Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Bonefishblues »

Graham wrote:Thanks all. 32 Kg of flour in the kitchen. Yeast now the limiting factor.

Weevils can't believe their luck. The rat horde is massing in the garden . . . . . this may not end well :shock:

Something like these will sort the problem:

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/storage-boxes- ... tmEALw_wcB
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see Lidl TOMORROW ( SUNDAY10TH MAY) they have 50 pkt of disposable nitrile gloves @ £3.99. I bet these will go very fast?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:I see Lidl TOMORROW ( SUNDAY10TH MAY) they have 50 pkt of disposable nitrile gloves @ £3.99. I bet these will go very fast?

Right into the undergrowth joining their fallen comrades from what I've seen (along with face masks).

Another gripe whilst I'm at it, people encouraging their kids to paint rainbows and then take them into the woods and stick them on trees.
All very laudable and I'm all for keeping the kids both in the loop and entertained.
But why are they in plastic sleeves - or worse, laminated?

Keeping things on topic; I bought 24 tins of beans yesterday - it's the minimum Costco sell and judging by the last lot they last me around 2 years.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
Keeping things on topic; I bought 24 tins of beans yesterday - it's the minimum Costco sell...

Oh well, so much for noxious emissions being under control :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Keeping things on topic; I bought 24 tins of beans yesterday - it's the minimum Costco sell...

Oh well, so much for noxious emissions being under control :D

It's OK for you darn sarf,he's only 5 miles away from me :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Graham wrote:Thanks all. 32 Kg of flour in the kitchen. Yeast now the limiting factor.

Weevils can't believe their luck. The rat horde is massing in the garden . . . . . this may not end well :shock:

you should keep it under lock an key?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mercalia wrote:

you should keep it under lock an key?

I had a jar of spaghetti once.
I looked in the cupboard and thought it all looked shorter than I remembered but I ignored it.
A week later I opened the cupboard and it was shorter again. When I examined the jar closely the whole bottom was black with weevils - I had wondered why the kitchen was infested with tiny black flying things, I'd assumed they'd been getting in through the windows.

The spaghetti jar was actually crap. It was hexagonal but the inside of the top was circular and had a seal - which was intended to seal the hexagonal jar... How?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

paid an infrequent visit to Saindburys on Streatham Common. And on the other wise empty flour shelves were 3 1.5 kg pkts of Carrs Whole meal bread flour - £1.50 each. I dont like paying that price but who knows when bread flour will be readily available, so I got pkt, so I now have 6 pks
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I was in Wilko yesterday and the bike bits section was bare!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I was in Wilko yesterday and the bike bits section was bare!

Probably had chain oil - unless they've stopped selling it because nobody bought it.

Bikes everywhere squeaking away. Does my noggin in, I want to wave them down and spray their chains.

The next great invention will be a chain that never requires lubrication.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I was in Wilko yesterday and the bike bits section was bare!

I've noticed that Wilko have gradually been running down their bike bits section for quite a while now. Their £8 cycle computer has gone.

I don't know if Wilko are having problems but they are always very slow to re-stock on some things like computer bits and pieces and printer ink.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:paid an infrequent visit to Saindburys on Streatham Common. And on the other wise empty flour shelves were 3 1.5 kg pkts of Carrs Whole meal bread flour - £1.50 each. I dont like paying that price but who knows when bread flour will be readily available, so I got pkt, so I now have 6 pks

Bread flour has been back in Lidl up here for a few weeks - but now rices have gone, unless you want a 10kg pack!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:paid an infrequent visit to Saindburys on Streatham Common. And on the other wise empty flour shelves were 3 1.5 kg pkts of Carrs Whole meal bread flour - £1.50 each. I dont like paying that price but who knows when bread flour will be readily available, so I got pkt, so I now have 6 pks

Bread flour has been back in Lidl up here for a few weeks - but now rices have gone, unless you want a 10kg pack!

well maybe there is bread flour some where but at my lidl when I go there. no flour of any type today , no eggs. But a few ( blue) pkts of easy cook 8x125gm ( 1kg) sachets of easy book rice - rather usefull for traveling/camping ( if only we could) as just put in some boiling water for 10 minutes. 125 grms is a good serving for one person. even has a separate handle to pull out of the water. A bit more expensive than not in sachets but not much
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:rather usefull for traveling/camping ( if only we could) as just put in some boiling water for 10 minutes. 125 grms is a good serving for one person. even has a separate handle to pull out of the water. A bit more expensive than not in sachets but not much

Picnicking is now allowed, so maybe that makes them useful. I think camping will happen soon, possibly before hotels reopen.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Can I stop making bread yet!
Can I stop making bread yet!