Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Is it me?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

ossie wrote:
Edit..sorry to butt in.. this thread appears to have gone a bit weird

More than a bit!

Just back from a quick evening blast in the cold sunshine. Lots of friendly roadies likewise blasting and also many teen types wandering around randomly on mtbs. All good.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

al_yrpal wrote:Since the start of the lockdown out on the backroads where I cycle I am seeing more and more roadies encapsulated in lycra head down, peddling away furiously and find my greetings are usually ignored. Whoever I encounter I usually say a cheery good morning or good afternoon, sometimes Hi, but more and more there is no response.
Perhaps its my grizzled appearance and garb consisting of a white helmet, polar top, flourescent yellow tabard, jeans, cycle clips and hush puppies?
Perhaps is my upright stance on an electric clunker ( I usually stay well behind on the flat and whizz past on electric Turbo when encountering any sort of hill)
Perhaps its because of Straver or whatever?
Perhaps many of these folk are new cyclists unaware of good cycling manners?
There are lots of families out and about with youngsters, they always respond?
So is it me?

Al?

It’s a Southern thing.

When I lived in the Midlands, and on trips back there cycling, I say hello to fellow cyclists (dressed as roadies in Lycra in the main) and 9 out of 10 (on average) reply with a cheery “Hello”.

When I moved to the South (whether riding in London or the Chilterns with 20 years of observations), 9 out of 10 ignore my greetings. I think the bulk are just pig ignorant and the others maybe wouldn’t deign to see someone on a touring bike, with panniers, in MTB shorts as a “proper cyclist” as juxtaposed with themselves in full lycra on a carbon speed machine.

Shame really, as we all enjoy the same hobby. I’m sure no one on this forum or YACF would ignore a fellow cyclist and when I did the Dunwych Dynamo, there were loads of friendly Londoners but, in general, my observations are stark and disheartening.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
ossie

Post by ossie »

markjohnobrien wrote:
It’s a Southern thing.

When I lived in the Midlands, and on trips back there cycling, I say hello to fellow cyclists (dressed as roadies in Lycra in the main) and 9 out of 10 (on average) reply with a cheery “Hello”.

I live in the beautiful south.

Most 'roadies' don't really say hello anyway its usually a nod or a movement of the hand with the odd 'Hi' or grunt but its usually there. Germany is the biggest ignore fest I've seen as many cyclists are on e bikes and subliminally I think they just aren't part of the cycling culture so can't be bothered....Spain is epic though 'Hola' at every turn from roadies. MTB'ers..

I must admit to having a little game of trying to acknowledge other cyclists, the better half does it when walking.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

This topic seems to come up quite often. Cyclist numbers or heavy traffic making acknowledgment impossible and nearly imperceptible nods or waves by roadies are reasons why other cyclists think they're being ignored.

I rarely vocally greet other cyclists, a slightly dropped hand as a wave is my greeting, sometimes I've seen roadies who barely do more than lift a couple of fingers whilst their hand remains on the bar.

In N Yorks and the NE I'd say cyclists are pretty good at greeting each other, but I suppose if you're expecting a huge wave and a cheery 'good morning' then you're going to be disappointed.
peetee

Re: Is it just me?

Post by peetee »

One observation from having lived in various parts of the country; the south and south east are the areas least likely to return a greeting or acknowledgement of shared interest. I think that is true even within a common pastime so mountain bikers tend to ignore roadies, Lycra roadies ignore tourists, etc etc.
Having moved from a Hampshire to Cornwall the difference is night and day. But that’s across society as a whole as I have greetings and conversations with all sorts of people far, far more often. Being ignored has become the exception rather than the rule. And talking about rules, that is largely where the difference comes from. In Hampshire many people are ruled by the clock, they are cramming their lives and don’t have the time or inclination to deviate from their ordered regimented lifestyle. Being in more frenetic surroundings makes people insular, untrusting, selfish and wary of differences in behaviour.
For what it’s worth, lockdown seems to have made people even happier round here. There are far more families out, conversations being had on doorsteps, pavements and trails. I suppose time rules us all if we let it and when something like Covid comes along people get the opportunity to use that time more freely and the constraints of lifestyle choice and social segregation fall away. It seems somewhat ironic that at a time when we are supposed to be keeping our distance from others that, to a certain extent we are more together.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

It used to bother me that a few and only a few did not wave or say hello back to my greeting, now I tell myself I am not important so why should they?
rjb

Post by rjb »

You need to find some new routes on the Somerset levels, 20 miles up the road from you. We get cheery greetings from 95% of fellow riders, dog walkers and joggers, but then we are on a tandem and most riders have seen us before. Even PC plod in his 4 X 4 has been giving us a cheery wave as he was enforcing the lockdown before today. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
francovendee

Re: They snub my greeting - Is it just me?

