National Cycle Network - Grafham Water

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nick Puffin

National Cycle Network - Grafham Water

Post by Nick Puffin »

Anglian Water have closed the park and padlocked all the gates round the cycle path. They have told me in a tweet that it is to protect their staff from Covid-19. I've been cycling round there for years and have never seen one of their staff on the cycle way so that's clearly just an excuse.

Some of the path is part of the National Cycle Network - I'd have thought that there is some law against simply locking all these gates - particularly as the government has both eased lockdown and encouraged us all o to our bikes.

Is this a right of way? Are they breaking the law? And, if neither why haven't they placed signage on the NCN on the approaches to Grafham Water so that cyclists know there is no through road?
DrJohnJ

Re: National Cycle Network - Grafham Water

Post by DrJohnJ »

It's been closed for weeks, as have the carparks. I have seen people working on various parts of the route whilst I've cycled on the road around the reservoir. Not a problem atm.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

They’ve done the same at Rutland Water. All car parks closed and gates on the cycle path padlocked. I think it’s a bit mean to prevent even locals from using the paths. We often park at Whitwell and walk around and over the dam to Normanton church. There’s a cycle route that goes all the way around the reservoir which is now pretty much unusable. Along with the National Trust and Forestry England, I think there’s been an over-reaction. By all means close the car parks to stop people travelling, though now we are no longer in total lockdown, I don’t think even that is justified.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

TrevA wrote:They’ve done the same at Rutland Water. All car parks closed and gates on the cycle path padlocked. I think it’s a bit mean to prevent even locals from using the paths. We often park at Whitwell and walk around and over the dam to Normanton church. There’s a cycle route that goes all the way around the reservoir which is now pretty much unusable. Along with the National Trust and Forestry England, I think there’s been an over-reaction. By all means close the car parks to stop people travelling, though now we are no longer in total lockdown, I don’t think even that is justified.

No I would agree about the locked car parks possibly being unjustified. We live on the edge of the West Pennine moors with lots of walks / trails and initially the car parks were all locked. Especially as first weekend of lockdown people still flocked to the area. We are lucky we could choose trails and walks less often used and keep away from the worst of the crowds. As lockdown eased last week and more people started to drive to the area it was mayhem with on road parking......... the car parks were re-opened last Friday...... even so pick your days and places and you can still keep well away from crowds.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Nick Puffin wrote:Anglian Water have closed the park and padlocked all the gates round the cycle path. They have told me in a tweet that it is to protect their staff from Covid-19. I've been cycling round there for years and have never seen one of their staff on the cycle way so that's clearly just an excuse.

Some of the path is part of the National Cycle Network - I'd have thought that there is some law against simply locking all these gates - particularly as the government has both eased lockdown and encouraged us all o to our bikes.

Unfortunately the NCN doesn't have any special status as a right of way. Much of it is permissive and I suspect Grafham Water is among that number - I know Rutland Water certainly is.

As ever, OS maps are the easiest way to research what's an RoW and what isn't .
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Hello, I asked within CTC Cambs, RTR folk already aware - see response - the text below the dotted line. Suggestion is that OP reports using the online tool so there are two rather than one reports of this closure.

Good luck getting this opened up again!

============================================================================================================

I am already working on this - I was contacted by someone a few days ago and have been following up.

I understand that this closure is illegal, given that the cyclepath is a public RoW (bridleway). I have confirmation from the definitive maps officer. To quote his reply:

"....there are no emergency circumstances where Public Rights of Way should be closed in Cambridgeshire. "

If you have first hand evidence of the closure it would help if you could post a formal report using the county web reporting tool here:

<https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/libraries-leisure-culture/arts-green-spaces-activities/rights-of-way>

I am working with the person that earlier reported the closure - I have asked him to report it as above - which he has done - but a second report would be useful. The county should investigate now that they have a formal report.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The section across the dam isn't marked on OS maps as a bridleway. Most of the rest is.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cogwomble

Post by cogwomble »

There's a lady who cycles from Manton to Oakham and uses some of Rutland Water's network as part of her route.

