OWD CODGER TRYING TO GET FIT

Clouded Leopard

OWD CODGER TRYING TO GET FIT

Post by Clouded Leopard »

Just ordered my new cycle and have come up with an idea to start getting fit. Thought of doing say 5 miles per day on quiet country roads above Hebden Bridge. After a week gradually step up the distance and introduce some gentle gradients progressing to increasing both distance and gradients. Frequency would possibly be every other day with walking 5 miles per day in between. Would I be on the right track with this .

Seventy one years young and as Jean Brodie stated “In my prime”. I regularly walk five miles per day over undulating moors with a ten miler at weekends. Not been on a cycle since about 1995 when I rode on a regular basis with North Finchley and Central London CTC groups prior to moving back up to Lancashire.

Thank you
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
Paulatic

Re: OWD CODGER TRYING TO GET FIT

Post by Paulatic »

Sounds like an excellent plan I think it won’t be long until you’re doing far more than five miles :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:Sounds like an excellent plan I think it won’t be long until you’re doing far more than five miles :D

+1
You're starting from a higher fittness level than a lot of people half your age who'd probably faint if they thought they had to walk 2miles let alone 10! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Good luck, I've recently gone the other way - cycle less and walk more - flippin heck walking is hard work!
I think the key, for both of us, is to not worry about the numbers too much and do what's comfortable. Some of your general fitness from walking will transfer, but I expect it'll still take a while to build up. Plenty of riders in their 70's (And 80's) in my CTC group and on here, still putting in big miles, some at a pace those half their age can't match. Have fun.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

+ 1 sounds an excellent plan.

Think the only comments I'd make are don't push the gradients, too soon; it can feel like they need 20 times the effort per mile compared with a flat route and could be quite demotivating (NB. Believe Hebdon Bridge is hilly, I'd be happy to push the bike uphill and then enjoy the flatter bits)

And within days of starting it could be worth doing a higher mileage on a ride (10, 15, 20 miles) and then taking a good 48-72 Hr's to recover (NB. Muscle development primarily being to push the muscle beyond a workout if finds "easy", but ensuring the muscle then has sufficient time to recover. Doing five easy miles every other day without sufficient recovery time, may not be as productive in respect to improving fitness
Clouded Leopard

Post by Clouded Leopard »

May I offer my thanks to all. Very interesting replies which have given me food for thought. It is so refreshing to be back in the cycling community. Thank you again.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PH wrote:(snip)
I think the key, for both of us, is to not worry about the numbers too much and do what's comfortable. (snip) Have fun.

This has been my own experience with every new (to me) activity, both physical & mental (although most activities are both). The worst thing you can do is "make a plan" as this is a rod for your own back; an unhelpful critic; an ideological trap that makes you do daft things whilst at the same time sneering at your efforts.

Although I dislike the concept "fun" (which is what hysterical Yankers do) there is a great merit, I feel, in making all activities a joy not a labour; play not work; for you not for some ideal. When it's play, you keep at it. When it work (the dreaded plan) you avoid it in favour of playing at something else.

Cugel, a big kid playing-out.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hebden Bridge? Wow, you have got that long hill up Cragg Vale they climbed in the Tdf, good luck with that! When you can tackle it I believe you will have reached your peak. Sadly I am past that stage and now surrounded by killer hills here in rural Devon I have gone electric. But, what they say about electric is true, you tend to ride much further and if you are mean with the electric assistance you still get meaningful exercise.
I have set myself distant targets which means I have to be abstemious with the battery and cycle unassisted or at low level to reach them and retain enough power for the killer bits ( 1 in 4s to 1 in 8s) on the return trip.

Good luck

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'm sure you are aware of this from your previous cycling experiences, but don't forget to drink enough as your mileages increase. I forgot my own advice yesterday, it having turned a lot colder here in W. Lancs. Cycled double the distance I've been cycling previously during the 'lockdown', in shorts and forgot to drink sufficiently from my bottle, just had a couple of cups of coffee from a flask . This 'perfect storm' resulted in severe cramps (muscle contractions) in my thighs at 2 in the morning, it took me about 5 minutes to get out of bed due to the pain, then I drank a couple of glasses of salty water and a milky drink before I felt it was safe to return to sleep. The muscles still feel a bit weak today (liable to cramp).
I don't know if this condition gets worse as you get older, I'm 66, I got them regularly after rides for a couple of months a while back, but started drinking more whilst out, and having a warm shower as soon as I got in seemed to keep them at bay (touch wood).
I make noises I didn't know I had in me when I get cramps, to be avoided if at all possible.
Lovely part of the world for your 'comeback' you can get some miles in along the towpaths there and work up to the hills can't you ? Picture above Hebden Bridge, grand country ! Take it steady.
P1100541.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

colin54 wrote: I don't know if this condition gets worse as you get older...

Yes. Disordered thirst and osmoregulation become more common as you age.

Unfortunately overhydration is now a problem as well, probably because of the relentless promotion of commercial drinks.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jdsk wrote:
colin54 wrote: I don't know if this condition gets worse as you get older...

Yes. Disordered thirst and osmoregulation become more common as you age.

Unfortunately overhydration is now a problem as well, probably because of the relentless promotion of commercial drinks.

Jonathan

I drink water, juice, better too much than too little I think, in very hot weather I cycle less or stay home
What problems does overhydration cause?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Predominantly neurological, can include fits and loss of consciousness.

The clues to diagnosis are being aware of the conditioning and suspecting it, and finding a low plasma sodium concentration caused by dilution.

Fortunately it has received much more attention recently, after a few dramatic cases which were followed by systematic studies in eg the London Marathon... many participants gain weight!

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I often used to suffer from cramp - then after joining a gym and being shown how to do stretches, I find that the stretches after a bike ride virtually eliminate cramp.
Also the advice about fluids and electrolytes is important.