Post by francovendee »

Are people in the south less friendly, on or off a bike?

I haven't cycled in the UK for nearly 20 years but visit friends in Hampshire several times a year. We take walks in the beautiful countryside and greet other walkers with a Hi or hello, I'd say 80% don't respond.

Maybe I've lived in France too long where Bonjour is the norm. Entering a bar, shop or even the doctors waiting room the custom is to say Bonjour.

It's odd because I don't think Brits are an unfriendly lot so is it a southern thing?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Go for a walk in the Cheviots and meet someone and as like as not you'll get their life story. Mind you, it's rare that you'll meet anyone.

Same at the bus stop. A friendly good morning and you have a new best mate.
John
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

francovendee wrote:Are people in the south less friendly, on or off a bike?

I haven't cycled in the UK for nearly 20 years but visit friends in Hampshire several times a year. We take walks in the beautiful countryside and greet other walkers with a Hi or hello, I'd say 80% don't respond.

Maybe I've lived in France too long where Bonjour is the norm. Entering a bar, shop or even the doctors waiting room the custom is to say Bonjour.

It's odd because I don't think Brits are an unfriendly lot so is it a southern thing?

I confess to being a "southerner" .

Generally I receive and give greetings as appropriate. That would apply to "roadies" , "mountain bikers" and of course tourists.
It doesn't concern me that I don't always get a greeting (as likely as not I'll give just the economical hand movement)

It's always possible that the other cyclist is approaching a pothole or some other hazard so is not particularly aware of another cyclist.

NCN1 passes through my village and I find foreign tourists don't usually acknowledge or initiate greetings.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

The British are known for their reserve and it is my experience that in the north people will strike up a conversation with you far quicker than in south.

I'm not sure that makes Southerners less friendly though; Northumberland has a population density of about 62 people per sq km, Surrey has 716, London has 4,500; that's bound to impact upon the way people interact. And there are other social factors, as a child my wife frequently had to holiday in North Wales (because her parents liked it). They all remember the level of indifference, bordering on hostility, in some places there, but it can't have been all like that otherwise they wouldn't have repeatedly gone back.
al_yrpal

Is it just me?

Post by al_yrpal »

As I mentioned in the original post my garb, jeans, cycle clips, hush puppies and a flourescent tabbard is probably so far removed from a lycra clad strava geek that they believe I am from another species :shock: and therefore I dont get acknowleged.... :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

al_yrpal wrote:As I mentioned in the original post my garb, jeans, cycle clips, hush puppies and a flourescent tabbard is probably so far removed from a lycra clad strava geek that they believe I am from another species :shock: and therefore I dont get acknowleged.... :lol:

Do maiden aunts on sit up and begs, wearing woollen stockings, tweed skirts and ferocious grimaces wave back?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Do maiden aunts on sit up and begs, wearing woollen stockings, tweed skirts and ferocious grimaces wave back?

And they never say hello when they overtake me :(
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

al_yrpal wrote:As I mentioned in the original post my garb, jeans, cycle clips, hush puppies and a flourescent tabbard is probably so far removed from a lycra clad strava geek that they believe I am from another species :shock: and therefore I dont get acknowleged.... :lol:

Al
There is some truth in that. Several decades ago (1960/70/80) you would probably acknowledge a club type cyclist. If that same rider was dressed in ordinary workaday clothes you would look at the feet. Toe clips, straps and cycling shoes (days before cycling shoes looked like fluorescent trainers) - all present and you might acknowledge them. None of the above and the rider might be grandad going to the allotment or little Johnny off on a paper round, neither of which merited recognition.

These days those distinguishing features and less common, which is why I don't get acknowledged when riding to the shops on my small wheeled shopper even though I have clips, straps and shoes.

On a more general note - whatever I am riding I do not seek acknowledgement and nor do I always give it or respond.