Is cycling for a 71 year old legal?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Is cycling for a 71 year old legal?

Post by horizon »

I've been asked by an older relative about their doing a little cycling (which is great :) ) but they tell me they are unsure whether they are obliged by law to stay indoors. I've looked at the Act and it doesn't say so, so I assume they are not required (merely advised) to do so.

Am I right? I've Googled and Googled but don't seem to be able to find the answer.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020 ... 350_en.pdf
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mattsccm

Re: Is cycling for a 71 year old legal?

Post by mattsccm »

Seriously doubt it. After all many people have to shop. I know quite a few who do. Millions of elderly out round here.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mattsccm wrote:Seriously doubt it. After all many people have to shop. I know quite a few who do. Millions of elderly out round here.

I am in my 71st year and cycle every other day.
John
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Since there are some very sick minded people who keep saying there's no crisis because "they would have died anyway", if you're 71 and not dead you might as well enjoy doing whatever brings you pleasure and keeps you fit.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Seriously doubt it. After all many people have to shop. I know quite a few who do. Millions of elderly out round here.

I am in my 71st year and cycle every other day.

There is no ban on old people going out. There is strong advice to "isolate", but the details of how you do that will vary according to circumstances. The crucial thing is to avoid close proximity to others outside your household (even relatives), and to avoid touching surfaces that others may have touched or coughed over. Mostly you can do that by staying in your home and garden, but with care you might venture out. Just take care.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

The govt advice is based on evidence that once people are past 70 in general their susceptibility to the virus goes up sharply, especially where there are underlying medical conditions, so the safest thing is to stay indoors.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
horizon

Post by horizon »

rmurphy195 wrote:The govt advice is based on evidence that once people are past 70 in general their susceptibility to the virus goes up sharply, especially where there are underlying medical conditions, so the safest thing is to stay indoors.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't so much worried (or at least this particular relative isn't) about the susceptibility/risk/virus etc as the legality. As this thread shows, it's quite hard to find a definitive answer. But it is I take it just advice not a legal requirement?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/. Its worth exploring this site, many of the media types on the daily briefing don't seem to know of its existence, oddly!

My understanding is that older people are more at risk of being severely affected by the disease if they catch it, and are more likely to die of it.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
David9694

Post by David9694 »

In my lock-down life, I assume the trip around our village supermarket is by far the episode most likely to injure my health.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In my late 70s cycle alone in deserted countryside, I shop masked carefully distancing. I walk. I am convinced that if I am very careful I will avoid the virus, and, if I keep very fit my immune system has a better chance of protecting me. If my lungs are strong that will help too. If I avoid obesity that is good. I realise my age means that I am potentially more vulnerable but I believe that vulnerability actually depends on the poor physical condition of many older people rather than age alone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I believe that vulnerability actually depends on the poor physical condition of many older people rather than age alone.

+1

At 84 with health issues my only outings are bike rides around 40 miles in quiet lanes, No interaction with anyone.

Our daughters do our shopping so remaining indoors is no problem and I don't think that I am putting myself at a heightened risk. The chance of an accident is no greater than at other times, probably lower as there is less traffic and I am riding more cautiously.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

horizon wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:The govt advice is based on evidence that once people are past 70 in general their susceptibility to the virus goes up sharply, especially where there are underlying medical conditions, so the safest thing is to stay indoors.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't so much worried (or at least this particular relative isn't) about the susceptibility/risk/virus etc as the legality. As this thread shows, it's quite hard to find a definitive answer. But it is I take it just advice not a legal requirement?

The UK government's definitive answer is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ble-adults

It is not a legal requirement. It is advice.

The list of things that over-70s are advised to do by the government is the same as the list of things that under-70s are advised to do. The difference is that over-70s are "strongly" advised, rather than just advised. From the above link:

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:

• aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
((followed by a list of people with various medical conditions))

We strongly advise you to follow the above measures as much as you can and to significantly limit your face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly if you:

• are over 70
  • have an underlying health condition
  • are pregnant

Further down there's advice that applies to everyone:
There are simple things you can do that may help, to stay mentally and physically active during this time such as:

• look for ideas of exercises you can do at home on the NHS website
  • spend time doing things you enjoy – this might include reading, cooking, other indoor hobbies or listening to the radio or watching TV programmes
  • try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, drink enough water and try to avoid smoking, alcohol and drugs
  • keep your windows open to let in fresh air, get some natural sunlight if you can, or get outside into the garden
You can also go for a walk or exercise outdoors if you stay more than 2 metres from others. ((my emphasis))

Bear in mind also that contrary to popular myth, the government advice does not set a maximum time or distance limit on exercise. (Except in Wales.)

The "do not leave your house" advice appears in a different document aimed at those who are "clinically extremely vulnerable". Just being over 70 puts you into the "vulnerable" category, but not "extremely vulnerable" unless you have one of a number of specific medical conditions. See https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... m-covid-19.
pga

Post by pga »

The present situation is quite clear. You can cycle or walk whatever your age. This is important to keep fit both physically and mentally. This builds up the immune system to fight illness.

However there is a threat on the horizon - the fear of over 70's being forced to stay indoors at all times while the rest of population are allowed a relaxation on the current advice. This would be clearly discrimination and an infringement of human rights. However our decision makers are all London based and what goes in London does not apply elsewhere. Do there is the fear that the overcrowding in London is seen as the model for future advice.

The Milton Keynes Cycling Forum, representing all cycling clubs and organisations in the city, has started a campaign to keep over 70's still cycling. Perhaps,some of you may take up the campaign as well. If we do not express our views we will have no one to blame but ourselves if a ban come in. All it needs is a polite email to the local MP. Thanks.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

At 84 with health issues my only outings are bike rides around 40 miles in quiet lanes, No interaction with anyone.

40 miles - chapeau!

Mike (1942 model)
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:

Correct. My Mum is 85 and because she lives in a quiet street she goes for a short walk in the morning if the weather is okay. Only a few hundred metres but enough to feel she has been out. But we have lectured her on social distancing and (I think) she is being careful about it. We still visit her, taking her groceries and attending to other things, but we don't get close and don't enter the house. We will sit in the garden with her, at a distance and not touching stuff.

The law for a 70+ person is the same as for any adult. If it were me, I would be going out for rides but taking care with the distancing, not touching stuff, and hand washing. It is all about managing risks.