Corona ride mishaps

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fastpedaller

Re: Corona ride mishaps

Post by fastpedaller »

peetee wrote:
Manc33 wrote:
There's only one chain tool I have used in my lifetime that's never failed (and has been used over and over again for probably 2 decades) and that's the old hexagonal shaped Cyclo one:

I find it very amusing to see immaculately presented Park Tool workshop storage walls in online videos and websites as if they are indispensable and one cannot function without them. My experience of their kit is not good. Cyclo tools, on the other hand, I rate highly. In the 35 years I have been building and fixing bikes I have never had a Cyclo tool fail me. Some have been bought to replace other brands that wore down or broke but others, such as the headset and BB spanners have been with me the whole time. It’s a brand that isn’t praised as often as it should be IMHO.

I did have a problem with the hardened pin falling out of my old Cyclo chain tool - I eventually lost it. Good tools though - my experience was, I suspect, a one off :(
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

fastpedaller wrote:
peetee wrote:
Manc33 wrote:
There's only one chain tool I have used in my lifetime that's never failed (and has been used over and over again for probably 2 decades) and that's the old hexagonal shaped Cyclo one:

I did have a problem with the hardened pin falling out of my old Cyclo chain tool - I eventually lost it. Good tools though - my experience was, I suspect, a one off :(

I've had the same problem too, with the pin falling out. Replacements can be purchased.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-repl ... l-pin-ctp/

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fastpedaller wrote:..

I had that problem too, why is it not fastened properly? Likewise with the number of turns, one has to adjust several times
Altogether easy to use, mind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Post by peetee »

The one I have has a reversible pin.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

peetee wrote:The one I have has a reversible pin.

Mine too maybe, I just thought it was loose :wink:
Are the ends different sizes?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

A very real and painful injury, just getting on my bike!!
I've outlined this in the technical forum, but it's so easy to hurt yourself whether out walking, cycling or doing any activity and whatever we say to justify riding throughout the crisis, accidents will happen.
I narrowly missed a trip to casualty for an Xray.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I’d done some shopping yesterday. Put a four pack of cans of Old Speckled Hen in the bottom of my Carradice A4 pannier. Other shopping, usual tool roll and pump on top and around. Got home, wondered why there was a wet patch on the ground. Smelled beer.

Emptied the pannier, then tipped out the beer in the bottom. At some point I’d gone over a bump and the hook to hold the tube on my pump had punched a neat hole into one of the beer cans... I must have left a small trail all the way home, as the Can was empty.

Carradice cotton duck is pretty much beer-proof as well as waterproof, I can now report! Had to empty a layer of beer out of the bottom of the bag, rinse the bag out, wash pretty much everything that had been in there... Have febrezed it, and it *still* smells of beer!

Ah well, beer kind of goes with the Carradice vibe, doesn’t it? :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

foxyrider wrote: has anyone actually had a mechanical (not a puncture) whilst out under restrictions, that couldn't be fixed with what they had with them? If so, how did you/they get home?

No problems experienced, so far :)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

arnsider wrote:A very real and painful injury, just getting on my bike!!
I've outlined this in the technical forum, but it's so easy to hurt yourself whether out walking, cycling or doing any activity and whatever we say to justify riding throughout the crisis, accidents will happen.

but you could have done the same at any time, even just sitting on the bike to check an adjustment.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

arnsider wrote:I narrowly missed a trip to casualty for an Xray.

And from two other threads you think you might have a fractured femur and a fractured pelvis.

If you haven't yet sought medical advice I'd advise you to.

Jonathan
nigel8322

Post by nigel8322 »

I think the 'cycling is risky, you might hurt yourself' reason not to cycle rather misses the point. Deaths and serious injuries per hour are about the same as cycling when you are walking and about 50% higher when gardening. Of course it depends on the type and location of your walking, gardening and cycling! Much of the comments and advice are ill informed. Just being sensible, not pushing it and being thoughtful and friendly to other road users is probably as safe a message as any.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Manc33 wrote:There's only one chain tool I have used in my lifetime that's never failed (and has been used over and over again for probably 2 decades) and that's the old hexagonal shaped Cyclo one:

I had one from the 1960s right through to post millennium when it came into contact with Campag 9sp ........... then it broke.
Bought a Park to replace it.
https://www.parktool.com/product/mini-c ... gory=Chain
Works perfectly even for Campag 10sp.

The Cyclo one would never have stood a chance with Campag 10sp.
Cyclo was a cast alu bodied one and couldn't stand the strain. Park is steel.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

foxyrider wrote:
arnsider wrote:A very real and painful injury, just getting on my bike!!

but you could have done the same at any time, even just sitting on the bike to check an adjustment.

Queen guitarist Brian May has just injured his backside in a way that required a scan, and he did it gardening. That is and always has been a statistically risky activity but nobody has suggested stopping it until the pandemic is over.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Lost my pump climbing over a five bar gate.

Don't know if that counts as a mishap.
Certainly unfortunate.It was only a valley and a half later that I noticed and despite retracing my wheeltracks, when I got back to the gate...no pump. Fortunately no punctures ensued.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Surprised to read on this thread of someone calling for assistance for a broken chain when only 8 miles from home. For one thing that's walking distance, at a pinch. And for any problems that don't involve an unusable wheel, you can average 7-8 mph just by scooting the bike along with your feet (you may need to lower your seat a bit).