Iv'e painted the house

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
cranky1

Iv'e painted the house

Post by cranky1 »

I've painted the house outside in between the rain of the summer. I've fettled the door that was a bit stuck. I've had my holidays and I have done lots of other jobs on mrs crankys list.

But now as the dark nights draw in I have finally got round to publishing my blog about my end to end in May. If you are interested the link is

http://mylejog.blogspot.com

If you have five minutes spare it's worth a look even though I say so myself.
Be carefull out there.
softpedal

end to end

Post by softpedal »

Thanks for the blog cranky, enjoyed it.
Ive got ambitions to do it next year, hope i can further than just reading about it.
Your never to old to become younger
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Well done on completing LEJOG, the DIY and the highly entertaining blog!

I loved the description of the Cornish B'n'B owners on your first morning!

Excellent!
Dee
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great!
Well done!

"a size mologist, so called because you get big earthquakes and little earthquakes."
Love it!

"At Helmsdale I met a bloke in the pub who spent his time panning for gold on his holidays with some success."

They had a Gold Rush there!

From my blog: "Helmsdale is a sweet little town, tucked between hills in the Helmsdale valley ...................... The town made it’s fortune with fishing, and was once home to the largest herring fishing fleet in Europe - the industry has long since gone. I believe they even had a Gold Rush there in the mid 19th century!"
Mick F. Cornwall
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Great Blog!

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

mick F wrote

They had a Gold Rush there!

Yes apparently it was shut down because of the mess of the shanty town that sprung up as a result. Even though the local lord was charging £1000 a go for a license the locals protests and the upset caused to cattle grazing was enough to shut it down at the height of it's gold production.

So the gold is still there in them there hills and is according to the locals the most valuable and pure available.
Be carefull out there.
toontra

Post by toontra »

Well done cranky! Looks like I chose the better place to stay in Sennen. They had my breakfast waiting for me at 5.30am. Cold stuff only mind, but better than nothing.

If you're like me the blog was harder work than the cycling.
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Toontra

I can only apologise for not mentioning meeting you at Sennan and your good company. I think this is because i started writing notes on day one and like when I go to the shops can only remember what i have written down. those energy drinks that you left for me also came in handy when I managed to get them open.

Anyway yes it was a it of a learning experience writing a web blog. I know that you can get them to do all kinds of fancy tricks but believe me I was at my limit getting a few pictures installed, unlike the end to end I think I can say web blog never again.

As for the hostel at leominster it was clean, I had a shower, think I hired a towel. No breakfast was a bit rough but at least there was a cafe open when I set off and the staff were very pleasent.

Other guests even described it as the best they had stayed in, but they also thought that hostels were now getting a bit soft as you no longer had to make your own bed - and I mean start by gathering some wood and straw.

Welldone on your six day ride as well.
Be carefull out there.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Well done Cranky.

You make it sound like a walk in the park - which I know it isn't.
You were so lucky with the weather, hope I get the same next May.
Did you book accommadation ahead or just risk it. I intend to take my chances although Mick F. is against this. I just don't know how much I will manage each day. So many decisions???
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

Island girl

I have done lejog twice. the first time like you I did'nt know what was in store and didn't know how far I could manage day after day. I had a good idea of where i wanted to head for but didn't feel that i could plan with any certainty. This had its advantages in that you simply go until you feel like you want to stop and start looking for somwhere to stay.

The disadvantage is that that place might be well off your route or even unavailable as nearly happened to me at Peebles. Not all B nBs are happy to give accomodation to cylists and some hotels can be very snotty.

The other disadvantage is having to start looking for somwhere at a reasonable time and doing a shorter day than hoped.

By booking in advance all you have to do is get there. You don't have the worry of getting a bed for the night so you can extend your miles a bit or take it a bit slower just give them a ring at about four o clock so they dont let someone else have it and in the summer you can take as long as you like getting there.

Also the first time I did it I hadn't pre booked the return train so when we got to wick we couldn't bring the bikes back on the train with us and had to post them in makeshift cardboard boxes.

All in all I would say that it easier to pre book. But whatever you decide to do good luck and enjoy.
Be carefull out there.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Just read your excellent account Cranky-well done- and realise you set off 2 days before me.
I love reading about other people's trips and all the different experiences and people you meet. I've also done it twice now by different routes and each was as good and memorable as the other.
You could almost do it every year by a different route and enjoy it just as much. I'm also amazed at how many people do it-I live in Penzance and now that I keep my eyes open for them there are end to enders nearly every day in the town from April to Sept.

Still writing my account but nearly finished.
island girl

Post by island girl »

cranky wrote:The other disadvantage is having to start looking for somwhere at a reasonable time and doing a shorter day than hoped.

Good point.Cranky.

cranky wrote:By booking in advance all you have to do is get there. You don't have the worry of getting a bed for the night so you can extend your miles a bit or take it a bit slower just give them a ring at about four o clock so they dont let someone else have it and in the summer you can take as long as you like getting there

Coming round to this point of view. Think it might be the sensibe thing to do. After all I will have all day as you say.