OK - JOGLE September 2020 it is!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
1982john

Re: OK - JOGLE September 2020 it is!

Post by 1982john »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
1982john wrote:As long as no one's in the at risk category I think September is going to be ok.

Look at other countries that are a little ahead of us. They are coming out of lockdowns and plan to have tourism by mid July.

This is good news.
I've not been able to find anything to confirm your thoughts.
What did you view?
Looking forward to those French back roads and the Black Forrest.

Well I kind of meant tourism within your own borders (such lejog)

It's going to be trickier to see what's going to happen with foreign tourism at the moment. But they are planning the TdeF in late august so who knows.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Many thanks. I appreciate your comments.
Yes, I may have to do a Scottish end to end again. I'm in Aberdeen and can take the ferry to Shetland and then down through the Western Isles to Mull of Galloway.
I did it ,5 years ago.
Good weather made it fantastic.
Wet weather up here is #@*#@!
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Sadly I think this will have to be postponed.
Unless there is a vaccine which is 100% by September the risk of B&B is far too high.
No sense in getting infected, nor of my support driver catching Covid-19 either.

Perhaps 2021?
Although 2022 is looking more likely with the predictions of the pandemic lasting 18 months to 2 years.

We postponed out May 2020 LEJOG. We are looking at September 2020 but unless the cafes, pubs etc are open then we will wait until May 2021. None of us are in the "at risk" category. It's supposed to be a holiday and sitting in my B&B bedroom in the evening eating a Co-op sandwich doesn't sound like much fun. Of course if group exercise is still prohibited in September it knocks it on the head anyway
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If you can get a B&B you'll get a pub. But I suspect you'll get neither by September.

It's not so much as you not being at risk but more that you might unknowingly pick the thing up and inadvertently share it.
John
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Oldjohnw wrote:If you can get a B&B you'll get a pub. But I suspect you'll get neither by September.

It's not so much as you not being at risk but more that you might unknowingly pick the thing up and inadvertently share it.

I think stuff will open a fair bit earlier than September but they will have to maintain social distancing which could mean much higher prices as they need to limit numbers.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

1982john wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:If the "at risk" you refer to is anyone who qualifies for the flu jab, then we are both at risk.

There is also the arbitrary figure of aged 70 years.
Given that the aim is to end on or near my 70th Birthday that is another risk factor to be taken into consideration.
They are even talking at the moment of banning over 70s from leaving the home.
However I may leave my age related documents at home, and see if they decide to age check everyone who is outside.

Hmmm.....will the supermarket cashier refuse to serve you alcohol if you are under 18 or over 70?
Be strange to be IDd for being too old not too young.

Anyway, we are hoping to avoid catching Covid-19 until there is a treatment or a vaccine.
Without a lock down or serious social distancing (which may be difficult in hotels and B&Bs) the risk of infection is high.
Estimates of current infections are useless, but if we guess at 10% to 15% of the country then there are still an awful lot of unprotected people to catch and spread the disease if we start moving around again.

You're at the at-risk group if you've had a text from the government. It's about 1.2 million people - my mum had one.

For sure though being around 70 and a bloke puts you in a higher than most risk. So you will have to decide for yourself how you want to spend the next 12 - 18 months before a vaccine to comes in.

One option might be getting a caravan? Then you only need food supplies every few days....

With much respect, one thing that really grinds my gears (puts sand in my jock strap etc.) is well meaning advice from people who haven't checked what your personal situation is.

It so happens that we do have a caravan.

However at 2 tonnes fully laden and 8 metres long my support driver is not comfortable with towing it, especially over narrow roads in the North of Scotland.
I am the designated driver, agreed before we bought the caravan.
It is also non-trivial to move a large caravan each day.
Shall we skip over the problems with grass sites in wet weather? Yes we do tow with a 4*4.
Before you suggest ( :lol: ) we sold the Motor Home to buy the caravan because we were staying in one place for a week or more and hiring a car to get about.
If we look back to the camper van we had before the MH (we traded up for a lot more room and comfort - those folding up rear seat beds were doing my back in) then the VW HiTop would have done the job.
But that was long ago, and in another country, and besides......

