Recumbent trike tyres

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tigerbiten

Re: Recumbent trike tyres

Post by Tigerbiten »

I like a Big Apple on the back o my Sprint simply because I think it has the deepest section of rubber to wear away before I get to anything important.
Not so vital if I'm only trundling around my home patch but they come into their own when on a long tour as I don't wear the tyre out half way around.

I've still got Supremes on the front and I'm not sure what I'll change to when they wear out.

YMMV ......... :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

There's no contradiction between saying wider tyres are faster at the same pressure, and slower at the same level of drop (corresponding to comfort).
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I have 'GO-BIKE' tyres on the front of mine 406-50 made by Vredesteine.
Got them cheap @£10 each.
Been on for over 2yrs now without a "visit"! and no noticeable wear (they have a slight wavy pattern tread but basically 'slicks')
Seem to be better than the M racers I had before as my Av speed has gone from 11.6 to 14.8 mph comfy too
Marathon 406-47 on the rear, was on the trike when I got the ICE Qnt 4yrs ago.

On the Vortex I have M racers.
On the XL, M racer rear and Kojaks on the front

Durano's get my vote too. Pity you can't get them anymore. :(
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

nigelnightmare wrote:I have 'GO-BIKE' tyres on the front of mine 406-50 made by Vredesteine.
Been on for over 2yrs now without a "visit"! and no noticeable wear (they have a slight wavy pattern tread but basically 'slicks')
Seem to be better than the M racers I had before as my Av speed has gone from 11.6 to 14.8 mph comfy too

I was forgetting about the GoCycle tyres, which I think were made by Vredestein as the F-Lite folding tyre in 50-406. They are priced at £34-99 on the GoCycle web site.

You can definitely still get 28-406 Duranos, in both folding and wire bead versions.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

pete75 wrote:Schwalbe Big Apple on mine. They seem to work well.

I've been looking at BAs again, for my AZUB Origami. The current versions have Liteskin sidewalls and the Raceguard double nylon breaker. In that respect they are like Trykers and Racers. Where they differ is in the compound which is "Endurance" rather the "Speedgrip". Schwalbe say that tyre compounds are generally a balance between speed, grip and durability - select two out of three. Durable tyres tend to have speed but not grip. I have my suspicions that BAs don't have the best grip, which doesn't matter too much on a trike. I have a BA on the front of my RANS at around 40psi and if I stop on a hill and try to hold the bike on the front brake alone it does tend to slide backwards down the hill. There's not too much weight on the front under those circumstances of course.

The current BAs have quite a flat profile. The first version was much more rounded. I think the BAs are a real bargain and are a good choice for a trike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

nigelnightmare wrote:I have 'GO-BIKE' tyres on the front of mine 406-50 made by Vredesteine.

What's 2 years in terms of miles?
How much life do you take out of your tyres?

I used to get 10k miles from a set of Trykers, which was significantly more than I got from M Racers or other variants.
But then I used to really enjoy throwing the trike around - I used to brake, and corner, hard and fast when runoff/visibility allowed. I could really tell the difference when I put new rubber on, that "fresh out a pitstop" feeling F1 drivers talk about....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

10k miles on a set of fronts when having "fun" sounds about right.
I was getting roughly the same on Supremes.
Also if the tracking is slightly out then one tyre wears faster.

Back tyre was roughly half that while on tour.
But that was definitely related to how wet/steep/rough the road was.
My record is a Racer from new to down to carcass in 1k miles, but that was on a very wet trip up the west coast on england.

My trailer tyres tend to do double what my front tyres can do as long as a bearing isn't collapsing.
If you're planning on a lot of miles with a loaded Carry Freedom trailer then it my be wise to change to better quality bearings before you set off.

Luck ........ :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And you've seen what a loon I could be - that jump at draycote was unexpected, but certainly fun.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

FWIW, I like the Maxxis DTH. My average commute times over 6 days fell in both directions, and fell also over the longest up hill segment of 0.9 miles. I also like the feel of the tyres. I ran them at 60psi although the minimum on the sidewall is 85psi.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

What's 2 years in terms of miles?
How much life do you take out of your tyres?

I used to get 10k miles from a set of Trykers, which was significantly more than I got from M Racers or other variants.
But then I used to really enjoy throwing the trike around - I used to brake, and corner, hard and fast when runoff/visibility allowed. I could really tell the difference when I put new rubber on, that "fresh out a pitstop" feeling F1 drivers talk about....

About 7,500 sedate miles on the Qnt usually towing the trailer & dog, around 30kg (good for training).
The XL has just over 4,000 lively miles on it.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

I liked the Trykers too. I still have a half worn set that I put on in the winter with a Marathon Racer rear. My summer tyres are 28C Ones all round.
igauk

Post by igauk »

Duranos have stopped being made by Schwalbe, they're no longer listed in their print or online catalogues, although shops may well have stocks. What has been introduced are tubed versions of the Pro One, I've got a pair on order in 406 for my Moulton. I'm catiously optimistic they'll hit the fast rolling/flexible/puncture resistant sweet spot as I briefly ran the tubless version with a tube and they were very nice but such a pain to fit I gave up on them.
Moulton TSR 30
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

igauk wrote:Duranos have stopped being made by Schwalbe, they're no longer listed in their print or online catalogues, although shops may well have stocks. What has been introduced are tubed versions of the Pro One, I've got a pair on order in 406 for my Moulton. I'm catiously optimistic they'll hit the fast rolling/flexible/puncture resistant sweet spot as I briefly ran the tubless version with a tube and they were very nice but such a pain to fit I gave up on them.

I have just checked the schwalbe UK website. There's a new Schwalbe One tube type in 28-406. Still uses Raceguard though. You are right about the Duranos.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

UpWrong wrote:
pete75 wrote:Schwalbe Big Apple on mine. They seem to work well.

I've been looking at BAs again, for my AZUB Origami. The current versions have Liteskin sidewalls and the Raceguard double nylon breaker. In that respect they are like Trykers and Racers. Where they differ is in the compound which is "Endurance" rather the "Speedgrip". Schwalbe say that tyre compounds are generally a balance between speed, grip and durability - select two out of three. Durable tyres tend to have speed but not grip. I have my suspicions that BAs don't have the best grip, which doesn't matter too much on a trike. I have a BA on the front of my RANS at around 40psi and if I stop on a hill and try to hold the bike on the front brake alone it does tend to slide backwards down the hill. There's not too much weight on the front under those circumstances of course.

The current BAs have quite a flat profile. The first version was much more rounded. I think the BAs are a real bargain and are a good choice for a trike.

Flat profile is good. I remember years ago when Dunlop and Avon used to make tyres for motorbike and sidecar combos the profile was a lot flatter than the stuff they did for solo bikes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker