Is £84 for a 20 yr.old Raleigh Amazon a good deal ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mototerrier

Is £84 for a 20 yr.old Raleigh Amazon a good deal ?

Post by Mototerrier »

Hi..Just bought a Raleigh Amazon for £84..It was bought brand new 20 years ago by a guy Under the HSBC
cycling scheme at the time..and he took it home and never used it..period. He is now 72 and I got it on eBay auction..it has a rear carrier and panniers fitted and has the original hand book.It has had zero use..the tags are still on the tyres and under the mudguards is immaculate and not a single scuff mark anywhere so it is genuine..was this a good price for one in this "still new" condition even if it is 20 years old , and is there anything to be wary of..I just thought at that price for this it has to be better than the Wang Dong Halford stuff today at twice + the price..I looked at a new Raleigh equivalent today on Google and it was shown at £350...I like to think this was,a steal but feel free to tel! Me otherwise if this isn't the case..
Last edited by Graham on 15 May 2020, 8:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
peetee

Re: Is £84 for a 20 yr.old Raleigh Amazon a good deal ?

Post by peetee »

The Amazon was not as sophisticated as a current £350 bike and would probably feel heavier and more sluggish to ride. That said, it depends on your priorities as they were undoubtedly made to last. If you use it for casual riding and keep it lubed it will probably give years of cheap, trouble-free use.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Although they don't have any wear you may wish to replace the tyres. Link below is for car tyres but basics are the same. May cost you 50% of the bike price!

https://eliteautorepairtempe.com/the-da ... old-tires/
hamster

Post by hamster »

The grease in the hubs, bottom bracket and headset may well have dried out and would be worth replacing. Try PlanetX for soem decent tyres for not much money, ride and enjoy.

Otherwise £84 for some solid transport sounds good to me.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I think you've answered your own question. It was £84! It's not a very remarkable bike but cheap bikes aren't very remarkable.
Just ride and enjoy it - maybe change the tyres/tubes if they are perished or cracked.
set track

Post by set track »

nice bargain , you got a 'classic' bike - made at Nottingham no doubt - look after it .
(worthy of the bike section at local car show's)
PH

Post by PH »

I bought my daughter one of those, does it have the speckled paint?
If it's in as good a condition as you say, I think you got a bargain. I'd change the brake blocks, have a good look at the tyres, add some grease, oil the chain and go ride.
gaz

Post by gaz »

If it is "as new" plus mudguards, rack and panniers then £84 seems a good price to me.

If you feel it is the right size, find it comfortable to ride and it is suited to your intended purpose then it's likely to be a bargain.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Snip! Go for it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I am not an expert save I have a 20 year old Raleigh (Pioneer) myself, steel and made in Nottingham. It is generally superb. But it does seem to me that any bike that goes well and is in good condition has to be worth £80 of anybody's money.

Well maintained and it would just about go on for ever.
John
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

have you got a pic mate. would be nice to see it

in the condition you describe and if it fits you good it sounds a great buy.

it's an absolute go anywhere, do anything bike.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I would go with the advice to change the tyres and regrease everything as any lub will have hardened by now.