Lejog 7 days first timer

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
pashda

Re: Lejog 7 days first timer

Post by pashda »

I did 9 days LEJOG last year. We pre-booked all accomodation mostly Airbnb which was excellent. Most accomodation had a washing machine and drier so easy to clean kit every day. With your wife as back up it will make life easier getting food each night and breakfast. We also rode in June, it rained 8 out of 9 days and was cold so we were glad we took warm kit. Good luck
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

3A45DB91-7E90-44CD-B793-3F7D535774E9.png

In 2016 we stayed at Weavers bed and breakfast in Trevescan before starting our LEJOG - although I can’t see any recent advertising blurb for the B&B. Click on the picture to get a clearer image.
As they only had/have the one room available it’s no use for groups. It was much cheaper than Lands End Hotel.
There is also a small hostel in the same village and both are less than an 1/2 mile from Lands End.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

We are doing LEJOG this May and we are booked into Seaview B&B in Sennen. Gets good reviews, about half a mile to LE. Cost is £40pp incl breakfast based on two sharing
Tezzerthebikerider

Post by Tezzerthebikerider »

Thanks for replies , certainly hope I don't get too much rain :).
The more I think about it the more it seems to make sense to pre-book accommodation, gives a definite finish to each day although it makes a definite commitment to get there .
Cheers
Tezzerthebikerider

Quick update ,given the situation I'm cancelling this year and hopefully next year I'll be able to do it .
Banged in 60 miles last Thurs in 3hr 15 then another 3.5 on Zwift Sunday so in the right condition but just not right to go for it now
Tezzerthebikerider

So the time for my ride had passed but I decided to break my record day yesterday of 138 miles which I did in the Alps back in 1992 .
Finished up with 150 miles in 9-17 at just over 16mph.

I learnt alot tbh , one my feet really hurt !
Legs ok at the end but definitely a lot of fatigue still this morning. Garmin suggests 4 easy /rest days .

Went for a little ride and legs better ,not sure how 130 miles would have felt ,guess I'd have to slow down ..
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You sound quite fit enough :)
I found that what ever you were doing at the end of the third day is what you would like me to continue doing.
Social distancing is likely to end, August?
So you don't think you can squeeze it in this year then?
A lot can change in a year especially as you get on in years.
Good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tezzerthebikerider

Hi thanks yes quite fit but definitely think even 7 days is a big undertaking.
I learnt quite abit on that ride tbh which is why I did it .
Ridden every day since but only 1 decent hard ride .
I think with hols in Aug /Oct to come I'll have to delay .
Cheers
Tezzerthebikerider

Re: Lejog 7 days first timer ;))

I'll be 54 next yr so still young ;)
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

I did it in my 60th year with full camping kit etc. Mostly proper campsites if found, or rough camping (no prob). effin hard work! Average 120km a day with longest day being Lairg to JoG approx 160 km. Took scenic route avoiding traffic - Gretna, Ardrossan, Arran, Oban, avoid Fort William on other side of the loch via Corran, Mallaig, Armadale, Kyle, Dingwall, Bonar Bridge, Lairg, Bettyhill, JoG. Lovely route - busiest bit of road was through Thurso about knocking off time. If I did it again I'd take a replacement saddle and swap at intervals- Brooks Pro was a PITA.14 days cycling, plus one day off (broken spoke Loch Carron - hitch to Dingwall for repair) plus 2 days rail getting to Penzance and back from Wick.
matt2matt2002

Re: Lejog 7 days first timer ;))

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Tezzerthebikerider wrote:I'll be 54 next yr so still young ;)

Wait until you reach 66 & 1/2.
You'll still be young.

My favourite quote:
You don't stop doing things because you're getting old , you get old because you stop doing things.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Tezzerthebikerider

Well done chaps ,I've plenty of time ...I hope .
Sounds like a nice scenic route with the Camping gear , I prefer to think of a proper bed at the end of the day though ;)