She's campaigning that the section between Manton and Eggleton be re-opened, as she feels the road section to be too dangerous.

Cycling UK are actually behind her on this, but I'm not, nor do I think AW should re-open their paths; these aren't cycling routes, they're shared access pathways on private land.

Even on a normal day, it's difficult, if not impossible to socially distance yourself from others on the route.

Given the bins aren't being emptied, and the toilets won't be open, nor the cafe's en route, there will be a huge clean up needed should they be open without staff to take the care needed to the routes that people can't see. It's putting those staff at risk.

There's actually a bridleway that is ridable on bicycle between the top of Manton hill, and Egleton, that is on the other side of the A6006 between Oakham and Uppingham, so there's a non car laden route available to her.

I also think CUK could really be working to applauding cyclists who use the road network, and working with authorities to ensure the roads remain safe for cyclists; not lobbying a private company to put their staff at risk, especially when that private company is such a large part of cycling locally.
Richard Fairhurst

cogwomble wrote:There's actually a bridleway that is ridable on bicycle between the top of Manton hill, and Egleton, that is on the other side of the A6006 between Oakham and Uppingham, so there's a non car laden route available to her.

I'm intrigued - which route do you mean? Surely not via Martinsthorpe?

(A6003, not A6006 - the latter is the road from Melton to Hathern.)
cogwomble

Post by cogwomble »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
cogwomble wrote:There's actually a bridleway that is ridable on bicycle between the top of Manton hill, and Egleton, that is on the other side of the A6006 between Oakham and Uppingham, so there's a non car laden route available to her.

I'm intrigued - which route do you mean? Surely not via Martinsthorpe?

(A6003, not A6006 - the latter is the road from Melton to Hathern.)

Apologies, yes the 6003, you do skirt Martinsthorpe and then head to Gunthorpe.

I grew up in Oakham and spent a lot of time exploring around Rutland Water by cycle; I'm still quite local, in Stamford.
Richard Fairhurst

cogwomble wrote:Apologies, yes the 6003, you do skirt Martinsthorpe and then head to Gunthorpe.

I grew up in Oakham and spent a lot of time exploring around Rutland Water by cycle; I'm still quite local, in Stamford.

Me too - well, the growing up in Oakham bit, not the living in Stamford bit. Insofar as I have any climbing ability, it's because I lived at the bottom of Brooke Hill and used to regularly try and cycle up...

I can see why the lady in question is keen to have the path reopened, to be honest - it's a hilly area and skirting the reservoir is the best way to avoid the climbs. Years ago I remember taking a bunch of friends along the back road from Oakham to Uppingham via Brooke and Ridlington... I'm not sure they've ever forgiven me. But it's a long time since I've been back so I'll bow to your knowledge!
cogwomble

Post by cogwomble »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
cogwomble wrote:Apologies, yes the 6003, you do skirt Martinsthorpe and then head to Gunthorpe.

Me too - well, the growing up in Oakham bit, not the living in Stamford bit. Insofar as I have any climbing ability, it's because I lived at the bottom of Brooke Hill and used to regularly try and cycle up...

I can see why the lady in question is keen to have the path reopened, to be honest - it's a hilly area and skirting the reservoir is the best way to avoid the climbs. Years ago I remember taking a bunch of friends along the back road from Oakham to Uppingham via Brooke and Ridlington... I'm not sure they've ever forgiven me. But it's a long time since I've been back so I'll bow to your knowledge!

You grew up not far from me then. Brooke Hill used be my challenge on a Raleigh Burner. I lived off Welland Way, from 88 until I moved to Stamford about 15 year ago.
Richard Fairhurst

Definitely not far - we were at the corner of Trent Road and Brooke Road. My other childhood cycling recreation was chasing the learner drivers up the road, then shortcutting via Dee Close and Shannon Way and emerging in front of them...
cogwomble

Post by cogwomble »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Definitely not far - we were at the corner of Trent Road and Brooke Road. My other childhood cycling recreation was chasing the learner drivers up the road, then shortcutting via Dee Close and Shannon Way and emerging in front of them...

Haha, we used to do that as well :lol: