Real names

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Real names

Post by philvantwo »

I worked with a chap on and off for a number of years and I was informed he passed away a couple of weeks ago, the funeral was last Thursday and there was a website you could log into to watch the service.
All those years and I always knew him as Colin, turns out that was his middle name as he didn't like his first name which was Derek!
Is there anybody on the forum who's done this?
wirral_cyclist

Re: Real names

Post by wirral_cyclist »

It's pretty much compulsory for most North Walians I know to use their middle name as their forename is the same as their dad - back generations.
If you're going to always use the middle name it might as well be your forename and dad can have the middle slot.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Didn't know that! Ooooh mick f was born up there, I wonder if mick is his middle name?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sigh ................

Said it before.
Come on Phil, keep up! :D

I'm a Stephen Michael.
Always been known as Michael ........ but .....

I remember being in the school playground - aged maybe 10 - and hearing someone referring to me as Mick.
Never considered myself as Mick, and no-one in the family has ever - even now - called me Mick ............. but I've been Mick ever since to anyone who knows me, professionally and socially, and I introduce myself to anyone - even people in power and/or authority - as Mick.
Mrs Mick F knows me as Mick. She met me as Mick, and been married for 46 years as Mick.
I am Mick, and not or never Stephen!

Mrs Mick F's father was a Allan Roy.
No-one in the whole world knew him as Allen.
He was Roy to everyone.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

My father had the Irish name Liam but was known to a lot of people as Bill because the English equivalent of Liam is William, and when he first came to Britain in the 1950s he wanted to fit in. When he returned to Ireland he became Liam again. But then at the age of about 70 he got hold of a copy of his long lost birth certificate which he had never seen and he was down on it as William! He had always thought his official name was Liam.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

philvantwo wrote:I worked with a chap on and off for a number of years and I was informed he passed away a couple of weeks ago, the funeral was last Thursday and there was a website you could log into to watch the service.
All those years and I always knew him as Colin, turns out that was his middle name as he didn't like his first name which was Derek!
Is there anybody on the forum who's done this?

Wot, "passed away, thus revealing their real name"? How can they tell you? :-)

Where did this bit of cloying euphemism come from, btw? What's wrong with, died"; "is now dead" or something less obscure concerning the ceasing-to-be-alive? Where does what pass to and why is it away rather than here? I think we should be told!

Cugel, just passing by the forum.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Boris isn't Boris.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

A few times over the years I've met people (always men) who have a nickname which is used by everyone. The only person you might hear using their proper name is their wife or possibly their mother and it's slightly confusing when they do because you don't recognise who they're talking about for a second or two.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, My late father was Francis Clifford, never answered to Francis, Frank, in fact he only responded to either Clifford or Cliff.
When approaching my parents 60th Wedding Anniversary I contacted Buck House for the Queen's Tele Message for them. Full details sent, including copy of Marriage Lines.
They replied to me saying that a message would be sent to Francis & Margaret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoa, contacting them they agreed to amend to Clifford & Margaret. Phew.
They got a second message for their 65th, no prompting required that time. MM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:Boris isn't Boris.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I had a Goldfish named Derek...

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

XTC sang 'Making Pluns for Nigel'

'We couldnae have sung about a Colin or a Graham', explained Colin M of the group :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:XTC sang 'Making Pluns for Nigel'

'We couldnae have sung about a Colin or a Graham', explained Colin M of the group :wink:

What's with the 'couldnae' bit? They were (are?) from Swindon.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:XTC sang 'Making Pluns for Nigel'

What's with the 'couldnae' bit? They were (are?) from Swindon.

Whatabout the spell corrector, plans, Plus, plums, puns? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

two people I know well:
* John Derek, always known as Derek, or D
* Ivor James - known to one and all as Ivor, up until his mid forties, when he suddenly switched to James... but only at work - family & friends stuck with Ivor.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)