Pannier Advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AndyCr15

Pannier Advice

Post by AndyCr15 »

Hi all, I just got an Orbea Gain F20 for commuting and was wondering about perhaps kitting it out with Panniers. I'm liking the look of the Ortlieb stuff, which I believe is well respected. Maybe a rack like this and a bag like this.

Any thoughts?

mjr

Re: Pannier Advice

Post by mjr »

AndyCr15 wrote:Any thoughts?

Ortleib good. Cycle Republic's website is awful. Do your seat stays have mounting points for the rack's front arms to attach to? It's probably all good solid stuff, as it should be at that price.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very pleased with all of of our Ortlieb bags, including the ability to obtain replacement bits and the ease of fitting them.

Nothing that trendy, however.

Jonathan
AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

mjr wrote:Ortleib good. Cycle Republic's website is awful.

I don't seem to have any issues with their site? I'm going to be buying with a Cycle2Work code, so need to use them Halfords or Tredz.

mjr wrote: Do your seat stays have mounting points for the rack's front arms to attach to?

Fairly sure I do. I've just not actually managed to get the small rubber stoppers out yet :lol:
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

AndyCr15 wrote:Hi all, I just got an Orbea Gain F20 for commuting and was wondering about perhaps kitting it out with Panniers. I'm liking the look of the Ortlieb stuff, which I believe is well respected. Maybe a rack like this and a bag like this.

Any thoughts?

I doubt that you'll be disappointed with that combination as long as you have the fixing points on your bike and adequate heel clearance. The rack doesn't seem to have any triangulation to it's construction so will be a bit less rigid than a Tubus, but I don't know if any of the Tubus racks are built to be compatible with that newest fixing system. In any case a bag like that isn't going to be carrying too much weight and flexing isn't going to be an issue.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If that is the style of bag you want then fine, don't read any further.

Its not really "panniers" and is a lot of money for one bag, nice as it may be (designer object). Likewise the rack is probably very good, but expensive and more than you need to carry that bag. If it is all available as a package with your bike as part of a cycle to work scheme then I suppose it is an easy way to get it all sorted. However....

For about 50 quid less, you could get a pair (ie 2) of Ortlieb panniers. You can use individually and they have a shoulder strap for off bike use. Two panniers could be useful if you decide to do a bit of touring or maybe even a decent shop.

That rack is expensive, coming out at a similar price to the much more fancied steel Tubus ones. Also, its a bit over engineered for you with the extra rail, which is useful if carrying something like a tent on top of the rack, but unlikely in your case. I replaced a similar designed rack on my non touring bike with a lightweight Tortec rack (£25), which looks better and weighs a couple of hundred grams less. Aesthetically, I think those extra rail racks can look a bit like scaffolding on the back of a nice bike.

Sorry, but you did ask.

Finally, don't forget mudguards if you are commuting.
AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

simonhill wrote:For about 50 quid less, you could get a pair (ie 2) of Ortlieb panniers. You can use individually and they have a shoulder strap for off bike use. Two panniers could be useful if you decide to do a bit of touring or maybe even a decent shop.

I replaced a similar designed rack on my non touring bike with a lightweight Tortec rack (£25), which looks better and weighs a couple of hundred grams less.

Thanks, do you have any links though, so I can see? :)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not directly relevant but I learn that Ortlieb started making panniers for bicycles when they got fed up with throwing away large quantities of off-cuts of their well-known plastic-coated fabric that they used in their then core-business, which was making side wraps for lorries... which reminds me of Wall's Ice Cream - they only went into the frozen food business - remember Walls frozen sausages? - 'cos they got fed up with having a ton of freezers doing nothing half the year, ice-cream sales being highly seasonal. And So It Goes...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jon.k

Post by jon.k »

Ortlieb front roller classics on a tubus fly rack work well for me. I also have a tubus airy rack which is slightly smaller and made of titanium - this looks good, although to clear my heels the panniers have to have their rearmost clip right at the end of the rack, on the curved bit.

The front rollers are really adaptable, easy to use, tough and a no nonsense way to carry everyday stuff on a bike. My original pair are still going strong after 10-12 years of daily use carrying all sorts of stuff.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

AndyCr15 wrote:
simonhill wrote:For about 50 quid less, you could get a pair (ie 2) of Ortlieb panniers. You can use individually and they have a shoulder strap for off bike use. Two panniers could be useful if you decide to do a bit of touring or maybe even a decent shop.

I replaced a similar designed rack on my non touring bike with a lightweight Tortec rack (£25), which looks better and weighs a couple of hundred grams less.

Thanks, do you have any links though, so I can see? :)

Just Google "Ortlieb panniers". Lots of pics with links come up. They also have a website for browsing. Doing that Google, I find that Front Rollers (small panniers that also fit on the back) are about £70. Larger rear panniers vary from £80 - £120. These panniers are in pairs. If you have a decent pannier, you can put a work specific bag inside the pannier when travelling, then have a nice dry and clean bag for the office.

The Tortec rack I have is an Ultralight. Again, Google "Tortec Pannier Racks" for details (c£25). There are lots of other racks available as mentioned above. The Tortec is reasonable and cheap one, there are also plenty of more expensive ones made from exotic materials that you may fancy. Browse some of the cycling shop websites for details or Google "Pannier Racks for Bikes".

I'm sure people on here will be happy to advise once you have whittled down your choices.
AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

simonhill wrote:The Tortec rack I have is an Ultralight. Again, Google "Tortec Pannier Racks" for details (c£25)

So this I assume?

Thanks.
slowster

Post by slowster »

With regard to the rack and bag linked to in the OP, the chief benefit of that particular very expensive combintion is the QL3 fixing system. If you don't need or want QL3, then there is little point in buying them.

That is not to say that QL3 is not desirable or worth paying for (at least for some people). The projecting hooks on panniers of the QL2.1 system are at best an unsightly irritation when carrying panniers or bags off the bike, and at worst they are a hazard (I always carry Ortlieb panniers with the hooks facing me, rather than facing away from me where they are more likely to catch on someone else's body or clothing).

QL3
QL2.1

AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

Actually, looking at those pictures, the 2.1 looks like it's more compatible with a 'regular' rack?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

AndyCr15 wrote:
simonhill wrote:The Tortec rack I have is an Ultralight. Again, Google "Tortec Pannier Racks" for details (c£25)

So this I assume?

Thanks.

Yes that's it. Don't forget to check that any rack is compatible with your bike re disc brakes if you have them.

Re Slowsters remark about pannier clips being a problem when carrying panniers off bike, I agree. Hence my comment about another bag in the pannier.

Also, there are plenty of other panniers about. Ortleib are one of the most respected, but it's worth looking at others as well. Personally I don't use them, preferring Carradice Super C's, but I use for touring rather than city use.
AndyCr15

Post by AndyCr15 »

SO for me to check, these points with the rubber stops in, are what I need for a pannier rack, right?