picture on the Sram site: the extra length would be 45mm greater than the tube bit.

As you can probably guess, I'm not very good at the technical stuff.

Thanks in advance.
cycle tramp

Re: Voodoo Bizango bottom bracket

Post by cycle tramp »

danceswithcats wrote:
The new model has a SRam 'Powerspline' internal bottom bracket https://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/models/bb-ps-a1. I suppose this is how they save money for the better gears and brakes, but I have been spoilt by external BBs, and want to change that as soon as I can afford. I just want to be clear that it is possible and won't make the purchase of a £650 bike, instead of a £1000 bike unreasonable.

This is not the answer to you questions you have ask, but given the number of responses thus far it may afford some clarity of mind.....
....So just to recap, your looking to replace a set of bearings which live inside the bottom bracket casting for another set of bearings which live on the edges of the bottom bracket, but still do the same task?
....Personally, I wouldn't worry over my about it... and if we were being completely honest if you were sat blind folded on 6 bikes three of which had internal bearings and three of which had external bearings I would be rather surprised if you could be 100 % in telling the difference.....
My advice would be to borrow a friends bicycle fitted with an internal bottom bracket to see if you could notice any difference. The chances are that the weather, how other road users treated you, the route you took and the destination would all play a more significant factor in the enjoyment of the journey, rather than how the bearings were interfaces with the frame...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

danceswithcats wrote:. ......So, I'd really appreciate any guidance on these three questions: 1) can all bikes be refitted with external bottom brackets, and 2) would anyone know what size and type of external BB I'd need? 3) Would I need to change the cranks and so on? The fitted internal BB is 73mm by 118mm. I'm guessing, from my reading, that the 73mm is the length of the tube through which the axle set up goes, from side-to-side of the bike. The 118mm: could that be the length of the rotating bit of the internal BB? It sounds about right, going by the picture on the Sram site: the extra length would be 45mm greater than the tube bit..

1) all bikes with thread BB's (the Bizango is threaded)
2)the BB would have to match a particular crankset type
3)yes you would need to change the cranks to change to fit an external BB.
73mm is the length of the BB shell(frame tube in which the BB bearings fit).
118mm is the BB axle length for the particular crankset fitted.

I agree with cycle tramp,ride the bike until the bearings wear out then decide what to do.You won't notice any difference between the two
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I agree with the above responses. I have the previous version of the Bizango (double chainrings) which also has a 73mm threaded BB shell and a BB bearing fitted internally. As you probably found out from riding the previous model, the Bizango is a great bike for the price. Don't worry about the BB. Just ride it. Save your money. You may want to experiment with different tyres. But the Ardents that come with it are fine for most mixed/XC riding. I fitted DHR/DHFs for more looser surfaces.
danceswithcats

Post by danceswithcats »

Thank you, Cycle Tramp, reohn2 and LInusR. I'll take your advice. The last time I had an internal bottom bracket was on the first bike I rode as an adult - a Mongoose Rockadile, which was great value at £200! The memory of it failing is stronger than the memory of it working effectively, so has created an aversion.
LinusR, my Bizango was the year before yours, with a triple, but was a beauty of a bike. It was my first 29er - I've got an old Stumpjumper full suspension, and a hybrid, but the Isle of Wight roads had become too nasty a few years back for road wheels in the dark (they've got better since) and a 26" wheel made my commute, trailing a load of folders and laptops on a single-wheel trailer, really hard work. I didn't expect too much from a Halfords bike, but I loved that Bizango. It pulled the trailer easily, even when it was overloaded and, without the trailer, it was a proper mountain bike. I did the Tennyson Trail on it one Saturday last summer and, although it wasn't quite as comfortable as the Stumpjumper, I really enjoyed the day's riding.
I forgot to bring it in one night, we were away for the weekend, and it had gone by the time we got back. This is a very safe place to live, with very low crime, but there is an opportunist thief somewhere in the Cowes/East Cowes area. He's had quite a few bikes over the years and the Island police, even given their 'see no evil' attitude to crime generally, are remarkably blasé about bike theft. Vexing. I'm insuring this one.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

