choice of 3 ebikes? which one...

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
ashworth87

choice of 3 ebikes? which one...

Post by ashworth87 »

It has been a few years since i last got on a bike but im looking for a new hobby and would like to get into riding a bit more. i have a heavy mountain bike, but im after something a little faster on the roads. I would like to use it for a variety of things, family rides on trails, perhaps some commuting but also something that i can have fun on and go fast on when i go out riding on my own or with friends. Im considering an ebike, as my commute is long and hilly, my youngest child likes to be pulled along in a trailer and as im just getting back in the saddle, the extra help uphill may be useful so i can ride longer.
I don't have unlimited funds so I've narrowed my search down to three hybrid ebikes (any other suggestions welcome!):

1) Cannondale quick NEO
2) Orbea F30 Gain
3) Boardman HYB 8.9e

I was just wondering what people thought is the best option or has any experience with any of the bikes? any info welcome.

Thanks
stodd

Re: choice of 3 ebikes? which one...

Post by stodd »

A little more basic than those, but you could save a lot with a Woosh Faro: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro
Also likely to save on any repairs and (in a few years) replacement battery, these can get expensive on the more upmarket proprietary ebike systems.
Probably some from Wisper as well.
AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

How does the F30 differ to the F20? I just got an F20 so might be able to answer any questions?

I really like it, but have only ridden it a couple of times.

[youtube]2P3pU2sjpYM[/youtube]
A7 Simon

Post by A7 Simon »

I don't know the specs of those bikes you are asking about.

We have standard bikes, limited to 15.5. We bought them to keep up with our younger friends. It doesn't work like that, the 15.5 limit is too low on the level bits.

We wouldn't be without them, though, we have done much more cycling since the acquisition.

I wish I could run to a decent full-sus for the off road rides.
scottg

Post by scottg »

2) Orbea F30 Gain

I'd pick this one, only 1 of the 3 that has double chain ring up front.
It is a standard Shimano road crankset.

Some Cannondales have a double up front too, the Synapse E.Bike,
Cannondale make their own chainsets for that one, it is a Bosch
system bike.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

The only reasons I wonder if I should have gone with the Boardman is the battery is removable, so if you want a lighter bike for regular use, you can do that. Also, you can change/upgrade the wheel son the Boardman. My Orbea has it's motor in the rear wheel, meaning I can't do this.
Gangzoom

Post by Gangzoom »

I went with the Boardman because the Fazua motor is the same as one that's found in near 5 figure bikes from Look, Pinarello, Trek, Focus.

The removable battery makes charging easier than anything else, as it means you don't need to leave your bike near a plug point.

I've thought about upgrading the wheels already on the Boardman, but the frame is more of an issue than the wheels.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Ashworth87
Back in March I took delivery of the Cannondale synapse Neo 1 Ebike. It took a long time to make up my mind and having done a lot of research I narrowed things down within my own parameters

It had to look like a touring bike
Had to be able to have mudguards and a pannier rack
Had to have a removable battery ( for charging off the bike in B&Bs and guest houses when I can get touring again)
Had to be as lightweight as possible to be carried along with my wife's ebike on a towbar rack

These were my main considerations. The Neo 1 or 2 fitted these so I took a deep breath and took out my credit card.
I have now done exactly 600 miles doing short 20 to 30 mile jaunts during this lockdown period. It is a joy to ride in all respects. The geometry of the frame is excellent for me and although it weighs in at about 18.3 kgm it purrs along without the motor engaged and freewheels like the blazes.
I cannot notice any drag when the motor cuts out at the 15.5 mph.
I did try the Neo 2 at Rutland cycles before I ordered one from a bike shop dealer not too far from Solihull. Spending all that money I wanted to make sure it was comfortable which it is.

As much as I would like to continue to ride on my Ridgeback touring bike which is a beauty my lungs and late onset of bloody asthma has changed things for me. I needed that extra assistance on the hills.
It ticks all my boxes
Anthony
stodd

Post by stodd »

Also, the battery should never be charged near or below 0C. That can be awkward if you keep the bike in a garage even if you have a charging point there.
woodybrighton

Post by woodybrighton »

I like my whoosh faro I get up the hills around brighton at 6 to 10 mph if you get the external battery pack its very much a road bike though