What will we look back on from the COVID crisis: Positive, Amusing, Frustrating

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: What will we look back on from the COVID crisis: Positive, Amusing, Frustrating

Post by Mike Sales »

Nae Fitba!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vitara

Re: What will we look back on from the COVID crisis: Positive, Amusing, Frustrating

Post by Vitara »

Amusing:

The best way to encourage the general population to take regular daily exercise is to tell them they can't go out because there is a risk they may catch a life threatening disease.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Transformational.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I think that if I was a small business owner I would say 'ruin'. As a retiree I can say peace, although not without worry.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Interesting question. One, I don't think we'll be able to 'look back on' the C19 crisis for some time yet. As of today, we simply have no clear idea what's going to happen next. Two, it's going to have a fundamental impact on our economy - already has! - and one of the most obvious impacts will be on the way we all pay tax. The colossal amounts of money already spent by the the gov. will have to be replaced. Watch for VAT to rocket, for instance... Three, although there is much talk of 'things never being the same', I confidently predict that once the pesky little fellow stops killing people in unaccaptable * numbers, things will indeed go back to exactly how they were before.
* if it stays with us, and no vaccine or treatment is found for some while, we may have to get used to that number...
Note that in the exert below, reference is made to '18-24 months'.
3 possible scenarios...
3 possible scenarios...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The end of sucking up to the Chinese?

Towards the end of last month the Australian government started calling for an international, independent inquiry into the origins of Covid-19. This followed intelligence leaks suggesting that the virus may have originated in a laboratory in Wuhan rather than one of the city’s famously delicious wet markets. The Chinese response was textbook. The country’s ambassador to Australia warned the Australian Financial Review that the Chinese public (there they go again) were ‘frustrated, dismayed and disappointed with what you are doing now. I.....The editor of the state-run Global Times, Hu Xijin, was less diplomatic. Hu took to Weibo (China’s answer to Twitter) to describe Australia as a piece of ‘chewing gum stuck on the sole of China’s shoes’. He went on: ‘Sometimes you have to find a stone to rub it off.’ As Britain learned in 2012, the stone that China uses to get rid of us pieces of chewing gum is a familiar one. It involves the full litany of investment threats. And it includes claims — issued from its embassies worldwide — that all criticism of the CCP is motivated by ‘racism’.........It isn’t healthy to have your officials lick another country’s shoes. Or be told that you’re chewing gum on the bottom of them. We need to find a way out of this relationship — one that we all know turned abusive years ago.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/hugging-china-hasnt-done-us-any-favours?

Why oh why we let a totalitarian country have such an influence in the West I dont know. Trump is wrong on most things but this isnt one of them?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:The end of sucking up to the Chinese?

Why oh why we let a totalitarian country have such an influence in the West I dont know. Trump is wrong on most things but this isnt one of them?

Money and realpolitik will come first, as ever.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Why oh why we let a totalitarian country have such an influence in the West I dont know.
'Cos they make our stuff... Jobs talked to Obama about making iProducts back in the USA - gist of conversation was that it couldn't realistically be done... they're better at it. Go figure.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

simonineaston wrote:
Why oh why we let a totalitarian country have such an influence in the West I dont know.
'Cos they make our stuff... Jobs talked to Obama about making iProducts back in the USA - gist of conversation was that it couldn't realistically be done... they're better at it. Go figure.

there are other uneducated/cheap labour source countries to exploit?