What milage do you get with a Bosch Drive?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
al_yrpal

What milage do you get with a Bosch Drive?

Post by al_yrpal »

I have been gradually riding further and further on my Bosch driven e bike and have yet to totally run out of juice. I was wondering what others have found? I know about the Bosch range calculator but wonder what real world range experience delivers for you?

I weigh 90kg, the bike is 24kg and I usually carry lock, water, spare tube and tools of about 5kg. Its pretty hilly around here. I have a Bosch Performance drive with a 500wh battery. My longest trip so far has been a 40 mile round trip and I had 2 bars left on the Purion display which dropped to 1 bar a mile before I arrived home. I usually ride with Eco or Tour depending on the route and seldom switch off totally since when you freewheel you arent using any power at all. I only use Sport or Turbo briefy on the steepest parts of the steepest hills. Yesterday I rode a very hilly 35 mile route and ended up with 2 bars left.

What sort of milages are you getting?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vetus Ossa

Re: What milage do you get with a Bosch Drive?

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I live in a fairly hilly area and have a similar Cube to yours.
The furthest I have ridden on it is 54 miles and I still had juice in the battery when I reached home, but as you can imagine I was getting nervous.
Obviously I used eco mode as much as possible but had to use all of the other modes at one point or another.
When the covid situation allows I am seriously considering getting another Cube with the 625 wh battery, to make longer rides less nail biting.
Mind you after being off the bike since lockdown started I think it will be a while before I can manage a longer ride.
Beauty will save the world.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm heartened by such mileages solo,we've ridden 30miles+ on our tandem with it's Samsung17.5ah battery with a front wheel motor and still had almost half battery showing on the indicator.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yesterday I rode 27 miles and used over quarter but less than half of my battery power Samsung 17.4).

Fully laden in a Scotland cycle camping I ride over 40 miles and have never run out.
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

The range assistant gives a very good idea. https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/

Shows how much difference assist level and riding conditions make (why 'real' is often less than a third of 'up to')
Actually pretty helpful for non-Bosch as well with just a little interpretation and a linear allowance for battery capacity.
I think it could be improved with a bit more detail on the hilliness scale, and maybe a height climbed option, but still very useful.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

stodd wrote:The range assistant gives a very good idea. https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/

Shows how much difference assist level and riding conditions make (why 'real' is often less than a third of 'up to')
Actually pretty helpful for non-Bosch as well with just a little interpretation and a linear allowance for battery capacity.
I think it could be improved with a bit more detail on the hilliness scale, and maybe a height climbed option, but still very useful.

Yes, I am aware of this but just wondered what folk got in practice

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

I've borrowed and ridden my wife's Tern Vektron with Bosch Active Line motor until the 504 Wh battery ran out - 48.7 miles with 5500 feet of climbing. She has a spare battery so I got home the remaining 5 miles perfectly well. The motor was used mostly on 1/4 power (Eco) and 2/4 (Tour). Overall 53.54 miles, average speed 10.8 mph, 5600 feet of climbing, from and to home to Matlock Bath across the southern part of the Peak District. I'm perhaps 65 kg clothed, bike is 24 kg, plus perhaps 5-7 kg day luggage (including spare battery). Borrowing that persuaded me to get my own eBike (or rather she suggested I should get my own!).

The range is a function of power level used, total weight carried and how much climbing.
loafer

Post by loafer »

hi Al
mine e-bike is the riese+muller supercharger gx Rholoff dual batt cx motor bike weight is 29kgs my weight about 74 kgs did this ride to test for hills and range used in tour mode with the odd use of emtb on the nasty bits ..lol got back home with still over 1 bar to go witch i was pleased with :D 70 miles with 5,500 ft

https://www.strava.com/activities/3392008469

larry
Lodge

Re: What mileage do you get with a Bosch Drive?