danceswithcats wrote:Thank you, Cycle Tramp, reohn2 and LInusR. I'll take your advice. The last time I had an internal bottom bracket was on the first bike I rode as an adult - a Mongoose Rockadile, which was great value at £200! The memory of it failing is stronger than the memory of it working effectively, so has created an aversion.
LinusR, my Bizango was the year before yours, with a triple, but was a beauty of a bike. It was my first 29er - I've got an old Stumpjumper full suspension, and a hybrid, but the Isle of Wight roads had become too nasty a few years back for road wheels in the dark (they've got better since) and a 26" wheel made my commute, trailing a load of folders and laptops on a single-wheel trailer, really hard work. I didn't expect too much from a Halfords bike, but I loved that Bizango. It pulled the trailer easily, even when it was overloaded and, without the trailer, it was a proper mountain bike. I did the Tennyson Trail on it one Saturday last summer and, although it wasn't quite as comfortable as the Stumpjumper, I really enjoyed the day's riding.
I forgot to bring it in one night, we were away for the weekend, and it had gone by the time we got back. This is a very safe place to live, with very low crime, but there is an opportunist thief somewhere in the Cowes/East Cowes area. He's had quite a few bikes over the years and the Island police, even given their 'see no evil' attitude to crime generally, are remarkably blasé about bike theft. Vexing. I'm insuring this one.

Next time I'm on IoW I must try the Tennyson Trail. I've ridden the road route around the island but not been off-road. Maybe some stealth camping in a bivvi one summer would be a good idea.
danceswithcats

Post by danceswithcats »

Next time I'm on IoW I must try the Tennyson Trail. I've ridden the road route around the island but not been off-road. Maybe some stealth camping in a bivvi one summer would be a good idea.

If you do, give me a shout. Tea at the Freshwater Hotel and then back. A lovely day!
There is a folder of pictures from ten years ago, when I rode it one beautiful Saturday, here: https://cloudi.dwccloud.uk/index.php/s/dNbXeFWmP3QZF3T
The Island is great for off-road mooching - we've even got an 'Island mountain biking centre' now! https://www.isleofwightmountainbikecentre.com/ The Eastern end of the Island has a load of beautiful downs with some amazing climbs and descents. I don't go over that way as much now, because we've moved to East Cowes and the South, which is even more beautiful, is an easy ride, but I used to pootle around the bridlepaths between Brading, Shanklin and Ventnor a lot. Pics here: https://cloudi.dwccloud.uk/index.php/s/sk6DoXYdqqS6Hga and here: https://cloudi.dwccloud.uk/index.php/s/Z5XSKwozt43ZzXR
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

danceswithcats wrote:

If you do, give me a shout. Tea at the Freshwater Hotel and then back. A lovely day!
There is a folder of pictures from ten years ago, when I rode it one beautiful Saturday, here: https://cloudi.dwccloud.uk/index.php/s/dNbXeFWmP3QZF3T
The Island is great for off-road mooching - we've even got an 'Island mountain biking centre' now! https://www.isleofwightmountainbikecentre.com/ The Eastern end of the Island has a load of beautiful downs with some amazing climbs and descents. I don't go over that way as much now, because we've moved to East Cowes and the South, which is even more beautiful, is an easy ride, but I used to pootle around the bridlepaths between Brading, Shanklin and Ventnor a lot. Pics here: https://cloudi.dwccloud.uk/index.php/s/sk6DoXYdqqS6Hga and here: https://cloudi.dwccloud.uk/index.php/s/Z5XSKwozt43ZzXR

I'll give the MTB centre a miss but those photos of the bridleways are my kind of terrain.
Garyed6

Post by Garyed6 »

Hi
I’ve just read your thread and I may be late to the party, but the bottom bracket is a truvityv power spline 118 x 73 63e. My crank is wobbly so I’ve taken it out to be replaced. Hope this helps.
Attachments
1246563A-C88D-4DBB-A749-01655AFFAAFC.jpeg
F7F40264-AFE6-4A2F-AFDF-B51969E600A5.jpeg
077F2FE5-EEFB-4E6A-BC1B-FDD5BD2651EE.jpeg
E912FB61-5BF2-4D28-B025-6F4B3C739CDB.jpeg
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Without knowing your own reasons and[i][/i] any known defects with the BB fitted I would be leaving the original in place. It loss as if you don't want to change chainset/BB type so why go from a more reliable type to something with less life?
Increased stiffness may be a reason but I can't think of any other.
Nickf1

Post by Nickf1 »

I thought this would be a good place to start without starting a new thread. I have a Bizango frame I want to build up. It has no cranks. And the bottom bracket sounds rough and noisy just spinning. Obviously it has dried out and As far as I have read there is no way to service it. I would like to go to a 1x10 or a 1x11 I have a set of more torsion downhill wheels from another build left. I’m happy for external or internal bracket and a set of cranks that will match. What would the experts recommend. This is my first full build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.