Raleigh RSP Travelogue 708

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Raleigh RSP Travelogue 708

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Attachments
img001.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
img002.jpg

img003.jpg

img004.jpg

img005.jpg

img006.jpg
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

IMG_20190506_084656.jpg
IMG_20190829_163706.jpg

This is my 1997 Raleigh Ranndoneur with the 708 frame when I did the Morecambe Bay Cycle way, i have since put flat bars on it, increasingly not liking drop bars as I get older.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Nice one: thanks for sharing.

Always good to see the original catalogue/information/primary source documentation.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
markjohnobrien wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Nice one: thanks for sharing.

Always good to see the original catalogue/information/primary source documentation.

Found several links recently and blow if I can find them now, raleigh catalogs in pdf?

There does not appear to be one universal site for raleighs catalogs?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Retro bike forum has a few, mainly Dynatech and MTB.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

3speednut wrote:IMG_20190506_084656.jpgIMG_20190829_163706.jpg
This is my 1997 Raleigh Ranndoneur with the 708 frame when I did the Morecambe Bay Cycle way, i have since put flat bars on it, increasingly not liking drop bars as I get older.

Very nice: I love the colour.

On all of the RSP’s bikes, I find the paintwork is of a higher quality than many modern bikes and lots more durable with a harder finish. This softer paintwork on some bikes, I’ve read was due to EU regulations removing certain chemicals from paint.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

markjohnobrien wrote:On all of the RSP’s bikes, I find the paintwork is of a higher quality than many modern bikes and lots more durable with a harder finish. This softer paintwork on some bikes, I’ve read was due to EU regulations removing certain chemicals from paint.

Yes, the paint on my old ridgebacks is vastly superior to that on my newer bikes. I too understood that it was because of safety regs. Anyone know what these evil substances were? Couldn't the production staff be protected from them?
Sweep
peetee

Post by peetee »

I believe the changes were due to national and international environmental concerns rather than Health and Safety measures.
The paint on my Raleigh 708 is thin but incredibly tough. It will scratch rather than chip. The edges of the damage are not brittle and corrosion doesn’t creep and lift the paint.
So many modern paint finishes have a thick, toffee-apple-like consistency which I do not like. If the days of the thin, durable, lug-compatible paint job are over it’s a very sad thing.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I agree: if it is the case, it is a very sad thing. But, it makes me like my Raleigh’s (or Ridgebacks for other people) even more.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Peetee- your comment about how corrosion doesn’t creep or lift the edges (or rather the paint is resistant to this) is very interesting as I believe Raleigh were one of the first cycle manufacturers to invest in zinc phosphate dipping of their frames (as happens to car bodies). Maybe this, in addition, to the excellent paint helps.
Randonneur1

Post by Randonneur1 »

I have a third generation Randonneur 708. Does anyone know the name of the blue paint and/or where can I obtain some for touch up purposes?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Good to hear you’ve got one of the nice blue ones.

Raleigh Special Products would have once held stock of the paint but they closed down 20 years ago and Raleigh moved all of their manufacturing off shore (Taiwan, Vietnam, China, etc).

Best bet is to take the bike into a Halfords (or similar) car paint section and check their colours against the bike frame.

I’ve got the Randonneur brochure - I wonder if the paint has a name?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I too have a late 708 in dark blue.
I've yet to find the nail varnish the same colour so there's probably one out there somewhere.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I've just noticed that those pictures I've posted further up post are poor quality/my mobile is showing not particularly very good?
There is a PDF for that somewhere I have seen on the Internet but other than that I will try and post a better version.