Advice please, which 24" folding tricycle: Jorvik or Scout?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
andrewh1973

Advice please, which 24" folding tricycle: Jorvik or Scout?

Post by andrewh1973 »

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a 24" folding tricycle (for medical reasons I can't ride a bicycle as I never been able to balance), I note there's not a lot of choice in this market, however. Having ruled out the Pashley Tri-1 as too expensive I've narrowed down my choices to two brands, Jorvik and Scout. For Jorvik I'm considering https://jorviktricycles.com/jorvik-aluminium-folding-tricycle and likewise, for Scout, I'm considering https://buytricycle.com/product/adults-tricycle/

I'd like some thoughts please on both, given that they are similar in specification and looks but very different in terms of price. My main concern with the Scout is that it's only sold by that one online retailer (who appears to be a sole trader/partnership as they're not listed at Companies House) and I've seen no product reviews of it anywhere else and neither does the Scout brand appear to exist anywhere on the web as a maker of tricycles, so it feels like this is just a brand name Buy Tricycle uses on an OEM tricycle range - made by whom then? Yet they appear to have sold enough of them for them to have mostly decent reviews on company review sites. As for the Jorvik, I am not sure if it's just better quality than the Scout or if the higher price is simply down to their overheads being so much higher, being a larger operation with a showroom that Scout's Buy Tricycles retailer does not have.

So please give me your thoughts on both suppliers and if the tricycles themselves if you can. I lean towards the Scout on purely cost grounds and yet sometimes then lean towards Jorvik on supposed (my own assumed) grounds that they are either better supported or better quality (the old trick of price implying some given level of quality over something else that's cheaper) but is either leaning correct? Thus I need some opinion from those who know this industry on which of the two is actually the better bet. Thanks!
PAB855

Re: Advice please, which 24" folding tricycle: Jorvik or Scout?

Post by PAB855 »

Hi. My knowledge is limited to the non folding Jorvik 24inch wheels with e assist, the Pashley Tri 1 folding, which was later fitted with a retrofit e assist and five other upright trikes mostly with e assist, one secondhand ICE recumbent trike and one ( in current use) new ICE Adventure trike with retrofit e assist. The journey took five years.

I could tell you a bit about any of that if it's any use, but we were fortunate to have a charity in this area which had various adapted pedal driven machines and gave us the free use of a couple of these.

The Jorvik was perfectly good quality and there was no quibble when the electronic control unit had to be replaced free of charge. I had to assemble it myself, which was quite straightforward. If you search other postings in this CTC Forum you will find a wealth of experiences and advice, but it's horses for courses. Whatever you do, don't buy any upright trike without a test ride. I will say no more, but we are sticking with the recumbent , being fortunate to be able to afford it. Good luck

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you have never ridden a bike or scooter then an upright trike might suit you well. You won’t have “unlearn” how to ride a bike.

Recumbents are much more stable than upright trikes, which tend to be two wheels at the back, and therefore able to tip “out” of a corner - if you have no sense of balance that could be an issue.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AndreaB20

Post by AndreaB20 »

Hello Andrew
I came across your post and wondered if you came to any conclusions about which trike!
I’m going through a similar process at the moment and was looking at the same manufacturers as you. I would love to hear any comments you could make.
rjb

Post by rjb »

2nd hand jorviks come up on Facebook market place occasionally at considerable saving over a new machine. :wink:
There is a Facebook trike group which often has them for sale. Tricycle UK group is one of the group's. There are others too.
I've no connection with any of the vendors.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My OH has a 20" folding Jorvik trike and loves it despite not riding it much due to time constraints, she joking said she'd join me on bike rides if she could buy a trike which I found then added can it be electric and Jorvik was one name suggested to us.
We made the journey to York and speant a day doing the tourist thing then visited the showroom and we both had a test ride round the carpark and made sure when folded it would fit in her 60 plate Kia Picanto which it did when folded.
AndreaB20

Post by AndreaB20 »

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the FB groups!

I agree, a trip to York would be beneficial but from Gloucestershire it’s a bit of trek! 🤔
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

There is a Jorvik parked, unused at a retirement complex opposite where I live. I came across it while collecting another machine to go to the bike charity for refurb, so asked why it was going unused.

Answer? Too high geared to be of any use except on dead-flat ground. Having had a look, the lowest gear seems to be well above 1:1, so I can quite see how it would be hard work uphill for an inexperienced or slightly frail user. Added to which, The seating position and high bars don’t favour athleticism even by anyone capable of it.

Apparently it was originally bought be a woman for her disabled daughter, sold on because of the gearing issue, and found useless by its new owner (a retired lady) and the manager of the retirement complex (a keen long-distance walker, so not unfit).

So ……. Have a careful check of gear ratios before committing to any particular trike.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Take a look at Mission Cycles, who are based in the UK, https://missioncycles.co.uk/product-cat ... lt-trikes/