Realistically it doesn't seem economically sensible to buy a small van based camper purely as a support vehicle for a JOGLE.
So hotel/B&B it is.

And there's a hole in my bucket..... :lol:

Oh, and the text from the Government is for the approximately (IIRC) 1.1 million very high risk. That is, with serious comorbidities.
That is COPD, heart problems, major asthma, transplant patients - that kind of thing.
Those at higher risk are classified as anyone who qualifies for a flu injection which covers a much greater range.
Usually from age or some chronic disease which isn't as serious at the very high risk ones.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-should-have-flu-vaccine/
There looks to be some overlap with those at very high risk, e.g. COPD and asthma.
However anyone 65 or over is included.
So we plan to stay at home and stay safe(ish) until there are no more infections or/and there is a vaccine.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Not sure where you got that information about the flu jab from?

Nothing here about it:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ronavirus/

Even I 'qualify' for the flu jab.. it's a very wide group.

Ultimately, as I said before, everyone (outside of the million or so who got text messages) will have to decide the risk for themselves.

A widely available vaccine could be 18 months away yet for those under 70 the fatality rate is less than 0.1%.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

1982john wrote:Not sure where you got that information about the flu jab from?

Nothing here about it:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ronavirus/

Even I 'qualify' for the flu jab.. it's a very wide group.

Ultimately, as I said before, everyone (outside of the million or so who got text messages) will have to decide the risk for themselves.

A widely available vaccine could be 18 months away yet for those under 70 the fatality rate is less than 0.1%.

It was on a Government site, not an NHS one.
I will see if I can find it.
The link does show the difference between high risk and very high risk.
You only get the letter if you are at very high risk.

Edit: all is confusion.
https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list
talks of moderate risk and high risk.
Moderate risk being anyone who qualifies for flu jab.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-top-medic-warns-anyone-21708701
says "Britons who get the annual winter flu jab fall into the government’s “high risk” category and should self-isolate, a top medic warns.".
Disclaimer, it is the Mirror.

I know this was mentioned in a Government web page but my search skills are letting me down.

Edit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults
Posted elsewhere but this is the one I was thinking of with the flu jab reference.
Last edited by LittleGreyCat on 29 Apr 2020, 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
McSuggy

Post by McSuggy »

Hi

After 7 years of putting it off and making excuses up I was, finally, due to start my JOGLE this weekend, but have obviously had to postpone.

It has made me re-think my route after reading more and more posts regarding the A82. I did try and look for a route from Fort Augustus cross country to Dalwhinnie, but could only find General Wade's Military Road/gravel path, so now instead of trying to sneak a peek at Nessie, I'm going via Aviemore.

Stay safe everyone. :)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I cycled about 10 miles down the A82 from Inverness towards Drumnadrochit last Sunday.

Absolutely beautiful, didn't see one car.

Long may this Earth shattering peace continue!!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Are quiet roads all you're bothered about in these terrible times?
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

McSuggy wrote:Hi

After 7 years of putting it off and making excuses up I was, finally, due to start my JOGLE this weekend, but have obviously had to postpone.

It has made me re-think my route after reading more and more posts regarding the A82. I did try and look for a route from Fort Augustus cross country to Dalwhinnie, but could only find General Wade's Military Road/gravel path, so now instead of trying to sneak a peek at Nessie, I'm going via Aviemore.

Stay safe everyone. :)

We travelled from Inverness to Fort Augustus via the south side of the loch, through Lyne of Gorthleck, then a mix of the canal path, a bit of road and the old mining railway cycle path to Oban, then down the A816/A83 to Claonaig where we caught the ferry to Arran.

I’ll dig out the route tonight & post it up, neither of us particularly wanted to ride busy roads so the route was as quiet as I could practically make it.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Are quiet roads all you're bothered about in these terrible times?

I try not to get too bothered about anything to tell you the truth. Perspective is a great thing. Live and let live.

Drama queens sometimes bother me, though not that much!!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

10 miles? Was it worth going out!!
mjr

Post by mjr »

philvantwo wrote:10 miles? Was it worth going out!!

3e5010605113e6c136968acf6722d80b046024664edccc8f5bf681964bdeb812.jpg
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.