Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Manc33

Re: Anyone found the roads less busy and/or motorists driving better?

Post by Manc33 »

I'll let you know when a car goes past me. :mrgreen:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Last Wednesday's ride certainly had some traffic here on the Norfolk lanes, and when walking to the local shop the last few days I thought there had been quite an increase in traffic. Yesterday, a 32 mile ride, and absolutely nothing overtook me :D . Wow, that's a record. I have to say there were about 8 vehicles passing the other way though :(
RickH

Post by RickH »

This chart

From this BBC article - Coronavirus: 'Lockdown fatigue' blamed for increase in driving - shows car use creeping up but still over 50% down on pre-COVID levels. But note that they are more than double the lowest levels earlier on.

While traffic overall may seem very high, at least in some places at some times, compared to early lockdown days it is well down on what we had been used to before. I've found traffic levels to be patchy round Bolton but, away from some main local corridors, generally still very low.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Car use is, I think, likely to surge in a post-lockdown UK. There will be too much traffic (even now, TBH) for most people to want to cycle or walk, and very few will want to use public transport.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Out for a ride today andnthe roads looked back to their normal traffic levels,including the normal level of loonies :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

People still just mentioning car use and ignoring that HGVs, buses, traders, vans and everything else are also on the roads and being driven at a similar merchant banker rate.
I've been off a week but on our local roads every day, traffic levels are now not far shy of normal IME and that's just a small town. Drivers of bigger vehicles are taking the micturate just as much as car drivers, except they are more threatening and take more stopping time even if the moron behind the wheel acknowledges the hazard they are posing. :evil:
All the BS about encouraging cycling is hogwash unless direct and immediate action is taken, saying we are doing x or y is meaningless and even then what is being discussed doesn't remotely go far enough.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Quiet road and NCN based commute in to work, traffic levels fairly stable since lockdown. Town streets and main road commute from work, substantial increase in motor traffic today.

Driver endangerment levels have been rising steadily in both directions since lockdown began.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The traffic has certainly been increasing over the last week or so and today, around where i am atm whilst not at pre covid levels its certainly heading that way. One thing that has started to happen, even before this weeks slight relaxation, has been multiple short car journeys to fetch the paper, a bottle of milk etc through the day - i guess on the premise that driving isn't going out more than once for exercise!

By contrast, out of the city, even on Saturday, traffic was light enough to forget they might be about. But i have to agree that its HGV's and agricultural drivers that are now providing a disproportionate element of danger, driving far too fast on narrow lanes that in normal times would have a steady flow of traffic slowing their progress, i had two instances of this last week, wahey, no traffic, foot down oh [inappropriate word removed], there's a bike, slamming on of brakes and guilty slow speed onward travel. :?

Pretty sure we'll see a dramatic surge this week as 'travel to exercise' is rolled out.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My regular routes at the mo' are all 'twixt Yate and Thornbury and, fortunately it's all still quite quiet... how long that's gonna last I do not know! The local travellers have been taking their ponies out trotting a lot, taking advantage of the temporary lull.
snip off of cycle.travel
snip off of cycle.travel
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cycling home from work today I noticed much more traffic, mostly cars and this is in Wales remember where people are still supposed to stay at home?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Similar thread on another cycle forum. A couple of Londonists wanting to ban cars.
cyclingninja

Post by cyclingninja »

'Yes' and 'perhaps'. At least around Cambridgeshire and fringes of Bedfordshire / Essex. Went out Saturday morning. Bright and sunny. Probably no more than a handful of cars and vans went past me the whole ride and it was decent length circuit. Went over the new A14 - permanently logjammed pre lockdown - all but vacated. I was half tempted to cycle up the M11 for a section (joke!) Needless to say it was also empty. Struggling to recall a single close pass, unimaginative hand gesture or window wound down active aggressive threat... Nope. Nada. Shame that this should be something notable! Hope the virus is vanquished soon, but may the roads stay like this for a while longer...
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

Seems that traffic in London is picking up a bit, but there's still a lot of people walking and running right in the middle of the roads, or away from the footpath anyway.
This is becoming increasingly a problem due to the need for social distancing some people may have, and rightfully so. However, a general rule that was acceptable and relatively easy to deal with, cannot be managed in the same way right now that more vehicles are on the road.

I hope the authorities can do something about. My feelings are that is not the time, if there's ever been one, to increase or promote angst in any manner.
londonbikerider

Post by londonbikerider »

gaz wrote:More drivers speeding and using phones on this morning's commute :evil: .

Then I'm not the only one thinking that use of mobile phones while driving has increased by the week? :?
PLodon

Post by PLodon »

Down here in SE Kent the roads were quieter but seem to be getting a little busier in the past few days, unfortunately, there seemed to be an increase in speeding amongst quite a few cars/vans etc on the road. Absolutely no sign of better driving I'm afraid :(
Still plodding on.... :D