I’m going to take my new toy on a journey. Where should I stay?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Marcus Aurelius

I’m going to take my new toy on a journey. Where should I stay?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

As soon as all this Covid-19 stuff calms down. I’m going to take myself on a mini tour ( probably European ). I was thinking of going to Girona, or Tenerife. I’ve not been to Girona before, and I’ve not been to Tenerife for about 8 years. Does anyone have any suggestions / links to decent bike friendly places ( not hostels ) in either place, that they care to share?
HarryD

Re: I’m going to take my new toy on a journey. Where should I stay?

Post by HarryD »

Easy one. From Girona how about a loop taking in Banyoles, Olot, Ripon, Berga and Vic. Lots of scenery, hills and historic villages. As you didn't state what distances or other preferences you can expand or contract the loop as you like. Head a bit further north for some bigger hills for example. So many good places to stay and I've yet to come across anywhere in Spain that hasn't provided secure indoor bike storage and after many 100's of nights.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I had planned to be in the Girona area in March, but will probably go in Sep / Oct now instead.
I have toured in Tenerife (in January); good if you like lots of hills; there aren't any flat roads at all. Stay away from Los Cristianos area.
Chris F, Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:As soon as all this Covid-19 stuff calms down...

Don't hold your breath.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
whoof

Post by whoof »

As the Bard said "make mine Majorca"!
Last edited by whoof on 20 May 2020, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Audax67 wrote:Don't hold your breath.

; - )

Jonathan
Marcus Aurelius

HarryD wrote:Easy one. From Girona how about a loop taking in Banyoles, Olot, Ripon, Berga and Vic. Lots of scenery, hills and historic villages. As you didn't state what distances or other preferences you can expand or contract the loop as you like. Head a bit further north for some bigger hills for example. So many good places to stay and I've yet to come across anywhere in Spain that hasn't provided secure indoor bike storage and after many 100's of nights.

I was thinking about 100 ish miles per ride, lots of hills preferably, so that’s good knowledge there, thanks.
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

I've been to Girona a few times.

No shortage of accommodation options.

If you want to spoil yourself, there is the swish Hotel Historic in the centre which has a cycling theme to it. A lot of old cycling jerseys up on the wall and of course is cycle friendly.

As HarryD has stated, there is some great cycling around and thankfully very few tunnels (which can be very numerous in some parts of Catalonia).

Town itself is nice but quiet sedate. Atmosphere feels French rather than Spanish. You don't get the buzzy vibe you get in similar-sized Spanish towns.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Lovely off-road former railway line trail leads from Girona out to Olot and the Pyrenees, uphill nearly all the way. When we did it on heavily loaded tourers in 35c heat (going uphill!) we got lots of cheers and bravos from locals on MTBs hurtling down the other way - they all got motorized lifts to the top of the hill! Really friendly and very pleasant area for cycling.

Oh, and if you go in the direction of the Pyrenees from Girona brush up on your Catalan - in small towns there they are not keen on Spanish - even menus are often Catalan only.
Marcus Aurelius

jacobean wrote:I've been to Girona a few times.

No shortage of accommodation options.

If you want to spoil yourself, there is the swish Hotel Historic in the centre which has a cycling theme to it. A lot of old cycling jerseys up on the wall and of course is cycle friendly.

As HarryD has stated, there is some great cycling around and thankfully very few tunnels (which can be very numerous in some parts of Catalonia).

Town itself is nice but quiet sedate. Atmosphere feels French rather than Spanish. You don't get the buzzy vibe you get in similar-sized Spanish towns.

That sounds pretty much exactly what I’m after. Hotel historic. I’ll look into that.
Marcus Aurelius

RobinS wrote:Lovely off-road former railway line trail leads from Girona out to Olot and the Pyrenees, uphill nearly all the way. When we did it on heavily loaded tourers in 35c heat (going uphill!) we got lots of cheers and bravos from locals on MTBs hurtling down the other way - they all got motorized lifts to the top of the hill! Really friendly and very pleasant area for cycling.

Oh, and if you go in the direction of the Pyrenees from Girona brush up on your Catalan - in small towns there they are not keen on Spanish - even menus are often Catalan only.

I like that as well.