Post by Lodge »

This afternoon's ride on the Riese & Müller Delite with its Bosch Performance Line motor. It used about half of the two 504 Wh batteries' capacity in 33.24 miles with 3940 feet of ascent, all on maximum assist (turbo).
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

Cannondale Synapse Neo with 500Wh battery. Recently did a circuit of the Avon Cycleway (85miles) and had an indicated range of 10miles left at the end. Mostly (~95%) on Eco setting. The bike has 20 gears so getting home on a flat battery would not be too difficult.
rbrian

Post by rbrian »

The furthest I've ever gone on my Tern Vektron S10 is 65 miles, with lots of hills and a strong headwind (there and back!) which meant I used higher assistance levels than usual. 20 miles from home, I gave up and took the train home - it was past dark, I was down to 1 bar, the steepest uphills were still to come, I was exhausted, and sunburnt, and NCN1 between Stonehaven and Aberdeen takes a ludicrously convoluted route (still better than the A90, but frustrating).

On a typical day, I only go between 8 and 30 miles, with minimal use of the motor. On the flat I go around 18mph, which doesn't use the motor, much faster downhill, and I do try the uphills on the lower assistance settings, only using the 2nd and occasionally 3rd setting on the final hill after a long day. Sometimes two weeks can go by between charges.

I use my bike to replace my work van, so I don't feel guilty about using an ebike for such short journeys. I use the van for longer journeys, more because of the time it takes than anything else. I carry around 20kgs of luggage every day (such a small amount makes even a Corsavan look like overkill), and I get plenty of exercise dragging it up the stairs at work.
Cynic? No, an optimist tempered by experience.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far, very informative. I think it goes some way to prove the Bosch range calculator is fairly accurate.

Al
westofsouth

Post by westofsouth »

I recorded the battery voltage at the end of five rides on one charge. Fairly linear up to 70miles then drops off quite rapidly...
CSN Battery.jpg
stodd

Post by stodd »

That's pretty standard for batteries. The info for the cells in our non-Bosch battery is
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2 ... %20UK.html
and they've got info on many others. You'll not that same reasonably linear main part with sharper dropoff towards empty.
I don't know what cells the various Bosch batteries use.

Most battery indicators work on voltage. When you take power from a battery the voltage sags. The sag is effectively the difference between the different lines on the battery graph at a given state of charge. On our tandem that can often mean it drops two or even sometimes three bars going up a hill.

The Bosch battery indicator does not do that. I'm sure it's not because their batteries don't sag. I don't know whether it is because they are measuring the actual usage (current drawn), or because they compensate for the sag. It would be much more helpful (Intuvia) if they gave a more precise battery level indication than the absurdly short term estimated range remaining.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Al,
Your initial question is a very difficult one to answer without going into the physics of the machine as some have. Even then in practical terms ie, riding along on the bike there are so many variables regarding the bike itself, the person riding it and the terrain, environment and weather conditions it is impossible to make accurate comparative readings or measurements.
I looked at the Bosch range indicator site ( whatever it is called) along with all the other info garnered before buying mine ( Cannondale Synapse Neo) and thought that if the suggested range was fairly accurate then that would be extremely good. I have found that my rides and mileage so far having done nearly 600 miles on it albeit in 20 to 30 mile rides the battery usage has been brilliant. I have to admit the countryside here in Warwickshire isn't to be compared with Devon however there are some steep hills though not terribly long and I have only put on the Turbo mode once. I think this highlights how good the Eco and especially the Tour modes are.
As I don't have the motor on unless I need it it is very difficult for me to be objective scientifically on the performance. The battery only drops to 80% after a week of my rides. I endeavour to ride this bike like my touring bike and the extra weight without luggage is I guess only about 4 to 5 klg which I do not notice at all. The bike just purrs along and the freewheel down hills is marvellous.

One thing I have found is that the Purion read outs are not the same as my personal bike computer. Bosch as I understand are erring on the side of caution to comply with the law of the land in the cut off speeds of the motor. I have had to readjust the personal computer to sync with the Bosch as having two different read outs at the end of a journey is annoying.
I am certainly happy with all about my machine so far . It is a sheer pleasure to ride and the battery seems to perform wonderfully.
Anthony