Small team from London to Brighton

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike Sales

Re: Small team from London to Brighton

Post by Mike Sales »

Riding home as well as out would avoid complications.
Would make it a better story afterwards too.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Mike Sales wrote:Riding home as well as out would avoid complications.

I did that in 1955 - South east London to Brighton and back. Those of a certain age will remember going over the "Pylons" on Ashdown forest.
It used to be one of my favourite day rides. In those days there was bike storage facility on the front - so the bike could be left securely for a small fee.
I couldn't manage it now - especially with modern traffic conditions.
I can't quite see why you would want a "team".
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:Riding home as well as out would avoid complications.

Also, I'd avoid built-up areas as much as possible. The Epsom route is almost as short as any and not too busy: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/35664
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ronrom

Post by Ronrom »

Those 2 paragraphs someone made under the head line "I think it will be ok", in response to my previous post, is the cluelessness of todays british mentality, where thinking for ones self is a rarity and a conceding to a 'do as you are told' dictatorship ruling is for some stange reason is tolerated.

I referenced supermarkets, does that mean we should all buy online to save lives of nhs workers. After this lockdown I believe mental health conditions will be on the rise just like domestic violence is now.

What the documentary Guns, germs and steal to give you an idea of how humans have overcome viruses in the past, I'll give you a clue, it wasn't through locking people away. Also look at how vaccines are made, honestly its like everyone eyes are wide shut.

Sweden and Japan are the model countries of this pandemic. When New Zealand, Greece and all the other countries who closed up their borders early, start opening up again, its going to be really tragic.
Don't obey blinding, fact find and use logical reasoning.

I could do it alone but maybe better with 1 or 2 people with me for motivation.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Ronrom wrote:the documentary Guns, germs and steal to give you an idea of how humans have overcome viruses in the past, I'll give you a clue, it wasn't through locking people away.

Yeh, I've read the book, and my recollection is that humans have "overcome" viruses, and other novel pathogens, in the past simply by dying in vast numbers, until we reach an equilibrium. If you're volunteering, that's heroic in a way, but not everyone wants to be obliged to join you.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:Yeh, I've read the book, and my recollection is that humans have "overcome" viruses, and other novel pathogens, in the past simply by dying in vast numbers, until we reach an equilibrium. If you're volunteering, that's heroic in a way, but not everyone wants to be obliged to join you.

:)
Rather reminds me of the folk of Cagliari who every year beginning of may offer thanks to saint efisio for the miracle of saving them from the plague centuries ago.
In fact something like half the population had copped it before the plague got bored.
So not such a miracle after all.
Saint efisio festival/thanks were cancelled this year.
Doubtless the saint will pop up again next year to receive its thanks for the new miracle.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ronrom wrote:Those 2 paragraphs someone made under the head line "I think it will be ok", in response to my previous post, is the cluelessness of todays british mentality, where thinking for ones self is a rarity and a conceding to a 'do as you are told' dictatorship ruling is for some stange reason is tolerated.

I referenced supermarkets, does that mean we should all buy online to save lives of nhs workers. After this lockdown I believe mental health conditions will be on the rise just like domestic violence is now.

What the documentary Guns, germs and steal to give you an idea of how humans have overcome viruses in the past, I'll give you a clue, it wasn't through locking people away. Also look at how vaccines are made, honestly its like everyone eyes are wide shut.

Sweden and Japan are the model countries of this pandemic. When New Zealand, Greece and all the other countries who closed up their borders early, start opening up again, its going to be really tragic.
Don't obey blinding, fact find and use logical reasoning.

I could do it alone but maybe better with 1 or 2 people with me for motivation.

Think for yourself, but act together.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
nirakaro wrote:Yeh, I've read the book, and my recollection is that humans have "overcome" viruses, and other novel pathogens, in the past simply by dying in vast numbers, until we reach an equilibrium. If you're volunteering, that's heroic in a way, but not everyone wants to be obliged to join you.

:)
Rather reminds me of the folk of Cagliari who every year beginning of may offer thanks to saint efisio for the miracle of saving them from the plague centuries ago.
In fact something like half the population had copped it before the plague got bored.
So not such a miracle after all.
Saint efisio festival/thanks were cancelled this year.
Doubtless the saint will pop up again next year to receive its thanks for the new miracle.

well thats religion for you? In bygone days plagues would be regarded as a judgement of god, so if you succumbed you deserved it, and if you survived you praised him for sparing you.
Ronrom

Post by Ronrom »

The virus isnt going away. The threat to live is still as big as it was a few months ago. THERE IS NO VACCIBE YET. So if the cases are going down, how do you think that is? vast death is already happening. If you read the book you would know that viruses just do not disappear. Like the Flu the quicker we globally get immune to it, the better. I went the Brighton yesterday and took the train back on an empty train. STOP LETTING MEDIA CONTROL YOU
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ronrom wrote:The virus isnt going away. The threat to live is still as big as it was a few months ago. THERE IS NO VACCIBE YET. So if the cases are going down, how do you think that is? vast death is already happening. If you read the book you would know that viruses just do not disappear. Like the Flu the quicker we globally get immune to it, the better. I went the Brighton yesterday and took the train back on an empty train. STOP LETTING MEDIA CONTROL YOU

You did what you wanted, because you wanted to. I guess that is the way you are.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Like the Austin Lounge Lizards song Big Tex's Girl;

"her friends were non-conformists, so she's non-conformist too"
Agitate, educate, organise.